Heritage Owners Club

I almost bought...

a small combo amp. Our local music store was having their semi-annual music sale--"up to 75% off!"-- so I was hoping for a really good deal.

Unfortunately, it was only about 10% off--no deal for me. I can't believe these regularly sell for $499 (they're made in China). But, it sounded surprisingly good!

lg_NT15H_front.jpg

I also tried out one of these:

Roland-Micro-Cube-RX.jpg

But I was looking for something with a bit more features. Then, I stumbled onto this:

Vypyr75front-dc9953b0b02fe6d862af613c9d99e6b0.jpg

It's the same price as the Roland, so I might get one soon. The store's sale price, when tax was added, was the same as everyone else's everyday price.

Yeah, it's solid state (though they have tube versions as well--60W & 120W), but it has the sounds I'm looking for. Plus, If I get it before June, they'll send me a free footswitch pedal.

Oh yeah--I almost bought this as well. If they would have knocked more than $200 off, I might have bought it right then and there. It's been hanging there for over a year, so maybe they'll reduce it even further sometime. Maybe someday...

post-12-1270088761_thumb.jpg

Wow! You have got me thinking about buying an amp again - I have only got Blues Junior, Fender Frontman G15 and a Roland Keyboard amp (KC series). But I want something diffrent. Probably best to invest in an amp after my next guitar purchase.

Thought I was the only one doing almost bought threads.

The Jackson you posted is the only stand out for me amongst the other "almost bought" items.

I also had a day of almost bought but wasnt going to say anything after the last fiasco. Seems the gas or the desire to reward/indulge (what ever it is) didnt dissipate entirely after the recent ordeal. Still trying to fill some mysterious gap. Bought an amp home on approval. It failed......and Ive been gassing about it for so long it hurts.... it failed to ignite any sparks within me once I compared it to what I already have.

Maybe I should just get on and do some home renovation and leave gear alone for a while.

Most of the tone come from the amp and a great amp brings out the sound of the guitar. As I attempt to cover all the basic tones.... Tweed, Blackface, Vox, Marshall, ???? I decided like Slate said... buy cheep buy twice. Getting a vox valvetronix I figured out what flavors I wanted but Model amps just don't have the dynamics and give me ear fatigue. So, I use it as a sample and like T-steel demonstrated, there is so much temptation out there.

Was over at Nolatone this morning watching Paul sodder up a prototype british flavour junebug he will use to test my build. Paul said learning where to cut the wire was one of the most important lessons in build quality as I witnessed his assemble skills. Not as much variaty as guitar denter but a great experence. Through this forum I feel a direct connection to kzoo and the people build my guitars. There are many builders we can buy directly from and at a reasonable cost. To a certain extent this is a golden age for botique builders. With three tube amps at home and two being built I should be set. All five can swap cabs/speakers so I'm set for life now.

I'm still tempted by the Vox Night Train--it sounded really good! I just have a hard time paying $500 for nothing more than a couple of tubes, a circuit board, and a shiny chassis.

Yes I was tempted to buy the Night Train too. I wanted AC15 tones - Vox and P90s. Ordered a Hayseed from Valvetech for not much more money. More options and direct from the builder. Can't wait.

I now have 5 amps and growing. That Mesa is sure a strange looking bird, wonder how that one sounds. TS, I say go for it.

I think I have you beat:

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia - I actually have two: one stays at church, the other stays home.

Vox AC15H1TV - I just had Don Butler replaces the junk Chinese transformers with Mercury Magnetics, and go through the amp. Awesome!

Reinhardt 18 - best Marshall 18 watt clone being made. Beautiful amp.

'69 Marshall 50 head - what can I say. This is the amp I wish I had as a kid. My tone would have been sooooo muuuuuch beeeeeeeeeeeeter!!!

'69 fender Pro reverb - It's vintage Fender, need I say more?

'66 Fender Super Reverb - This and the Twin Reverb are the king of clean.

Xits X10 - On oder. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

I'm still tempted by the Vox Night Train--it sounded really good! I just have a hard time paying $500 for nothing more than a couple of tubes, a circuit board, and a shiny chassis.

