Heritage Owners Club

Hello to everyone-Which Heritage to get, if you could only get one?

JWALKER

sounds like you will have a beautiful guitar. If I can make one suggestion, perhaps nickel would be better than chrome for your hardware as it will stand the test of time much better and ages beautifully. All the classic vintage guitars had nickel hardware. In my experience chrome does not stand up very well and tends to pit and rust easier. However, this is just a suggestion, as it has been said here, you can't make a wrong choice with a Heritage.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JWalker,

If you're a pro or semi pro player,then it has to be the 535.I use my 335 (same ) for pop,rock,jazz,even country gigs.A more versatile guitar you won't find anywhere.The 575 is a great jazz guitar.If you're playing at volume,then feedback is a consideration.I also have an L5 which I loaned to Joe Pass for a gig (see my blog ).I was having trouble with feedback,as I was using this guitar for pop & jazz.I asked Dan Armstrong ( father of Kent ) if there was anything I could do.He suggested filling it with screwed up newspaper through the 'F' holes.I went out & bought a 335 ! ( I still have the L5,paperless,of course )

post-1702-1280316789_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,Just put in my 3 penneth.Scroll down.I agree about nickel .Much better than chrome,and ,as you know,don't go near gold ! Nice little photo of 2 of your favourites !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1280317142_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,Just put in my 3 penneth.Scroll down.I agree about nickel .Much better than chrome,and ,as you know,don't go near gold ! Nice little photo of 2 of your favourites !

Peter Alton Green

Hi Pete, you are tormenting me with those guitars of yours, I need to come over and play them both, and bring over the new single cut, just a case of getting Helen's car when she isn't using it. Totally agree with you, gold plate is a none starter, hence the nickel on my 555.

Sorry, but I think you have been given some bad info.'

1. The ebony fretboard will lean the 555 to a more edge, cut-through, brighter tone than the rosewood of the 535. Again, it may not be that noticeable at first, but to say out of the 535 & 555 which is warmer, the 535 DEFINITELY would be warmer (and yes I have owned both).

2. The difference in price between the two is quite significant in my opinion. The 535 lists for $2,970 and the 555 lists for $3,750 (these are the current list prices, not street prices). I just am trying to give you the facts since you said money was a concern.

FINALLY, I was looking for the same look and tone as you. SO I custom ordered a 555 with the 555 inlays, but the rosewood fretboard & mahogany neck of the 535 for the warmer tone.

Here is a picture of my Custom 555.

Just trying to give you the facts as they are.

Good luck,

John

John..!! I have just noticed you do not have P90's on your 555!!!

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

I've always been taken with the fancy stuff they turn out of Parsons Street. I can honestly say that this guitar sounds and plays better (to me) that any Heritage I've had the good fortune to play. Back to basics. Shut off the eyes and listen to the ears and fingers.

4764451847_a0821ba6ac_b.jpg

Not that I've played many Heritage guitars, but, . . . would have to agree with your comments. The H 137 w/Jason Lollars through a great amp can pull off anything.

+1 for the 535. Easily the most versatile guitar in the Heritage stable. There are perhaps better jazz options and better rock, but nothing covers the terrain like a 535. Unless it's a 555 as Gitfiddler suggests. Welcome and GOOD LUCK!

I agree a 535 is the way to go.

Quick update. I have the 555 ordered. I went with translucent black as I thought this would look really good with the nickel hardware. Thanks to everyone about changing to nickel, I had not even considered that. If anyone is interested and in the deep South, I know of a local dealer with a used 535 in red that is in almost perfect condition, and this baby can be had a great price. I have played it, if you call what I do playing, and it sounds like a dream. I compared it closely to an Ibanez Artcore Custom AF-125 and to a Gibson ES-137, and the 535 was clearly the superior instrument of either of the former guitars. The only drawback, unless your very knowledgeable, is that the dealer does not have any information about the 535 as to vintage or specifications. Again, I will post pictures of the 555 when I get her.

Guest mgoetting

This is a trick question. If I could only afford one, I would get an American Eagle or an advance copy of the 2099 Centurian, sell it, and buy a few less pricey Heritages.

If I could only have one guitar, I need to know if I can also have an amp. That would make a big difference. If yes, the guitar would be a semi-hollow, 1.5 - 2.5 inches deep (shallow hollow, semi-hollow, or semi-solid). I haven't tried the Lollars on that platform (tomorrow I will), so I'm not sure what the final answer would be- 530, 525, 555, Prospect, Millie. Probably a 555.

On the other hand, no amp- a flat top with a florentine cut. In think there were maybe a few 445s out there like that.

This is a trick question. If I could only afford one, I would get an American Eagle or an advance copy of the 2099 Centurian, sell it, and buy a few less pricey Heritages.

You might as well just buy more less expensive Heritage guitars in the first place!

If I could only have one guitar, I need to know if I can also have an amp. That would make a big difference. If yes, the guitar would be a semi-hollow, 1.5 - 2.5 inches deep (shallow hollow, semi-hollow, or semi-solid). I haven't tried the Lollars on that platform (tomorrow I will), so I'm not sure what the final answer would be- 530, 525, 555, Prospect, Millie. Probably a 555.

On the other hand, no amp- a flat top with a florentine cut. In think there were maybe a few 445s out there like that.

Ha... the classic... a Genie gives you one wish, so what do you wish for?

More wishes , of course.

Archived