Heritage Owners Club

Mating Amp with an H 150, Seth Lovers

Hi Guys,

Finally got the H 150, my first humbucking guitar. Played it through my 5 watt Epiphone Jr half stack, which has EL 84 and a 12ax7 tubes, and the amp didn't do it justice - sounded too dark. After, plugged it into my Fender Champ 600 which has 6v6 and 12ax7 tubes, and it sounded much better. I'm thinking this guitar is probably best mated with a marshall/crate/maybe a Budda amp - I'm after the high gain/crunchy classic rock/blues tones, a la ZZ Top, Led Zep, etc. When I first tried out the

H 150 in a store, it was hooked up to some nice boutique amp, and really sounded good. And since the amp is as, or almost a more important part of the equation for great tone, my next quest is finding a great amp. I don't need anything more than 30 watts - ideal would be 25-30 watts at most. Must be able to take pedals well. ALso, in your experience, do you notice that pedals that might have done well w/strat/tele, don't necessarily do well w/your humbucking guitar?

k901,

I have a 150 with Seths also and more than a few amps with 6v6, El34, Ef86- El84, 7591s and there in NOTHING the 150 does not sound great with. P90's are another story.

I know that does not help but I suggest "investing" in a used modeling amp, cube, vox valvetronic, Pod for around $100 and spend a number of hours, weeks or months on the different amps types,(user sites will explain what the original amp was based on) like 60-70-80 Marshall, Dumble, Tweeds, Blackface, AC30's etc before you decide on what flavor or flavors float your 150 boat. For ZZ you can get there with a pushed tweed or Marshalls but there are so many amp builders and options and directions that will drive you nuts. What you should avoid is paying $1000 -$2000 for something you are not completely in lust with and take a loss should you sell it for the next best thing.

k901,

I have a 150 with Seths also and more than a few amps with 6v6, El34, Ef86- El84, 7591s and there in NOTHING the 150 does not sound great with. P90's are another story.

I know that does not help but I suggest "investing" in a used modeling amp, cube, vox valvetronic, Pod for around $100 and spend a number of hours, weeks or months on the different amps types,(user sites will explain what the original amp was based on) like 60-70-80 Marshall, Dumble, Tweeds, Blackface, AC30's etc before you decide on what flavor or flavors float your 150 boat. For ZZ you can get there with a pushed tweed or Marshalls but there are so many amp builders and options and directions that will drive you nuts. What you should avoid is paying $1000 -$2000 for something you are not completely in lust with and take a loss should you sell it for the next best thing.

Now, that's a great suggestion, and yes, I agree that the P90s are another story, for, I temporarily had tried out the H 137, which also didn't sound well w/EL 84, but wonderful in the amp with 6v6. I'll have to plug my 150 back into the el84 amp, but mess around with the equalizer and see what kind of tones I get. Thanks. : )

If you are really interested in the ideal amp for your 150, at 30 watts, takes pedals GREAT, and at an INCREDIBLE price..... check out this thread of an amp I have for sale and PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

John

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...?showtopic=8987

Kuz,

I remember reading that thread. Thanks for the suggestion, I think right now I'm still in the exploratory stage.

Kuz,

I remember reading that thread. Thanks for the suggestion, I think right now I'm still in the exploratory stage.

No problem. I may bring it to PSP3 just to show people how great an amp it is.

Let me know if you are interested down the road.

I would get a little 10-20w tube amp you can crank up: look for an old gibson GA8 1x12 combo, I have one & it nails old ZZ Top etc when you turn it up

you can find them for around $400 or so I'd guess...I bought mine for $200 at a store but I think that is rare

2xEL84 power section, plus a couple weird preamp tubes and a 12ax7 I think..the stock speaker wasn't very good: put a celestion in there & BLAMMO

if you can't get away with much volume you'll need something with a master volume or use a pedal of some sort..those little VOX practice amps are great

I have a 150, and it had seth lovers in it.

& I agree with Spectrum13, it sounds good through any amp.

I also have a Valve Jr. Try a JJ EL84 in place of the Sovtek. JJs are brighter from my experience.

Rude Dog and Bolero,

Thanks - great suggestions.

when I'm ready for new tube, I'll consider the JJ, and the Vox practice amp sounds intriguing.

Archived