Have you tried the Orange Tiny Terror combo ? The local shop got a batch of Orange amps in and I'm having a hard time resisting. It's killer little amp, the overdrive tones are very good indeed. The only thing I find it lacks is reverb.

Have you tried the Orange Tiny Terror combo ? The local shop got a batch of Orange amps in and I'm having a hard time resisting. It's killer little amp, the overdrive tones are very good indeed. The only thing I find it lacks is reverb.

I've actually been looking around the past few days to see if any Tiny Terror's pop up in my area to maybe pick one up - I played one a while back and was a nice little high gain monster! (it was the 15watt/7watt combo that I had played)

Tomorrow is supposed to be a crappy weather day, so I'm thinking of going to look at two amps, a Louis Electric Buster and a Reason Bambino combo. The Buster is more than I want to spend, but I figure why not try it out. Nothing like filling the tank with premium GAS if you're going to get it...

Seems too good to be true..Did you get to hear it?

nope. should be interesting, just power & preamp tubes, no transformers. used to be an mp3 somewhere, but apparently it's been pulled over the link overwritten...

nope. should be interesting, just power & preamp tubes, no transformers. used to be an mp3 somewhere, but apparently it's been pulled over the link overwritten...

WOW!! Weird..Might be great though..Ya never know..

WOW!! Weird..Might be great though..Ya never know..

i had a THD Bivalve briefly. you could mix&match any two power tubes ('cept EL84ish) & preamp tubes. it was neat. but output transformers play a big part in final sound. it'll be interesting to hear something without. i kinda expect very hi-fi (which i like) and read we should expect extremely immediate response to picking...wish someone'd plugged in in that video above...

i had a THD Bivalve briefly. you could mix&match any two power tubes ('cept EL84ish) & preamp tubes. it was neat. but output transformers play a big part in final sound. it'll be interesting to hear something without. i kinda expect very hi-fi (which i like) and read we should expect extremely immediate response to picking...wish someone'd plugged in in that video above...

Cool..We will expect a report when you buy one.. :)

well, if it ain't vaporware and if i can get a goodenuff job, that just might could happen :)

Sorry..hope you find something soon..

Sorry..hope you find something soon..

not at all, bud. i'm doing OK, just a little concerned about certain controversial insurancey kinda items that might crop up after COBRA expires. but i digress & that's for a different forum.

back to the OP - i love lotsa items here. speaking of Transatlantic, an acquaintance of mine came up with an amp mod to a blackface bassman once - the "bass instrument" channel was kinda Dumbley fender and the "normal" was getting marshally...he never finished it, called it the "Transatlantic".

for small combo i love my Juke 112 & recommend it or the Juke Coda. for cheap-o grab&go w/good sound i still like my Roland Cube 30 better than most anything i've tried. the ZT amps Club is looking interesting & going for mid-$400s or so...

cracks me up, good player, too

not at all, bud. i'm doing OK, just a little concerned about certain controversial insurancey kinda items that might crop up after COBRA expires. but i digress & that's for a different forum.

back to the OP - i love lotsa items here. speaking of Transatlantic, an acquaintance of mine came up with an amp mod to a blackface bassman once - the "bass instrument" channel was kinda Dumbley fender and the "normal" was getting marshally...he never finished it, called it the "Transatlantic".

for small combo i love my Juke 112 & recommend it or the Juke Coda. for cheap-o grab&go w/good sound i still like my Roland Cube 30 better than most anything i've tried. the ZT amps Club is looking interesting & going for mid-$400s or so...

cracks me up, good player, too

I feel your pain..My Cobra expired 12-31-09..I now pray everyday i don't get sick or have an accident..But anyway I've heard lots of good things about Juke amps.. Gotta tell ya though I just bought a Peavey Classic 30,and for an inexpensive amp it sounds great.. both the clean and overdrive channels..

T-Steel, I am here to tell you that Night Train is SICK! If that was out when I got my Vox, I might not have my Vox. It is light weight and OH what a sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love my AC50CP2, but it is a helluva paper weight. The sound is enough to make you cry so it is worth it.

Archived