Heritage Owners Club

SD 59 PAF's in a H575. Good choice?

Jazzkatz

I am considering getting a Heritage H575 that has Seymour Duncan PAF 59r's in it. I just missed on one with Seth Lovers and that one is not coming back so it's lost. I live in Germany where Heritage guitars are scarce and far between so I can't easily just order one to my specs.

How does the SD PAF 59 perform (sound) in an all maple H575?

What pups are in your H575?

thanks!

Hi JazzKatz and welcome to the club from an English player who also has found that Heritage guitars are few and fart between.

I own a 555 which has Seymour Duncan 59's in it and it sounds fabulous, you will not be disapointed at all. The 59's are not as high output as the JB and other pick ups, so they will sound very nice with the 575. Although I do like jazz very much, particularly Kenny Burrell and similar players, I am not a jazz player. However, my friend on this forum, peteraltongreen is a wonderful jazz player and has pulled some beautiful tones out of the seymour duncan 59's I have on the 555 when he plays it.

The 555 is an all maple guitar, in as far as a ply top can be said to be maple. I can get some very nice deep warmth from my 555 right through to a real nice treble tone for high leads. I know the 555 is not a 575, but is is for want of a better phrase a very close relation.

I would certainly buy the guitar with the 59's on it, if you do decide to change the pick ups and put seth lovers on the guitar, you will still have a pair of 59's to sell, which are very desirable pick ups to own. Go for it, don't miss out, and post us some pictures of the guitar when you get it, we will look forward to seeing them.

I second Marks assertion that even if you decide to swith to Seths, then you still have a pickup that is very desirable on the used market so you can sell them to help cover the costs of getting the Seths.

Either way, the 59s are very good sounding pickup.

Kind of a win/win. You either get a good pickup or you can sell the good pickup for another good pickup that is more voiced to your taste.

I have something a little different in my 575....Fralin Unbuckers.

I like them much better than the Schallers in my other 575.

I've had 59's in other guitars and loved them.

I would think they would be great in a 575.

As always, the question is what tone you're going for.. what type of sound for what type of music..

But the '59 is very versatile . It's potted, so no squeal and not too hot , so it can do some fine clean tones.

The Seth is more open, which is typical of an unpotted pickup. But the '59 can cover a lot of ground and some might prefer it.

I like both pickups... but I'm easy , I think. :D

I am considering getting a Heritage H575 that has Seymour Duncan PAF 59r's in it. I just missed on one with Seth Lovers and that one is not coming back so it's lost. I live in Germany where Heritage guitars are scarce and far between so I can't easily just order one to my specs.

thanks!

According to Seymour Duncan, the '59 PAF is the most popular and #1 top selling pickup of all. Very smooth and versatile. There are a lot of folks who have a version of the '59 PAF. Besides Gibson, Seymour Duncan is the only one to have Seth Lover collaborate with his design. Here is one thing to consider though, I would recommend wax potted pickups in a hollow body to avoid feedback. The SD Seth Lover pickup is not wax potted, the '59 is. No need to re-learn that lesson.

I've got the Seths in mine and couldn't imagine it with anything else . . . then again, I don't have much experience at all with humbuckers having been a single-coil only guy for a long time. So my advice isn't worth much! :D But it looks like you've got some already that is . . . For what it's worth, I would second what others have said: Score the 575 any way you can and change things if you want to later. If you they're rare where you are, take what you can get! You won't be disappointed!!

I was going to mention the unpotted pups feeding back easier....not something you want in a hollowbody I guess.....but I prefer the sound of unpotted pickups; had some '59's & they were ok, but my wolfetone legends & throbak's are much better sounding: not as sterile & have more airiness, for lack of a better word

*edit* is a 555 the same thickness as a 535? if so you'll probably be ok, it would be worse in a 3" body I'd think....I tried seth's in a 335 & they were great

thanks!

I like the Duncan '59 with an all Maple guitar. Maple is a brighter tone wood than mahogany. That being said, the best choice for a pickup would be one that is a little on the darker side. Especially, if you want more of a jazz sound. Too bright of a pickup and Maple will sound like a Tele. I'm not familiar with some of the boutique pickups. Another suggestion might be to contact Seymour Duncan (Tel: (805) 964-9610) in California. Enjoy the H-575.

All the best,

Mark

thanks!

I've got Bill Lawrence Wilds in mine and the guitar sounds wonderful, but I should think 59's would sound great too! They're great pups!

I've got Bill Lawrence Wilds in mine and the guitar sounds wonderful, but I should think 59's would sound great too! They're great pups!

I love the Bill Lawrence pickups. I have a set "OBL" that came in a custom guitar built in '86. I like everything about them. The guitar is a Strat style guitar made by Dean Markley. They only built 12 guitars, all prototypes, all different. This is my only experience with Bill Lawrence pickups.

Archived