37 members have voted

1. 1.

• I'm a drummer
    • Yes: Flying V
    • No: Firebird
    • No: Flying V
    • Don't care
    • I'm a drummer

In my  post on custom Heritages, a few people have mentioned Firebirds and Flying Vs

So here's your chance to vote on the subject...

You can have a max of two votes which should be enough to make your feelings known.

The "I'm a drummer" option is for people who don't understand the question >:D

Have fun ;D

Cosmikdebris:

I appreciate your role in starting threads, and you've started several lately from which I've gleaned some useful ideas, but I'm trained as an academic, and we have this "thing" about crediting people for ideas.

Cod65 started a thread entitled:

Viva h-357!

« on: January 19, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

which began:

"I want to start a campaign to bring back the 'firebird' based design"

...there was a three page discussion. 

Cool to restart the discussion, but wanted to give Cod65 props for the idea, at least ala firebird/357.

I've already commented on that thread ala firebird;

On Gibson's other experimental guitar shapes: I owned a very early ibanez explorer copy --I don't think they had even gone to the 'destroyer' label-- and that guitar had a fantastic neck, good sound, balanced well, all in all was a truly great guitar.  But, I could never bring myself to play it in public, and I eventually sold it to a rocker who glued coins all over a beautiful Korina body.  I wouldn't walk out on stage with a V (even though I'm a big Albert King and Lonnie Mack fan), and the same would would go for a moderne, and all the pointy modern day equivalents.  I'm from the Miles Davis school of self presentation --it's about the music, not about the showmanship.  (I'm about evoking a cool arrogance --because for years I was scared shitless by stagefright and not letting it show was about the best I could do.)  I've always had to play with dynamic frontmen, or better yet great female vocalists, because I know 1) playing live is about both the music and putting on a show, and 2) Sometimes I think I suck at the former, but I absolutely know I suck at the latter. 

Sure V's they have great neck access, but mostly it's about the show, and for me to walk out on stage with one would be like Gene Simmons hunched over a double bass.  I don't think Heritage has or is likely to gain a customer base that would buy many "V's;"  Heritage pointy guitars never found much of a market, even though they are interesting guitars.  As I said about the Firebird ...maybe a custom run, and only after Yoslate gets his Super. 

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh Cosmik,

I was thinkin' that! ;)

Have been toyin' with the idea of a Flyin' V for few weeks now ( you know what it's like......!) but I don't really feel like goin' the "Jap" way; ESP, Tokai,..and definitely not the Korean way. :(

If Heritage e-v-e-r built a Flyin' V I'd but it like o shot! :P

Actually....I better stop thinkin' about it otherwise I'll end up buyin' one before thay even start thinkin' of producin' it... 8)

Cosmikdebris:

I appreciate your role in starting threads, and you've started several lately from which I've gleaned some useful ideas, but I'm trained as an academic, and we have this "thing" about crediting people for ideas.

Cod65 started a thread entitled:

Viva h-357!

« on: January 19, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

which began:

"I want to start a campaign to bring back the 'firebird' based design"

...there was a three page discussion. 

Cool to restart the discussion, but wanted to give Cod65 props for the idea, at least ala firebird/357.

I'd certainly no intention of stealing ideas for threads from others but this subject has recently become quite a hot topic on the back of other threads and so I decided to give it an airing on its own.

By the very nature of this forum threads have a life expectancy of a couple of weeks at best, so three months ago is, for better or worse, long since forgotten by most. Not to mention all the new members.

Having said that. Credit where credit is due... :)

As it happens, I've no real personal interest in H producing either and I'm, so far, the only "don't care" I just posed the question because I thought you guys would want to discuss it. :-*

Hi guys,

I think a new thread is a good idea as a thread from even a couple of weeks ago can quickly be forgotten.

If Heritage made one of these I would be all over it like a rash

fbird.jpg

Maybe something might come of us guys discussing this periodically, maybe not, but I personally think the more discussion the better.

The membership is now over 400 and I'm sure a lot of the newer guys, and I include myself in that group, would like a chance to get involved.

