Heritage Owners Club

Sometimes the right guitar is just all you need...

barrymclark

I would like to say that my will alone is what is pushing me to learn jazz but it occurred to me last night, you just can't underestimate the value of the right guitar for what you are doing. Now, of course, the right guitar will differ from person to person, but, again it can't be underestimated.

I have played jazz on the acoustic and the H140 and it was fine. It even sounded good. But, once I lost focus of the lesson, I would soon then put the guitar down and on to something else.

Since I got the H575, I play until my eyes burn from being weary. The sound of that guitar with those jazzy chords and jazzy lines almost makes you play more.

I have said before you can play jazz on any guitar. I stand by that BUT I really think only some guitars will give all that jazz back.

Having played on hollowbodies made by Ibanez, Epiphone, Gibby, Washburn and Gretsch among others, I gotta say NONE of them touch the sound of the 575 in my ears. They all sounded nice but I am not so sure the sound alone would call me to play until I just can't physically play anymore.

Great Barry, now I have to add the H575 to my list. So. let's see, I need a H575, a H150 or H157, a Milly, and maybe a H525. Seriously though, from what little I know, having played several of the Ibanez Artcore archtops and semi's, these types of guitars do seem to have that perfect tone for Jazz. I liked the Artcore series, and I really like the Artcore Custom series. I have tried the AF-125 several times, and I have really liked it. However, I discovered Heritage in the search for a good archtop, so, I guess I am hooked now. It seems so indescribable that when you get that great guitar that almost seems to play itself, it just makes you want to play and play.

One of my jazz idols, Ed Bickert, seems to get passable jazz tone out of an old Telecaster. Any guitar can be "the right guitar." I think it depends more on the player than the instrument, not that the instrument doesn't play a part. Glad you found "The One" for you!

One of my jazz idols, Ed Bickert, seems to get passable jazz tone out of an old Telecaster. Any guitar can be "the right guitar." I think it depends more on the player than the instrument, not that the instrument doesn't play a part. Glad you found "The One" for you!

Yep. That is what I was getting at. ;)

Finding the right guitar for you is very important. It is basically like learnig to speak with your voice or someone else's. Funny enough, I really dig some of the solid body guitar tones that I have heard some folks getting. When I played with that tone, though, it just didn't work for me until I got that really old thump. Again, not a knock AT ALL to any other guitar used for jazz. Use a Jackson Kelly if it sounds right to you. ;)

Dick S, Funny you should mention Ed Bickert. As the fact that he was playing a Tele I think right up to time he quit playing in public, Makes me really want to get a Tele. Especially with some of my other heroes like, John Abercrombie and Bill Frisell, among others, playing the Tele, in my mind, I am thinking, get a Tele, sound like John Abercrombie and Ed Bickert. I know, in my dreams, right. So, I bet it really is like Barry and you guys are saying, it is more in finding that certain guitar that speaks to you, than perhaps the guitar itself. Not that a great guitar won't help this process. Still, somewhere inside my head, there is still something that is saying I want that really great Tele. Back to Ed Bickert, Third Floor Richard is one great guitar album.

I have said before you can play jazz on any guitar. I stand by that BUT I really think only some guitars will give all that jazz back.

People always argue that jazz can be played on any guitar...until they get a nice archtop that is! :huh:

Of course you can play jazz on any guitar but archtops simply sound and feel different. No arguing that!

Now whether that is what one is looking for or not is completely subjective.

People always argue that jazz can be played on any guitar...until they get a nice archtop that is! :D

Of course you can play jazz on any guitar but archtops simply sound and feel different. No arguing that!

I used to think my strat was fine for jazz. Years worth of lessons kind of fine. I didn't play jazz out much at all, so it didn't make sense in my mind to spend the money on a fine hollow body jazz guitar. But, now that I have one, I am kicking the crap out of myself for not doing whatever the hell it took to get the money together to buy it sooner! THE guitar really changes the way you approach making music. My 575 has been nothing short of revolutionary for me. I have played more in the last 3 months since I bought that guitar than I have in the previous 3 years. AND it has brought things out of my hands that have never been there before. I play faster and better on this guitar than any other I've ever played. Yeah, you can play jazz on anything . . . but NOTHING feels like a fine archtop . . . nothing feels like my 575.

