Heritage Owners Club

NGW

Patrick

Well . . . If you more senior members (in tenure, not age) will allow me, I'd like to create a new acronym . . . NGW . . . New Guitar Wait. I spoke with Katie today and she tole me that the final fine sanding she completed went well. She said that the guitar looks fantastic in its final stage proir to going up stairs to the finish room . . . where it is going today. I have to say . . . I am VERY apprehensive about my choice of a sunset sunburst on this special size and special build Golden Eagle. To say my heart is in my mouth is a gross understatement. Jim Duerloo and I looked long and hard for a very special wood package for the spruce and the maple. Now I'm going to cover much of it up with a sunburst finish. Normaly, I'm not one who second guesses my decisions. Not so in this case. But, when Katie told me it was going upstairs, I still had time to rethink and go with an antique natural, an OSB . . . . anything else I want to. I stuck with the sunset sunburst.

While I'm sure it will be absolutely beautiful . . . . that's no guarantee that I will absolutely love it. I know I loved the look of the lefty sunset sunburst Golden Eagle I saw during the PSPIII tour. But, it had just a touch more red than I'm comfortable with. The last thing I want in a Golden Eagle is a finish that looks like a 3 color 1960s Fender Strat. I'll just have to leave it in the hands of the masters . . . . Floyd, Patrick and Marv . . . . and see what comes. I guess that's part of the allure.

New Guitar Wait - thats pretty good. My opinion, yeah, we can use that!! ;) And there are more than a few us on here that have gone thru the same panic/experience you're going thru. On both my Millie NFH and Prospect Custom I was adamant about No Red! Well, the first pics from Ren on the Millie showed tons o'red. And the pics of the Prospect from the dealer showed ... yep, tons o'red. But, neither were red when I got them. It was the cameras. And both are spectacular pieces. I have no doubt that the boys will make sure your guitar that you've so painfully spec'd and researched and picked woods for comes out the best it can. Figure ... 2-3 more weeks?

For what it's worth, when I went up to the finish room, Patrick (who works there, not you!) said that, until they put the nitro coat on, they can "wash" the paint job off of a the guitars; I don't know if that means ALL the way back to natural, but it might be possible to have some pics taken of the finish BEFORE they put on the nitro, and, if you aren't satisfied, reverse the decision on color. It might be worth asking.

Photos are a bad way to judge color. No camera, lens or film is perfect. Add the blend of natural and flash lighting and it is just impossible to tell. They always seem to look better when they are in hand.

I have had the same conversation with my self over the 357 they are building me. Today it was determined to make it a dark almond burst. I am sticking with it. Come hell or high water.

Relax, sit back, and fire up one of those Oliva V series you were smoking this weekend and things should turn out fine.

For what it's worth, when I went up to the finish room, Patrick (who works there, not you!) said that, until they put the nitro coat on, they can "wash" the paint job off of a the guitars; I don't know if that means ALL the way back to natural, but it might be possible to have some pics taken of the finish BEFORE they put on the nitro, and, if you aren't satisfied, reverse the decision on color. It might be worth asking.

Thanks for that schundog. I am aware of that process and option. However, I know myself too well to start down that path. If I were to do something like that, I would probably have them stripping or washing the finish repeatedly. They're gonna do what they do . . . . and I'm gonna accept it. As I said, even if it is something shore of what I hope it to be, I'm sure it's still going to be beautiful.

New Guitar Wait - thats pretty good. My opinion, yeah, we can use that!! ;) And there are more than a few us on here that have gone thru the same panic/experience you're going thru. On both my Millie NFH and Prospect Custom I was adamant about No Red! Well, the first pics from Ren on the Millie showed tons o'red. And the pics of the Prospect from the dealer showed ... yep, tons o'red. But, neither were red when I got them. It was the cameras. And both are spectacular pieces. I have no doubt that the boys will make sure your guitar that you've so painfully spec'd and researched and picked woods for comes out the best it can. Figure ... 2-3 more weeks?

Probably more like 4 to 5 weeks . . . . but who's counting. I was fortunate enough to see the lefty Golden Eagle that was finished in a sunset sunburst in person at PSPIII and not through photos. I was tempted to ask them to mix just a tad of brown in the red stain. But, how does one tell a Van Gogh what colors to use?? I decided to but out . . . . Pick a finish and live with it.

Oh yeah .. you will end up loving the Sunset Burst.

When you first take this custom Hertage home.... you will be amazed at this new wonder.

And then it will even grow on you even more..

Heritage is making some really sweet instruments right now. A trip to the finishing room tells you that.

Let them work their magic ... I think that the sunset burst has a great vintage look..!!!!!!! ;)

It is amazing how sweet the brand new Heritage guitars are... we are in a golden age of Kalamazoo guitars right now.

I'm sure that this one will thrill with appearance, playability , and sound.

Probably more like 4 to 5 weeks . . . . but who's counting. I was fortunate enough to see the lefty Golden Eagle that was finished in a sunset sunburst in person at PSPIII and not through photos. I was tempted to ask them to mix just a tad of brown in the red stain. But, how does one tell a Van Gogh what colors to use?? I decided to but out . . . . Pick a finish and live with it.

That is actually a very good attitude. I had a guitar built by a guy up in New Hampshire. I basically told the builder everything for the build. And he built it. Not a spectacular guitar. I then had another one built that I had input only on certain aesthetics (inlays, fingerboard) and let the man build the guitar. It's a stunning piece of magic. So yeah, agreed ... let them do their stuff.

It is amazing how sweet the brand new Heritage guitars are... we are in a golden age of Kalamazoo guitars right now.

I couldnt agree more with this statement. My 530 they just built me is MILES ahead of the 1994 H-535 I had...I loved that guitar but they have really hit their stride in the last 5 or so years.

Archived