Heritage Owners Club

Is it just me? But... prices headed downhill!

the jayce

If Heritage was to secure a deal with GC it would be an absolute nightmare and would probably lead to the complete destruction of the Heritage Guitar Company. Unless it was done on a pilot program basis in just a very few isolated GC locations. Think of it . . . if GC was to order just 4 guitars for each store, it would result in an order for hundreds of guitars!! What the hell would Heritage do with that?? They couldn't ramp up production quickly enough to fill the order . . . and if they tried to . . . they would need to devote virtually every resource, financial and employee, to the GC order. Every other dealer customer's order would need to take a back seat. That would piss off . . . every dealer they have . . . including Jay Wolfe. Their loyal dealers would leave them in droves. When Heritage failed to deliver, as expected, to GC. . . . GC would then abandon them too. They would be left with nothing . . . except additional debt from buying all of the raw materials needed to fill the GC order!!

Heritage is not the right vendor for GC . . . and GC is not the right dealer for Heritage.

[/q

Just depends on how big they want to get, the more they sell the more money they make and that is a pretty big motivator for anyone especially a business and at the end of the day and you boil it down heritage guitars is a business and there to make money. I dont see heritage driving the demand fenders and gibsons do for a long long time. gibson's and fenders have been around forever and they have earned thier place in the guitar pecking order.

Heritage needs to expand or they are just not going to break through to the masses. Masses translates to money in thier pockets and I dont know any business owners that thinks thats a bad idea, nestalgia and love of the craft doesnt set your retirement and pay for nice autos and homes and vacations, but money does..... It's time for them to take a chance and expand--- they have the ultimate product to chance it with.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mgoetting

I wish they would sell HRWs in some volume. It's hard to get those presently. That might provide a little margin for them.

Seems to me the topic was "...prices heading downhill!"

I'm not sure they are. It wasn't too long ago you could see an H-150cm selling in the $650 range. Now, anything south of $1K is a bargain.

Even so, I've also noticed that many of the relatively few Heritage guitars that come up for sale on ebay & c-list are being purchased by HOC members; mgoetting and brentrocks being among the most prolific traders. Seems like when these bad boys go on a buying spree...prices go up. Conversely, when they need shoes for the kids and start selling off inventory...prices go down.

Perhaps this is a completely unplanned innocent by-product of a few GASsy HOC members with the gotta-haves. Or, it could be the result of more sinister, deliberate market manipulation reminiscent of 19th century robber-barons like Jay Gould and Vanderbilt.

You decide.

• 1 year later...

I happened to start this topic last year and just stumbled across it tonight . My thoughts have since changed from an economy thing to perhaps more of a cultural shift in the guitar it's self. What I mean is I have noticed a big lag in up and coming guitarists.... I have an 17 year old son and guitars in his generation are rarely mentioned! I know when I was that age everyone wanted to be a guitar god. I dont see that anymore.

Possibly the guitar is waiving in it's appeal to the younger masses.. I dont know. But I know many other instruments have suffered the same fate, for example.... Pretty much all brass instruments, sax's trumpets ect. Pianos had thier hayday after the collapse of the big band era, but too have slipped in society as a must learn, which inturn went to the electric/acoustic guitar craze from the late sixties on up. Having children in the age of whats in makes me see hings a little differently and I realize maybe guitar sales are way down across the board for many other reasons than a bad economy. From what i can see theres a major cultural shift in music which seems to be hip hop/rap/techcno ect... and the guitar is not nearly the prominent beast it once was.

We all know what a great guitar is,,, hell we all own a heritage for goodness sake!!! but we come from a different genere and I can see I possible change in the course of what a guitar may mean in the music industry just by having a first hand view of what todays youth are into,,, and it's not being the next guitar virtueoso like we all wanted to be in are youth. I guess my point being in the end is just that the buyers market is just shrinking by the year. Sure there are young ones who want to be a guitarist but not nearly as many as when we where young.

This is just a thought I had and wanted to share and get some other opinions on,,, especially from those of you who have teens and a first hand view of where the trends are headed.

I believe you are somewhat correct. Guitar is an older guys thing to some extent. Still younger guys getting into it but with the amount of good and diverse music out there guitar just isnt as prominent as it used to be.

My daughter and her friends(including boys) mainly listen to dance and hip hop. ( I think its called hip hop) with some rap thrown in. Rock seems to be a curiosity amongst them. They are all familiar with the classics like ACDC and Foo Fighters, Greenday etc but not so into the newer stuff.(note that classics to them is music from the 90's. Its at least a little relevant)

Metal out of all the genres seems to still attract younger guys and there will always be a call for guitar players in church bands..

Only local observation. Wouldnt have a clue what its like else where. This is or was a predominantly rock city. Lot of clubs and bars dont have bands any more, DJ's and doff doff music seems to attract more punters. Im 47 and dont care either way.

Hi, John Covach, an unbelievable jazz quartet in Chicago was playing at The Gallery, on Oakley, in Chicago, this past Mon. They play at 10p. the last Mon of each month. Only four people served as the audience. They actually passed around a can during the break for tips. This is pathetic. Depression, anyone?- Charley Bevell

Archived