I used to think my strat was fine for jazz. Years worth of lessons kind of fine. I didn't play jazz out much at all, so it didn't make sense in my mind to spend the money on a fine hollow body jazz guitar. But, now that I have one, I am kicking the crap out of myself for not doing whatever the hell it took to get the money together to buy it sooner! THE guitar really changes the way you approach making music. My 575 has been nothing short of revolutionary for me. I have played more in the last 3 months since I bought that guitar than I have in the previous 3 years. AND it has brought things out of my hands that have never been there before. I play faster and better on this guitar than any other I've ever played. Yeah, you can play jazz on anything . . . but NOTHING feels like a fine archtop . . . nothing feels like my 575.

Interesting point here...the guitar changed the way you approach the music. That's a cool concept, and will 100% agree that when the guitar "just fits" your eyes and hands you can make huge leaps forward.

But lemme scramble the eggs a bit. Do you sound similar with whatever guitar you pick up now that you've made the jump?

I have the luxury of having a few guitars and I find that if I pick up the Eastman...then the Heritage...then the Strat...I get similar tones out of all of them. Not exact (of course), but it sounds like me everytime. Please let me elaborate before someone thinks I'm saying the instrument has nothing to do with your sound. And keep in mind this is just my 0.02 so dont flame me for throwing pennies :D

I approach each guitar differently (consciously or subconsciously) and will tweak the controls until it sounds "right" to me. I back off my picking style when playing lighter strings, I play more on the B and G strings when soloing on a guitar with single coils because they sound a bit thin. If I'm playing a solid-state amp I tweak ontil the sound fits. I guess all I'm saying is that the mojo lies more in your fingers than in the gear. If Howard Alden came to my house for coffee and a quick jam session I KNOW I could hand him a tele and a Marshall amp and he's going to tweak it to sound like Howard Alden...even without his benedetto.

Gear helps; but not as much as lessons. HAHAHA!

Now...back to drooling over an Eagle

Barry, it looks like that guitar you have bought yourself truly is that "special once in a life time guitar" after all, I am so pleased you got it and that you are enjoying it so much, some things just rise above the financial costs, your 575 seems to prove that point. My pal peteraltongreen has a 575 and when I visit him it usually comes out for me to spend a few moments on. I am not a jazz player, although a great fan of the likes of Kenny Burrell, and getting a flavour of the music is just enjoyable to me.

I have to agree with jrfreed that much of what we do sounds like each individual regardless of what you are playing, everything he said made sense in that we adjust the amps and guitar knobs until we get the sound to as close as we can get to what we usually play every time.

Barry, I hope you enjoy your new guitar for many years to come, when you have a guitar you love so much you don't need many more..... although having many more would be great!

Barry, you nailed it! I feel the same way about my 575, and feel incredibly lucky and privileged to have had the chance to get such a guitar. But I still like my Ibanez AS80, that's the guitar that goes in the trunk of the car when it is parked outside work - the Heritage on the other hand is either safely at home, or within sight at all times.

Your intensive journey into jazz is fascinating and inspiring! More power to you.

Barry, you nailed it! I feel the same way about my 575, and feel incredibly lucky and privileged to have had the chance to get such a guitar. But I still like my Ibanez AS80, that's the guitar that goes in the trunk of the car when it is parked outside work - the Heritage on the other hand is either safely at home, or within sight at all times.

Your intensive journey into jazz is fascinating and inspiring! More power to you.

Zydecosoultrain~ You keep a semi-hollow AS80 in your TRUNK?! :thumbsup:

Hi Gitfiddler,

Well, the AS80 goes in the boot (trunk?) of the car only on the days that I have my lunch time jazz lesson.

Anyway, I have a new arrangement where I am going to drive to my teacher's studio on Saturdays so I'll be able to take my 575. I'm hoping Phil will keep his long time promise of teaching me how to do a good setup. :thumbsup:

I agree, we all have a sound in our head that we spend lots of money trying to find. When we believe that we have found the sound in our head, we are happy. Some people try different pickups, amps, effects and so on. I like to start with a love affair between man and guitar. Les Paul played about everything you can think of from pop to jazz on a solid body guitar. Find the tone in your head, start with a great guitar, it will make you a better guitar player, at least in your own mind. Thats all that matters.

Mark

Archived