Heritage Owners Club

550 question

sfss

Hi

I am going to buy a heritage guitar, but need help finding out which one. I kind of narrowed it down to a Super Eagle or 550. The Super Eagle is probably what I want but maybe the 550 would work as well. There are no dealers in MT so I have no way of picking one of each up and trying them. I want something that I can play unplugged around the house and with other guys around the house, I want double pickups for when i plug in. I have a Fender super reverb amp from the 60's to plug it into. My uncle has a super 400 ces, and I think thats kind of what I am looking for tone wise. I don't play jazz- old country alot of which was done with guys picking on big hollowbody archtop guitars. If you ever heard Hank Thompson , thats kind of the sound. My question is about the laminated top on the 550. I have a Gibson now ES-137 custom , Semi hollowbody with a big block in the center. Its not what I am looking for sound wise and it and has a laminated top, but also isn't full hollowbody either because of the center block.Also isn't very thick, Sounds more like a les paul that I thought it would.I thought it would grow on me and with the vari tone and archtop semi hollow body I thought I could get what I wanted out of it. I've tried every setting I can come up with and just can't get it to my liking. The biggest thing I think I miss is being able to play it unplugged so I would like to hear from some of the owners of 550's about what they sound like unplugged. I need to be able to get some acoustic qualitys out of what I buy to replace the one I have. I know the super eagle will do it, but didn't know about the 550.I know the 550 isn't going to cut like the big 18" body on the super eagle and the laminted top instead of solid spruce is going to be different. Different dosen't mean bad or not as good though, so I wanted to ask what people tought. I don't really want a real brassy tone, like Chet A. I like a more woody tone and strong bass notes. A lot of the tone is in a guys hands but wanted to get some advice. I wondered if there are any sound examples that could be listened to.Thanks for the help.

I would always suggest a solid wood guitar over a laminated wood guitar. If you like a Super 400 and don't mind paying the extra money for an Eagle then I would choose the Eagle over an H-550. My first Heritage was an H-550 custom built for me and it looked beautiful but I was used to playing a Super 400 and the plywood guitar didn't have it for me. This is just my experience.

The 575 mahogany has a spruce top; it's smaller (16") than the Eagle {Custom and Golden too} (17") and Super Eagle (18"). Acoustically the 575 mahogany is on par with an L-4.

I like what you're thinking...

Hi

I am going to buy a heritage guitar, but need help finding out which one. I kind of narrowed it down to a Super Eagle or 550. The Super Eagle is probably what I want but maybe the 550 would work as well. There are no dealers in MT so I have no way of picking one of each up and trying them. I want something that I can play unplugged around the house and with other guys around the house, I want double pickups for when i plug in. I have a Fender super reverb amp from the 60's to plug it into. My uncle has a super 400 ces, and I think thats kind of what I am looking for tone wise. I don't play jazz- old country alot of which was done with guys picking on big hollowbody archtop guitars. If you ever heard Hank Thompson , thats kind of the sound. My question is about the laminated top on the 550. I have a Gibson now ES-137 custom , Semi hollowbody with a big block in the center. Its not what I am looking for sound wise and it and has a laminated top, but also isn't full hollowbody either because of the center block.Also isn't very thick, Sounds more like a les paul that I thought it would.I thought it would grow on me and with the vari tone and archtop semi hollow body I thought I could get what I wanted out of it. I've tried every setting I can come up with and just can't get it to my liking. The biggest thing I think I miss is being able to play it unplugged so I would like to hear from some of the owners of 550's about what they sound like unplugged. I need to be able to get some acoustic qualitys out of what I buy to replace the one I have. I know the super eagle will do it, but didn't know about the 550.I know the 550 isn't going to cut like the big 18" body on the super eagle and the laminted top instead of solid spruce is going to be different. Different dosen't mean bad or not as good though, so I wanted to ask what people tought. I don't really want a real brassy tone, like Chet A. I like a more woody tone and strong bass notes. A lot of the tone is in a guys hands but wanted to get some advice. I wondered if there are any sound examples that could be listened to.Thanks for the help.

I got into hollowbodies because of Chet Atkins and Brian Setzer.

You are right abou the acoustic projection. The 550 won't be as strong unplugged. Plugged in, doesn't matter. Plywood and solidwood... well, that is up to your ears. They can both sound great and going Heritage you are getting quality either way.

The 550 was built in the way so much of Gretsch that it can have that southern spank of Chet and the like ESPECIALLY if you load it with TV Jones Classics with the humbucker mount.

Now, you can definitely play the same stuff on a Super. Might not have that SAME spank due to the bigger body but so long as you play the style well, you are golden. The Super costs a bit more though.

So, if money isn't the issue and you really want that acoustic quality, I say go Super.

If wanna really have that plugged in spank VERY close to the old Chet models and the acoustic thing is secondary to that and wanna save a few, I say go 550. The 550, in a nutshell, is Heritage's take on the old Nashville.

This is a hard one if you can't actually play the thing. Hit YouTube. See what you can find.

Have you tried Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter, FL? They are Heritage's largest dealer.

Wolfe Guitars

Currently, they have a new thin H550, as well as a used 2004 H550 in stock.

p4_ucc40vhme_so.jpg

p2_uz2hqbn2u_so.jpg

I have listened to the sound sample they have on youtube of the red 550 they have. It's a little thinner than the normal 550 I think. But the sound is to Chet A. sounding for what I am looking for- a little to brassy or bright sounding if tht makes any sense. I know the sound when I hear it. Its hard to explain.

If you've already had a taste of a Super 400, then I agree with Orangepicker. Get an Eagle, Super Eagle or Golden Eagle.

Thats kind of the conclusion that I have come to. I better get what I want or I would be replacing it. So I think the super Eagle is what I am going to end up with. I have seen some of the classic Eagles that are relly nice looking outfits with double pickups, but for some reason I like inlays on the board. Plus the super eagle is a little bigger body, and will cut more. I don't think you could go wrong either way however. I do want double pickups. Thanks for the reply

The 575 mahogany has a spruce top; it's smaller (16") than the Eagle {Custom and Golden too} (17") and Super Eagle (18"). Acoustically the 575 mahogany is on par with an L-4.

I like what you're thinking...

I kind figured the 575 was like the L4 and the 17" body eagles were like a L5 and the super was like a super 400. I think i may as well plan on getting a super eagle. Thanks for the reply

I have a 550. Unplugged it is about as loud as other full size hollowbody electrics I have played. Enough acoustic volume for bedroom practicing. I went for a laminate body because it reduces feedback in a band situation and it should be more durable and resistant to climate changes than a solid wood guitar.

BTW Amazon sells Godin 5th Ave acoustic archtops for $381 now ("see price in cart"), it should be loud enough for playing with others. I ordered one last night.

Hi

Based upon your description of what you want to play, the Super Eagle is the way to go. If you buy an H 550 . . . . then you had better be able to afford 2 guitars. Because, your gonna fall in love with the 550 . . . even though it's not giving you what you want. You won't be able to bring yourself to selling it . . . and then you're gonna buy the Super Eagle anyway. Which, if your budget will tolorate it, is not such a bad thing . . . 2 Heritages instead of one. There is a real nice Super Eagle, 2 pick up, in a dark almond sunburst finish on ebay right now. It's out of San Antonio TX. I think the BIN price is $3,125 . . . . which is a great price. If you go onto ebay, just type Heritage Super Eagle into the search engine and it should bring you to it.

Archived