Heritage Owners Club

Hello to everyone-Which Heritage to get, if you could only get one?

JWALKER

Let us know what you get. I asked the local dealer rep, and she was saying that Millennium DC and the Prospect were both small LP size like you mentioned, and therefore, they would not get the same Jazz tones. I had seen them on the H site, and like you, I was intrigued with them, too.

The Millie's are closer to 150 (uh, LP) size. A bit rounder, perhaps. The Prospect is more like a smaller version of the 535/555. I don't play Jazz, so I couldn't tell you if it would work or not. I do use my Prospect in my country band. To me it's the perfect size guitar.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After everyone's much appreciated input, I am leaning towards a 555 with either Seth Lover. 59's or Tom Short's. I would love to hear what was the best price for a new 555 so equipped that anyone has gotten or been quoted. Also, is the VIP feature worth it? I could also add the feature afterwards, but It would cost more. Can anyone give me a quick overview of the Pups listed above? I have not written off the 535, but for a little more , the 555 just seems so, well you get it. Nor have I discounted the the Millennium DC with HRWs and DiVIP. Decisions. decisions, decisions.

If there's a retailer in your area, go play as many as possible. I'm a 535 fan, but its not for everyone's taste. They're beautiful guitars and the right one will make you go places in your mind. Good luck!

Let us know what you get. I asked the local dealer rep, and she was saying that Millennium DC and the Prospect were both small LP size like you mentioned, and therefore, they would not get the same Jazz tones. I had seen them on the H site, and like you, I was intrigued with them, too.

Sure, J, I'll let you know. My guess is that you could probably coax some jazz tones out of it by leaving the switches in humbucker mode, selecting the neck pup, playing with fingers, and if that's not enough, rolling off the highs to your liking. I suppose if I were a jazz artist, I would go for one of the bigger boxes, and probably completely hollow at that, but Larry Carlton does just fine w/his 335. Since I'm not into playing jazz guitar, for now, a Millie would be fine for me. I'm just curious, it appears you're leaning more towards the 555, than a 535. What is it about the 555 that grabs you?

What guitar to go for obviously depends on what I want the instrument for. Do I want a guitar for its looks, value, collectability and resale value or do I want it to create beautiful music? Heritage makes exceptional guitars that sound marvelous and I have come to the conclusion that one can create ‘beautiful’ music with any of the guitars that Heritage makes. I therefore suggest that you purchase a guitar that you are comfortable with and feel right in your hands - you may not be happy with anything else. You can then focus on getting to know how to use the guitar of your choice to create the sound you like or better still, to create your own unique sound.

Another vote for a 535 w/seth lovers. The 555 is a fine choice as well, with pretty much only the aesthics different (ebony board, inlays...). I kind of prefer the silver hardware over gold due to wear factor, but again that's mostly aesthics. Find a finish/look that does it for you and go for that one. There is weight variation in semis (I suspect due to the mass of the center block) so if looking for a particualr comfort range, might ask about that.

PUs - seth lovers are a great pu for blues/jazz/rock in a semi. 59s are okay, a bit more focused sounding and if doing hi-gain then they may help the squeal factor some... I kinda prefer the seth's over the 59s. Tom Shorts get great reviews here and elsewhere and likely would not dissapoint, either.

In the end - if just one Heritage (or the first one), I'd go with a 535 with seths in it. btw - I took my own advice with that very guitar, from Wolfe's, in '02, the first of now 4 Heritages. Still one of my favs. Compliment a tele VERY well.

If your a jazzer...and looking for "one Heritage" to rule them all??

H530 buddy...I play 100% jazz with mine and has the warm jazztones in spades, also really comfortable to play.

I was wondering if a 525 could cop that woody, round tone of the "cool jazz"/bebop era(s).

Hi J and welcome to the cult, when you do buy remember that it is obligatory to post your pictures, it's a right of passage here!

Well, as my forum name will tell, I play a 555 with seymour 59's in it. I actually wanted a 535, but over here in England Heritage guitars are thin on the ground and the 555 came up at an extremely good price and the deal was done.

I would say to you, considering that you already have a strat and a tele to go for the 535. These guitars are extremely comfortable to hold or hang from a strap, they give wonderful tone. I can use the 555 for any genre of music I want and I do not believe there is much difference between the 535 and the 555, it always boils down to how well you can play. If you love Jazz, you will not be disapointed with a 535 or 555, you do not need a traditional arch top, there is enough tone in either of these guitars, and I know a tremendous player who can play incredible jazz on a telecaster.

The 535 and 555 both have better access to the higher end of the neck than the 530 and I would have the 555 instead of the 530 because of the solid block of timber running through the guitar body. Some of the guys here are blessed to be able to have many excellent guitars, but like you I had to go for "the one" and as I said, the 555 won the day.

All Heritage guitars are made with love and skill and have that flawed quality if being handmade, if you understand what I am trying to say. But they are fantastic and can not be beaten when it comes down to it.

