Heritage Owners Club

Gibson or Heritage?

CrazyWolf

Hello,

I am new to this thread and I need your valued assistance.

I would like to buy a new Les Paul guitar and I finally can afford a high end one.

This might be a common question, but please enlighten me on the choice between a Historic Gibson Les Paul 58 or 59 and a Heritage H-150.

Please note that I am located in Greece, where there is no choice of Heritage guitars to try.

Any opinion, comment, suggestion would be of great value.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the HOC!

Well I don't know where to begin, because there are so many points.

I bought a used H150 which I never played before but had the option to give it back if I didn't like it.

Let me tell you this: this guitar will stay with me till the end of my days!!! It's the best LP I have ever played.

Heritages are all truly handmade guitars, produced at the old Gibson factory at Kalamazoo.

Heritage was found by former Gibson employees which stayed at Kalamazoo when Gibson moved to Nashville.

They mostly still use the old Gibson machines and tools. They built the guitars just like in the old days. And you can actually feel it and hear it.

Even if you buy a Gibson Reissue today it's not a truly handmade guitar. It's a mass production guitar nowadays.

There are people who say that if you wanna buy a "59" LP today buy a Heritage! (Actually I'm one of those people)

Also consider the price. You get a knew H150 for half the price you would pay for a Gibson Historic.

I am from Germany and found my H150 online in a guitar shop. I was lucky, because used ones are very seldom.

Sometimes a used H150 appears at Ebay. Just be patient and search all the european Ebay sites.

If you wanna buy a knew one I can recommend Realguitars from Germany.

They will ship all across Europe. They have a very nice upgraded H150 with SD Antiquities, CTS Pots, PIO Caps, Alu Tailpiece, Kluson type tuners and 50's wiring in stock. They say it also has a 59er neck. They also did some light aging to the guitar. The color is Faded Cherry Sunburst (which looks like Vintage Sunburst to me). Asking price is 2199.-€.

If you're looking for a knew one I would jump right on it. Great guitar with cool updates and look!

Hope I could help

Guido

This is very exciting. At times, we tend to forget (well, not for long) that we are truly an international community. CrazyWolf, when you get the Heritage H150 you are required to post pictures of it. :huh: It will be every thing you ever hoped for in an LP style guitar. When Guido says they still build the Heritages by hand, you can bet on that. Here's some pics of the factory to tease you a bit.

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

Dont fall into the gibson name trap! They are not nothing like they used to be--------> Get a heritage !!!!!!! the real deal!!! you will not be dissapointed gauranteed!

You will spend half the money and get 10 times the guitar, theres really no easier way to put it.

gibsons------> = assembly line, cheaper materials,no nestalgia, just another guitar. Heritage--------->= hand made from start to finish by luthiers,top quality materials right down to real mother of pearl inlays and flamed maple pick gaurds,will ooz nestalgia for the rest of it's life, not just another guitar but an actual piece of handcrafted artwork you can play.

I would say this decision is a no brainer (go with the heritage, hint,hint).

I believe Gibson *can* still make a great guitar but you are taking your chances if you don't get to play it first.

I've had two recent 335's and an ES-339. The tone and classic looks were there but the fit and finish were horrible, not to mention

really bad fretwork.

Heritage is a better bet.

A true vintage guitar, the Heritage is indeed handcrafted as they were in Gibsons golden age.

And Heritage buys better woods as a rule (only a few exceptions perhaps in the most high end Gibsons).

Buy the Heritage and see if you still want to try a Gibson afterwards.. but you won't. We hear it here often, those who try these rare guitars still made at 225 Parsons St are amazed at being able to buy a new, yet vintage instrument.

I have a Les Paul Studio (the old boring red with tarnished gold hardware) and it is a wonderful guitar...a bit beat up, but the action is better than any other guitar I own.

I also own a Heritage H 150 Custom, and love it to death. It is heavy, heavy, heavy, but I love that aspect of it (as well as Les Pauls)...it sustains forever. The other guys can clarify, but, I believe the H 150CM is the LP "Standard" of the Heritage line.

I do agree with the others that Gibson is suffering right now, and if you go the Les Paul route...go used and keep it pre-1995 (mine's a '91 and is a very solid guitar). Personally though, I think the H150 is the superior guitar...love the finish, action and, above all, love that tone!

Welcome to the HOC Crazywolf. If you follow through with your purchase of the H150 at Real Guitars, as described by Guido, you will soon understand the passion for Heritage that is expressed in the replies to your inquiry. I have several Heritages and I love them all. I currently do not have an H150 . . and I'm "on the hunt". I do have a Gibson '59 Historic Collection reissue (R9) that is a wonderful guitar and I love it. But I now need an H150 to complete my Heritage collection. HA!! I just realized what I said . . . . using the words "complete" and "collection" in the same sentence is oxymoronic. Once a person is bitten by the Heritage bug . . . . they never stop buying, thus, the collection is never complete. What I should have said is . . . "I need an H150 to further compliment my collection" . . . . yeah . . . . that's the ticket!!!

