Heritage Owners Club

Gibson or Heritage?

CrazyWolf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play as many les Pauls as you can in your area. If one really strikes you as "the one," get it, if it doesn't say Heritage on the headstock so what. If I had to buy online I'd likely get a heritage 150, an early 90s Les Paul Classic or maybe even a used R7 or R8.

There's a local shop that has Heritages and pretty much every one plays and sounds great that I've picked up over the last 10 or so years - that says ALOT.

BUT I wouldn't let what the headstock shape is, or what it says dictate one way or the other. A good guitar is a good guitar, and to me that matters a whole bunch more than anything else.

That being said, here's my sweety:

IMG_5165.jpg

Thanks Pegleg.... hard to keep shut.... but still it is closed....... oh, what the heck...."Heritage Guitars Rule! Are you crazy for thinking about a mass produced Gibby?"

Oh, shoot, I knew my silence couldn't last!!! :lol:

Lol Difficult to keep quiet about something that is true. But you did not have to say anything, I could hear you....keep spreading the word. :thumbsup:

Play as many les Pauls as you can in your area. If one really strikes you as "the one," get it, if it doesn't say Heritage on the headstock so what. If I had to buy online I'd likely get a heritage 150, an early 90s Les Paul Classic or maybe even a used R7 or R8.

There's a local shop that has Heritages and pretty much every one plays and sounds great that I've picked up over the last 10 or so years - that says ALOT.

BUT I wouldn't let what the headstock shape is, or what it says dictate one way or the other. A good guitar is a good guitar, and to me that matters a whole bunch more than anything else.

IMG_5165.jpg

one of my favorite Heritage finishes...nice 150!

My only caveat to this would be... if you can get an equally great sounding, looking, and playing guitar YET still support a company with ethics, value, and passion that you respect.... then I would choose that company.... Heritage Guitar Comapny.

If you don't care about old-school craftsmanship, integrity, ect... then yes there are a lot of great sounding guitars out there that are just that... guitars.

There is no right or wrong answer, just a matter of choice.

If I remember correctly.. Heritage doesn't use a long or short tenon.. it's somewhere in between the two....

Ya see . . . . now there's an intelegent response. It's the same thing I keep telling my wife. It's not long . . . . and it's not short. It's somewhere in between.

Aaaah, okay. But why sugar coat it, how 'bout you tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Well, yea, I have never been accused of not speaking my mind. For right or for wrong, I speak what I believe.

I really agree with everything that you stated, I just added a little to it. :thumbsup:

IMG_5165.jpg

God DAMN . . . . that's a pretty guitar!!!!

Hey Crazy Wolf! Thanks for stopping by! Welcome to the HOC!

You are going to get a biased answer here... but it is the right answer! haha. About as right as an answer to this sorta question can be.

Sort of a trick question though. Gibson is no longer what Gibson was and Heritage is everything Gibson once was and, arguably, better.

I mean, just look at the pictures of the members' guitars! Look at the one in my avatar! These aren't just once in a lifetime freak shows of quality! These are commonplace! Unique in their own right.... but the only REAL standard equipment on a Heritage is quality.

Mmmh we didn't hear anything from you quite a while now.

I'm wondering if you already decided which guitar it should be?!

I just can tell you that I went to Realguitars today and that the H150 they have looks absolutely astonishing.

herih1501july.jpg

Personally I think it's the nicest H150 I saw so far. The aging they did really looks great.

And the tone is AWESOME!!! The Antiquities sound great in this axe.

The only thing that needs to be changed is the bell shaped trussrod cover.

But they told me they will fix this beauty flaw immediately! :BangHead:

So if you're still looking for the best deal: that's it!

Guido

I've got a first year 1988 Heritage CM150, and some Les Pauls.

I think where Heritage score is consistency.

The Heritages I have played have all been uniformally excellent, whereas it took me a long time to find my LP's.

I think a good Les Paul can equal the Heritage, but you have to find 'em!

Being shallow I always like to point out that if I wanted a Gibson 335 not only would it cost FAR more than it is really worth but I would have the model T of guitars....I can have a 335 in ANY colour I want, so long as its red.

Wouldn't you like to actually have choice in the colour and other appointments on an axe you're gonna spend serious dosh on?

OK, I was being a bit facetious, I'm aware that 335s come in other colours but the VAST VAST majority seem to be in red. Typical of Gibson though their guitars simply don't come in all that many colours. Same problem with the Les Paul or SG. Maybe Fender spoiled me and I am used to being able to choose from 9-10 different colours....I'm sick of seeing red 335s and SGs and burst LPs.

Beautiful! What "aging" did they do?

They did some light aging to the bridge and tailpiece to match the Antiquities.

The Kluson type tuners are aged and also the inlays. The inlays really look great. Just like in an old LP.

They pretty much left the body untouched, which I prefer.

It's a really awesome looking axe and also for a good price.

Unfortunately I can't afford it right now, otherwise I would have bought it right away.

I'm actually thinking about selling my H150 to be able to buy this beauty!

Guido

OK, I was being a bit facetious, I'm aware that 335s come in other colours but the VAST VAST majority seem to be in red. Typical of Gibson though their guitars simply don't come in all that many colours. Same problem with the Les Paul or SG. Maybe Fender spoiled me and I am used to being able to choose from 9-10 different colours....I'm sick of seeing red 335s and SGs and burst LPs.

Sorry JJ, but cherry is the ONLY color for a 535.

gallery_790_192_184393.jpg

Ok, maybe sunburst... gallery_409_84_469031.jpg

:D

Thanks. It does look like a great deal for those in the EU. Buying it and having it sent back to the US would result is a cost of about $3200. That is about a $1000 more than you can find a new one over here. But I really do think this one is a beauty.

Archived