Heritage Owners Club

Heritage finishes

Patrick

I am having a Golden Eagle custom built. I have requested that Floyd does the shading. I would love to get a similar finish to the '99 Centurion I see here on HOC in the Gallery. It appears to be an Antique Sun Burst (ASB). Can anyone confirm that? It also looks alot like the finish on the '93 Golden Eagle that I'm so horney for . . also shown on the HOC Gallery. That's the one that shows it was uploaded by "Gitfiddler" and shown along with a Sweet 16 and a few other gorgeous archtops. Thanks for your help!

The Centurion is in OSB ( Old Style Sunburst ) , although with the amount of flame and quilt that it has, it may look a bit different in pics.

Also , the person that designed and owned it prior to me was the head of the finishing department at Heritage and did that work himself.

Heritage Finishes

gallery_1051_3_121255.jpggallery_1051_3_157989.jpg

gallery_1051_3_233053.jpggallery_1051_3_24645.jpg

I couldn't help but post a few pics... :o

The Centurion is in OSB ( Old Style Sunburst ) , although with the amount of flame and quilt that it has, it may look a bit different in pics.

Also , the person that designed and owned it prior to me was the head of the finishing department at Heritage and did that work himself.

Heritage Finishes

gallery_1051_3_121255.jpggallery_1051_3_157989.jpg

gallery_1051_3_233053.jpggallery_1051_3_24645.jpg

I couldn't help but post a few pics... :o

FredZepp;; Thanks for the pics. That's the finish I want on my new Golden Eagle!! I am concerned that if I just specify OSB, I'm gonna get a much darker shading on the rims than what I see in your pics. The ASB seems like it would be a little too light in color for me. Could you please take a peek at the '93 Golden Eagle, also shown in the Gallery (I think you might have told me that was once your guitar?? or is it Mars'? . . . . I get you guys mixed up) That's also a great finish and the GE looks awsome in that color.

OSB :o Awesome finish. No matter the guitar.

Beauteous!! Bodacious, and b#tchin!! :o

FredZepp;; Thanks for the pics. That's the finish I want on my new Golden Eagle!! I am concerned that if I just specify OSB, I'm gonna get a much darker shading on the rims than what I see in your pics. The ASB seems like it would be a little too light in color for me. Could you please take a peek at the '93 Golden Eagle, also shown in the Gallery (I think you might have told me that was once your guitar?? or is it Mars'? . . . . I get you guys mixed up) That's also a great finish and the GE looks awsome in that color.

The Golden Eagle that I found in OSB is DCRon's. He has quite a few beauties.. :o

That finish looks pretty consistent with mine. Although you'd want to mention it when spec-ing it out, they seem like they are pretty consistent.

Of course you can always give them a pic of how you want it also.

Sorry to say that I haven't owned that one...

gallery_139_13_1132.jpggallery_1051_3_62664.jpg

Patrick, I think you might be referring to my '93 GE. DC Ron was the original owner.

If so, here's some pics for you. It is also OSB finish.

Keep in mind that if you want a specific shading, you can request it. Hope this helps.

Tim

heritagegoldeneaglebody.jpg

heritagegoldeneaglerear.jpg

Patrick, I think you might be referring to my '93 GE. DC Ron was the original owner.

If so, here's some pics for you. It is also OSB finish.

Keep in mind that if you want a specific shading, you can request it. Hope this helps.

Tim

heritagegoldeneaglebody.jpg

heritagegoldeneaglerear.jpg

Yep!! . . . . that's the one!! . . . . that's the finish. OSB . . . not ASB. I'm glad I asked you guys. I spoke with Marv 2 days ago and sent him the specs for the new GE. I specified ASB and confirmed it with him by telephone. I'll have to call him back on Monday to correct it to OSB. Thanks guys!

Is Floyd still the guy to request for the shading? I know he is getting up there in age. For some . . . that a good thing as they just keep getting better. For others, they may start to lose some of their technique and skills. I've never met Floyd, but I know he was THE best. Is that still the case?

But remember, too, Patrick, that there are variables in the spraying of any finish, not the least of which is the wood in any particular guitar and how it takes any given application of finish. Just suggesting that I'm sure you can get close to any given color, but the boys can't really guarantee that sort of thing.

But remember, too, Patrick, that there are variables in the spraying of any finish, not the least of which is the wood in any particular guitar and how it takes any given application of finish. Just suggesting that I'm sure you can get close to any given color, but the boys can't really guarantee that sort of thing.

Thanks yoslate. I'm aware of that. Also, I don't want it to be exactly like anyone elses. That's the beauty of hand crafted and hand finished. It's gonna be a custom made GE for me. The color of shading when specified as OSB will have it's own characteristics, but it will be OSB. I think I would have been disappointed (somewhat) if I left it as ASB. The only thing I'm gonna specify, is that I don't want the outside shading to be too dark. I don't want a solid look to it where I can't see the spruce grain. The shading on the 2 guitars I referenced is great. The Centurion and the '93 Golden Eagle. In fact, Gitfiddler's '93 GE is the vibe I'm going for. A couple of features that will make it "my guitar" will be;; I'm gonna have them substitute the Super Eagle split block inlays instead of the clouds . . . 3-1/4" body depth . . 17-1/4" body width and 20-7/8" body length. The F holes will be multi bound instead of a single white binding. The back will also be multi bound. Marv said he thinks he can scare me up one of the older style tail pieces. Similar to the one on Gitfiddler's '93 . . only, I'm gonna have them leave the plastic shield off and do an inlay of some sort in the ebony insert. I want the guitar to be tastily done with understated elegance. I don't want it too plain . . . but I don't want it to be gaudy either. Also, going for a 3 piece neck instead of a 5 piece.

Thanks yoslate. I'm aware of that. Also, I don't want it to be exactly like anyone elses. That's the beauty of hand crafted and hand finished. It's gonna be a custom made GE for me. The color of shading when specified as OSB will have it's own characteristics, but it will be OSB. I think I would have been disappointed (somewhat) if I left it as ASB. The only thing I'm gonna specify, is that I don't want the outside shading to be too dark. I don't want a solid look to it where I can't see the spruce grain. The shading on the 2 guitars I referenced is great. The Centurion and the '93 Golden Eagle. In fact, Gitfiddler's '93 GE is the vibe I'm going for. A couple of features that will make it "my guitar" will be;; I'm gonna have them substitute the Super Eagle split block inlays instead of the clouds . . . 3-1/4" body depth . . 17-1/4" body width and 20-7/8" body length. The F holes will be multi bound instead of a single white binding. The back will also be multi bound. Marv said he thinks he can scare me up one of the older style tail pieces. Similar to the one on Gitfiddler's '93 . . only, I'm gonna have them leave the plastic shield off and do an inlay of some sort in the ebony insert. I want the guitar to be tastily done with understated elegance. I don't want it too plain . . . but I don't want it to be gaudy either. Also, going for a 3 piece neck instead of a 5 piece.

Patrick, that sounds like it will be a truly classy, yet tasteful archtop. Are you planning on having it tap tuned?

Patrick, that sounds like it will be a truly classy, yet tasteful archtop. Are you planning on having it tap tuned?

Absolutely. I'm gonna request that Aaron Cowles does the tap tuning for me. I mentioned on a few of my posts that Aaron has already built me a 17" American Classic arch top (that's his model name) and he is currently building me an 18" American Classic. If you're unfamiliar with Aaron's work, you can see some of it and read about his history with Gibson on his web site www.aaronsmusicservice.com

Archived