We are only a small group and if we could actually persuade a company like Heritage that has so much history and respect to produce a Firebird or V well then that would be incredible.

I would like to see either of those (I must admit, I'd lean towards the "V"). Even more than those, I'd rather see them make an Expl*rer body. (Anyone over at Parsons St. listening? ;D )

"I appreciate your role in starting threads, and you've started several lately from which I've gleaned some useful ideas, but I'm trained as an academic, and we have this "thing" about crediting people for ideas."

I think when it comes to discussion boards, a more appropriate model is cable news: gone today, back tomorrow.  ;D

The original 357 (Firebird) would be great.  I'm not sure how many of those were made, but I've never seen one available.

I've seen a few first hand. In the late 80's a shop on LI,NY, Demarino Guitars, ordered at least two maybe three of which he supplied mini humbuckers from his parts collection to Heritage to install, as he didn't care for the "look" or sound of the full size buckers. I saw one come in with dot inlay like a Firebird lll. Just last spring a used Heritage Firebird was on consignment at a shop on LI. It was white and had mini's. I think most had full size humbuckers.

Southpawguy:

This isn't very efficient, but it's all I could find...

If you go to the Heritage Co. homepage, at  the bottom of the page you can download the 1989 catalog.  There is a picture of the 357 (in blue) in that catalog. 

Southpawguy:

This isn't very efficient, but it's all I could find...

If you go to the Heritage Co. homepage, at  the bottom of the page you can download the 1989 catalog.  There is a picture of the 357 (in blue) in that catalog. 

111518 ....

Thanks, I think i might have that downloaded already.

I hate to point this out--and remember, I'd love to have a 357--but the current Firebird V is a very nice guitar.  I played a new one a while back and it was added to my list of things I'll buy when the right price comes along.

Heresy? Discuss.

I hate to point this out--and remember, I'd love to have a 357--but the current Firebird V is a very nice guitar.  I played a new one a while back and it was added to my list of things I'll buy when the right price comes along.

Heresy? Discuss.

Point taken John, but would G***** revive an old model for a bunch of guitar nuts ?

I'm not sure I get your point.  Gibson spends a lot of time reviving old models for guitar nuts.  Do you mean that they're too big to ever respond to a small bunch of guys like us?  If so, I'd agree and I expect Heritage might be much more receptive.  The 137 is a case in point.

I'm not sure I get your point.  Gibson spends a lot of time reviving old models for guitar nuts.  Do you mean that they're too big to ever respond to a small bunch of guys like us?  If so, I'd agree and I expect Heritage might be much more receptive.  The 137 is a case in point.

I would have thought, from a purely business point of view, Gibson would be in a more financially secure position to experiment with different models.

Heritage, I would guess, would need to be more careful and any new model is a potential risk. Please understand the emphasis is on the use of the word risk here.

I run my own fledgling business and for me, for the moment at least, it pays to stick to what I know will earn me money.

At first this may seem a negative reply but I'm sure we would all prefer Heritage to keep solvent and therefore producing guitars. ???

If a few of us got really serious about this, I'll bet we could get a handful of these guitars made on a special-order basis.  But I'm sure deposits would be required and the guitars would not be cheap.

Well... Every man has his price... (except Thomas More perhaps) :P

I'm from the Miles Davis school of self presentation --it's about the music, not about the showmanship.  (I'm about evoking a cool arrogance --because for years I was scared shitless by stagefright and not letting it show was about the best I could do.) 

As I said about the Firebird ...maybe a custom run, and only after Yoslate gets his Super.   

I've got to give 111... a public thanks for thinking about me, thinking about my Super, which I do...too often!!  But the HOC, you guys, and the myriad posts and opinions, give and take, and the immense amount of information, and support for each other have made the ongoing wait (eleven months yesterday) infinitely more bearable!!!  Thanks all!!! 

And 111..., I could have written what you did above; I relate completely!  I've been playing and performing off and on for a long time, and it's only in the last five years or so I put that stage fright thing completely behind me, having realized it's all about the music, serving the tune!  Jeeze, what a relief!          8)     

Archived