Welcome to the club Crazywolf. The Heritage H-150 is an excellent instrument, and if you are considering buying one new, you will save a considerable amount of money compared to that of a new Gibson Historic R8,9 and 60. Heritage puts some nice touches on their instruments such as "Mother of Pearl" inlay on the fretboard and headstock if requested. Also, the neck tenons are long which is not on a standard issue LP. Furthermore, the production at Heritage is considerably lower than Gibson. Hence, a greater attention to detail on the instrument. I suggest you visit wolfeguitars.com. Jay Wolfe is the largest Heritage dealer in America and has a wide variety H150 to meet anyones taste. He also ships overseas. Both Jay and Graham will be able to help you make the right choice.

Just one more comment about the Gibson reissues. Should you decide to by a Gibson Historic, I urge you to look for one made between 2002-2004. They were making great LP during that period.

Just one more comment about the Gibson reissues. Should you decide to by a Gibson Historic, I urge you to look for one made between 2002-2004. They were making great LP during that period.

:huh: My '02 LPS was a killer guitar!! My '05 LPS, not so much.

Hello Crazywolf, Welcome to the club – the members here are fantastic…I have learnt a lot from them.

I think that all you need to know has already been said, but I wanted to add that I would advise you to go for a Heritage guitar instead of Gibson. Gibson Les Paul ‘58 reissue is virtually the same as the ’59 reissue at a lower cost. However, buying a Gibson guitar can be “hit and miss” at the best of times and they hardly compare to Heritage guitars in my opinion. All the Gibson’s that I have tried lately cannot be compared to Heritage guitars. I own a few Gibson’s (including Les Paul’s), which I like and would not sell because they are part of my guitar collection, but I always gravitate towards my Heritage H-150 whenever I play or practice. This is simply because Heritage makes fantastic instruments. In my humble opinion, Heritage is the Number One/Premier Guitar builder today.

Welcome to the club Crazywolf. The Heritage H-150 is an excellent instrument, and if you are considering buying one new, you will save a considerable amount of money compared to that of a new Gibson Historic R8,9 and 60. Heritage puts some nice touches on their instruments such as "Mother of Pearl" inlay on the fretboard and headstock if requested. Also, the neck tenons are long which is not on a standard issue LP. Furthermore, the production at Heritage is considerably lower than Gibson. Hence, a greater attention to detail on the instrument. I suggest you visit wolfeguitars.com. Jay Wolfe is the largest Heritage dealer in America and has a wide variety H150 to meet anyones taste. He also ships overseas. Both Jay and Graham will be able to help you make the right choice.

Where did you hear that Heritage is using long neck tenons? They are not . . . and they will not.

Welcome to the HOC......I don't have a 150 but I do have the 157 and 2 others 535 and 575.....you can not go wrong with a Heritage........good luck and let us know how you make out.....

I think I will just keep my mouth shut and stay out of this discussion....

I think everyone knows how I feel. If not, do a search.

Yep, trying to keep my mouth shut...... very hard...... but still shut.......

Kuz . . . you don't have to say a word. Your photos speak for you. . . in volumes and in volume!!!

I am lucky I found you guys here...you have been most helpful. I will go for a Heritage and send you pics of her. It will be either from Wolfe in the US or Realguitars in Germany.

However, due to the US$ being so high now, I dunno if it is worth importing from the US though. But I know Wolfe have the best collection in the world. I will see.

In case you have a link in the forum with pics of H150 please send it to me.

Thanks again! :D

Hello Costas,

Wolfeguitars is a great place to buy a Heritage. You can get knew and used ones.

To get the prices you usually have to call or write an email. But I'm sure you already checked the website.

It's still worth a thought to import guitars even with the low Euro at the moment.

But make sure you know how much taxes you have to pay in your country.

And be aware that the tax you have to pay always includes the shipping costs.

For example: if I would buy a guitar for 2000$ and it is shipped for 200$, I would have to pay taxes for 2200$.

In Germany I would have to pay 19% value added tax (VAT) plus 3% (for electric guitars) customs.

So in total I wold have to pay 2648$ which equals 2095€.

But you definately have to check how much your VAT and customs taxx is in Greece.

Keep us informed!!!

Guido

I am lucky I found you guys here...you have been most helpful. I will go for a Heritage and send you pics of her. It will be either from Wolfe in the US or Realguitars in Germany.

However, due to the US$ being so high now, I dunno if it is worth importing from the US though. But I know Wolfe have the best collection in the world. I will see.

In case you have a link in the forum with pics of H150 please send it to me.

Thanks again! :D

Pictures of Heritage guitars, including H150s.

LOL, I chuckled when I saw your post Kuz.

LOL, I chuckled when I saw your post Kuz.

Thanks Pegleg.... hard to keep shut.... but still it is closed....... oh, what the heck...."Heritage Guitars Rule! Are you crazy for thinking about a mass produced Gibby?"

Oh, shoot, I knew my silence couldn't last!!! :occasion13:

Thanks Pegleg.... hard to keep shut.... but still it is closed....... oh, what the heck...."Heritage Guitars Rule! Are you crazy for thinking about a mass produced Gibby?"

Oh, shoot, I knew my silence couldn't last!!! :occasion13:

ROLF, made my day, and by the way I agree with you!!!!!!

Archived