I chose Seymour 59's because the 555 I bought was used, as at the time they were not being distributed in the UK, and it had schaller pick ups and hardware that were not to my personal taste, I found the schaller pups somewhat brittle. The reason I got the 59's was that they were on ebay cheap in the States and my daughters were able to bring them home for me as they were in America at the time. So it boiled down to what was available within my budget. The end result is a knock out guitar though, here's a picture of it.

In time I would compliment it with a 150 CM.

post-1193-1280251784_thumb.jpg

JWalker,

This is really an easy answer to your question.... and really one that Larry Carlton answered in 1969.

I have four 150s, a 525, a 575, and two 535.

A 535 can rock (ala CREAM), can do blues (ala BB KING), country, and obviously Jazz (ala LARRY the man Carlton).

If you can only get one Heritage, go with a 535 and make sure to get the Seth Lover pickups.

See Easy!!! LOL

And welcome to the club!

+1

I was wondering if a 525 could cop that woody, round tone of the "cool jazz"/bebop era(s).

I'll answer that for you DS, YES, YES, YES!!!!

Maybe I can post some clips in a few days...... or just wait til PSP3.......

Sure, J, I'll let you know. My guess is that you could probably coax some jazz tones out of it by leaving the switches in humbucker mode, selecting the neck pup, playing with fingers, and if that's not enough, rolling off the highs to your liking. I suppose if I were a jazz artist, I would go for one of the bigger boxes, and probably completely hollow at that, but Larry Carlton does just fine w/his 335. Since I'm not into playing jazz guitar, for now, a Millie would be fine for me. I'm just curious, it appears you're leaning more towards the 555, than a 535. What is it about the 555 that grabs you?

I guess it is probably the vanity issue, in that, the 555 is tricked out and from what I hear has a slightly warmer tone. I know, define warm, huh. They are also pretty close in price, so if you are going to plop down for the 535, why not pay the slight upcharge. Also, I have only played on a 535, so if the 555 is even better, then I am set. There is no known music store in my area that I know of, where I can play any other models. However, Heritage is one of the few makers that I would probably buy a guitar from without hearing it first. I think you are right in that on a really good guitar, you could probably get any tone you were looking for, especially if you had the right amp, and so on. If I decide to get another guitar, I think the Milly might be at the top of my list.

I guess it is probably the vanity issue, in that, the 555 is tricked out and from what I hear has a slightly warmer tone. I know, define warm, huh. They are also pretty close in price, so if you are going to plop down for the 535, why not pay the slight upcharge. Also, I have only played on a 535, so if the 555 is even better, then I am set. There is no known music store in my area that I know of, where I can play any other models. However, Heritage is one of the few makers that I would probably buy a guitar from without hearing it first. I think you are right in that on a really good guitar, you could probably get any tone you were looking for, especially if you had the right amp, and so on. If I decide to get another guitar, I think the Milly might be at the top of my list.

Sorry, but I think you have been given some bad info.'

1. The ebony fretboard will lean the 555 to a more edge, cut-through, brighter tone than the rosewood of the 535. Again, it may not be that noticeable at first, but to say out of the 535 & 555 which is warmer, the 535 DEFINITELY would be warmer (and yes I have owned both).

2. The difference in price between the two is quite significant in my opinion. The 535 lists for $2,970 and the 555 lists for $3,750 (these are the current list prices, not street prices). I just am trying to give you the facts since you said money was a concern.

FINALLY, I was looking for the same look and tone as you. SO I custom ordered a 555 with the 555 inlays, but the rosewood fretboard & mahogany neck of the 535 for the warmer tone.

Here is a picture of my Custom 555.

Just trying to give you the facts as they are.

Good luck,

John

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

You could also check this forum for a used H 555 - people sell their Heritages all the time, and some even will offer it here first, before E-Bay. Good luck! : )

I want to thank everyone for their advise. I am in the process of getting a 555 with Seth Lovers in Vintage Sunburst. I did opt for chrome hardware, due to having always heard that the gold hardware will tarnish. I have been dealing with Graham at Wolfe's, and he was a very nice and informative person. However, my local area dealer has given me a really great deal, that I do not think I can pass up on. It may take several weeks for it to get to me, but I will post some pictures once received. Thanks to everyone concerned once again.

I want to thank everyone for their advise. I am in the process of getting a 555 with Seth Lovers in Vintage Sunburst. I did opt for chrome hardware, due to having always heard that the gold hardware will tarnish. I have been dealing with Graham at Wolfe's, and he was a very nice and informative person. However, my local area dealer has given me a really great deal, that I do not think I can pass up on. It may take several weeks for it to get to me, but I will post some pictures once received. Thanks to everyone concerned once again.

Great,now that that's settled.....

What next? 575 for Joe Pass - 525 - 530 for Grant Green - Golden Eagle?

But wait...you said 'versatile' right?

I think my vote is clear. ;)

now that's variety!!!....thanks for the great clips Jazzpunk...I enjoyed that....and I agree :D

I've always been taken with the fancy stuff they turn out of Parsons Street. I can honestly say that this guitar sounds and plays better (to me) that any Heritage I've had the good fortune to play. Back to basics. Shut off the eyes and listen to the ears and fingers.

4764451847_a0821ba6ac_b.jpg

Archived