Heritage Owners Club

Hello to everyone-Which Heritage to get, if you could only get one?

JWALKER

Hello to everyone on the site, and I am very lucky to having found this site. I am going to get my first Heritage guitar, having first played on a 535 and then doing some research- I am completely sold on a Heritage guitar.

I will probably be getting it from Wolfe's Guitars or either a somewhat local store about fifty miles away from me. I have had some decent guitars in the past, like a made in Japan BC Rich electric and a Alvarez Yari acoustic, both long gone. After getting back into playing with my son, although we are both still learning to play I might add, I got a Fender MIM Strat and a Telecaster. However, I really love Jazz, and many of my Jazz guitar heroes like Joe Pass, Grant Green, and Kenny Burrell all play on arch tops. However, having just shelled out for the Telecaster not to long ago, I can probably only get one guitar for quite some time. My wife may even kill me, when I get the Heritage, but sometimes you just have to through caution to the wind.

So, which one to get? I really loved the 535, and I was lead to believe that the 555 is basically just a more custom version of the 535, with no significant differences sound wise. I think that a 535 would be much a more versatile guitar than an arch top, meaning that it can handle Jazz and most other forms of music, as opposed to an arch tops more limited range. This is not to denigrate an arch top, but only saying that if you can get just one, then which one covers more ground.

So, if faced with being able to keep only one guitar in your stable, which one would you get? And lastly, If the recommendation is for the 535, then should I get any upgrades, such as Pups, etc... Thank you to any and all who can give me a recommendation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome, jwalker! i'm a heritage newb, too, but, owning a H530, i am biased in favor of same.

however, i want, and someday will have, a 535.

enjoy the quest!

eljayski

Hello JWalker and Welcome to the HOC. Hopefully you will enjoy this crazy, fanatical bunch as much as I do.

To your post, it sounds as if you've already got your attention focused on an H535, and for all of the right reasons. It is one of the most versatile instruments out there. The good news is that there are many of them that come up for sale, both new and used.

If only one Heritage, it would have to be a 535. If money was no object, it would probably be a blinged out H555 (like the one I just finished paying for!) :rolleyes:

Hello JWalker and Welcome to the HOC. Hopefully you will enjoy this crazy, fanatical bunch as much as I do.

To your post, it sounds as if you've already got your attention focused on an H535, and for all of the right reasons. It is one of the most versatile instruments out there. The good news is that there are many of them that come up for sale, both new and used.

If only one Heritage, it would have to be a 535. If money was no object, it would probably be a blinged out H555 (like the one I just finished paying for!) :rolleyes:

+1 for the 535. Easily the most versatile guitar in the Heritage stable. There are perhaps better jazz options and better rock, but nothing covers the terrain like a 535. Unless it's a 555 as Gitfiddler suggests. Welcome and GOOD LUCK!

Hi JWalker,

Welcome to HOC - a great bunch of guys here. I'm a newbie as well.

I'm glad you asked that question, because I've a similar question. I'm now the proud owner of the H 150 - but that's for my Led Zep sounds, etc.

I would agree that the 535 covers all kinds of ground. But may I add that on You Tube, last weekend, I saw the video of the Heritage Millenium, which had the added feature of, I believe, D-VIP - toggle switches that coil tap. The body is small in width, and too my ears, sounds very, very good. Here's a link,

(you'll have to copy that link into your browser; or just search Heritage Millennium DC, HRW pickups, Blackstar Amp ). This is one I'm seriously considering for the future.

Hi JWalker,

I'm glad you asked that question, because I've a similar question. I'm now the proud owner of the H 150 - but that's for my Led Zep sounds, etc.

I would agree that the 535 covers all kinds of ground. But may I add that on You Tube, last weekend, I saw the video of the Heritage Millenium, which had the added feature of, I believe, D-VIP - toggle switches that coil tap. The body is small in width, and too my ears, sounds very, very good. Here's a link,

(you'll have to copy that link into your browser; or just search Heritage Millennium DC, HRW pickups, Blackstar Amp ). This is one I'm seriously considering for the future.

Let us know what you get. I asked the local dealer rep, and she was saying that Millennium DC and the Prospect were both small LP size like you mentioned, and therefore, they would not get the same Jazz tones. I had seen them on the H site, and like you, I was intrigued with them, too.

Hey JWALKER!

Welcome to The House of GAS. haha.

The 535 is one helluva versatile guitar. Bank on it. So is the 575.... and the 150, 137 and so on.

I don't mean to make your search any more difficult. My point is that you can get about any Heritage and pull about any style off. If the 535 appeals to you, then I say go for it!

I would definitely recommend the Seth Lover pickups if you have the option to get it. That is what I have in my 575 and it is just amazing. I am still in my honeymoon period with that guitar so... take what I say here with a grain of salt. My H140 is the bees knees too.

Let us know what you get. I asked the local dealer rep, and she was saying that Millennium DC and the Prospect were both small LP size like you mentioned, and therefore, they would not get the same Jazz tones. I had seen them on the H site, and like you, I was intrigued with them, too.

Tell that to

I really loved the 535, and I was lead to believe that the 555 is basically just a more custom version of the 535, with no significant differences sound wise.
In my opinion, I disagree here. There is quite a tone difference. Now, it won't be as different as a 150 and an Eagle, mind you. But since the neck material (not an insignificant amount of wood) is different and the fretboard material is different, then there will definitely be a difference. With the quality of the woods being the same, the 555 will have a more brighter or higher toned sound than a 535 with a mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard.

But yes, it is blinged out. :D

Welcome to the HOC......if it is only one then I would agree with most that the 535 is the way to go....it was my first Heritage by the way.....but I can only help think of that potato chip commercial....."betcha can't eat just one".... :D ...and we will need pictures which ever model you get!!!

Basically your asking the old "deserted on an island" question. And as many have already replied (and I agree) if you could only have one I'd go with the 535, with a pair of matched SD 59's. No other explanations needed!

Guest mgoetting
There is only one correct answer:

Q: Which Heritage to get, if you could only get one?

A: The next one.

Seriously. /thread

How many Heritages does a person need?

Just the next one.

Tell that to

Wow, I have several Jazz CD's with Wolfgang Muthspiel, now I am really at a loss. What a beautiful tone, and If I could play like that, wow. What guitar is he playing?

J,

With a Telecaster and a Strat you might like a humbucker 535 and if you are looking to go custom...Choose your pickups. Seths are great but not potted and 59's and Tom Shorts are a few other popular choices around here. Choose a color by looking through the gallerys (like you did not look) scratch guard color and shape (Johnny Smith) neck carve, inlays (up charge) blocks, traps, or standard dots, nut width and material. You might like the MOP "the Heritage" over the transfer and a bound headstock and/ or f holes will dress it up to half a 555.

Take your time to decide, it's all good.

Wow, I have several Jazz CD's with Wolfgang Muthspiel, now I am really at a loss. What a beautiful tone, and If I could play like that, wow. What guitar is he playing?

Millie Eagle,

The little L5.

JWalker,

This is really an easy answer to your question.... and really one that Larry Carlton answered in 1969.

I have four 150s, a 525, a 575, and two 535.

A 535 can rock (ala CREAM), can do blues (ala BB KING), country, and obviously Jazz (ala LARRY the man Carlton).

If you can only get one Heritage, go with a 535 and make sure to get the Seth Lover pickups.

See Easy!!! LOL

And welcome to the club!

The important factor in this whole dilemma, is that you can only buy one guitar. If that's truly the case, then do yourself a big favor . . . buy the H535. If you buy anything else, you're going to eventually buy the 535 anyway .. . probably sooner than later. Then, you wife is gonna give you a butt whoopin'. But, you will buy the 535 . . . . in addition to any other guitar you buy. But, then again, now that I think about it, getting a good ol' fashion butt whoopin from your wife might just be worth the sacrifice if it'll get you the second Heritage.

Hi JWalker,

I couldn't agree more with the opinions given by koula901. The H155, Millenium Std. Ultra, or Millenium DC with HRWs would be (and one of them was) my choice. It's not only comfortable to play, but extremely versatile -producing some of the smoothest, creamiest tones on one end, and get down dirty rock vibes at the other with some really good foot stompin country & bluegrass twang in the middle.

The youtube clip above demonstrates this well.

I couldn't agree more with the opinions given by koula901. The H155, Millenium Std. Ultra, or Millenium DC with HRWs would be (and one of them was) my choice. It's not only comfortable to play, but extremely versatile -producing some of the smoothest, creamiest tones on one end, and get down dirty rock vibes at the other with some really good foot stompin country & bluegrass twang in the middle.

The youtube clip above demonstrates this well.

"the Heritage Millenium, which had the added feature of, I believe, D-VIP - toggle switches that coil tap. The body is small in width, and too my ears, sounds very, very good"

This guitar does sound great, as I am thinking now that all H guitars do, and I am wondering what the Millennium DC with HRWs and DiVIP would cost out the door price wise? I am somewhat of a short and squatty kind of a fellow, and a smaller guitar appeals to me for these physical reasons. However, I do not want to get away from that Jazz tone I am looking for either. It will probably come down to, as for many, which guitar I can get the best deal on, as I am thinking now, that I have heard you guys, that I will have to have at least two, or three , or four H's, you get the picture. Now , if just had a great hiding place from my wife.

After everyone's much appreciated input, I am leaning towards a 555 with either Seth Lover. 59's or Tom Short's. I would love to hear what was the best price for a new 555 so equipped that anyone has gotten or been quoted. Also, is the VIP feature worth it? I could also add the feature afterwards, but It would cost more. Can anyone give me a quick overview of the Pups listed above? I have not written off the 535, but for a little more , the 555 just seems so, well you get it. Nor have I discounted the the Millennium DC with HRWs and DiVIP. Decisions. decisions, decisions.

After everyone's much appreciated input, I am leaning towards a 555 with either Seth Lover. 59's or Tom Short's. I would love to hear what was the best price for a new 555 so equipped that anyone has gotten or been quoted. Also, is the VIP feature worth it? I could also add the feature afterwards, but It would cost more. Can anyone give me a quick overview of the Pups listed above? I have not written off the 535, but for a little more , the 555 just seems so, well you get it. Nor have I discounted the the Millennium DC with HRWs and DiVIP. Decisions. decisions, decisions.

Call Wolfe Guitars. At very least, they are extremely helpful and their prices aren't bad at all.

The Seths are very, very nice sounding. I don't think you will be bummed by any of these pickups at all.

Archived