Heritage Owners Club

Cube 80XL

I don't know about you guys but the more I use this amp the more I am impressed with it. I have always been a Fender man. I wanted so much to buy a comparable first generation Mustang series several years ago but when I did a side by side caparison, there was no comparison other than the price. (The Fender was slightly cheaper) Don't get me wrong Fender make very good equipment but this amp just blows me away. I have since pared it with a Carvin 1X12 which has added a lot to the dynamics. Recently I have been looking a tube amps but I just can't one that satisfies what I am listening for tone wise. Maybe some day but for right now I am sticking with the Roland Cube 80XL. A very cool amp for its price.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1122

That's great, GM. I have also paired the Cube with other cabs and you can really get some fun stuff out of it.

To be honest, and I am all but sure this wont happen, I am hoping they come out with just a 'Jazz Cube' that is only the JC Clean but with reverb and a multi band graphic EQ. I'd love to have something so simple.

But, the old 80x does just fine for now.

You and BarryMClark feel the same way!

Indeed!

My used Cube 60 is the best bang for the buck I've heard. Plenty of power and nothing comes close in sound for a mere 200 dollars. And it doesn't break my back to lug around. We "cubists" really like those qualities.

I tried to check one out at Guitar Center - it seemed so complicated to get things to work - that's why I didn't go for it.

Odd... might have been something wrong with it. My experience is these are pretty well plug in and go.

The tuner is a little fussy... but works fine for quick tune ups. I don't care for having to set the 'amp' dial to the string I want to tune. But... since I don't use anything other than the JC Clean, it doesn't muck with anything really.

For someone looking for that tube 'squish' and complexity of tone, the Cube may not do it for you. If you want a nice, clean, articulate jazz tone, it will be honestly tough to find something that works better. Different? Yes. Better? That'd be tough. Like I said, I put this up against my Mesa and it held its own with an amp that easily cost 4x as much. It has some things that the Mesa does not... just as the Mesa has things the Cube does not.

My used Cube 60 is the best bang for the buck I've heard. Plenty of power and nothing comes close in sound for a mere 200 dollars. And it doesn't break my back to lug around. We "cubists" really like those qualities.

Indeed. I have even considered dropping some coin to have a custom solid pine cab made for it to shed a few more pounds. Maybe even an Eminence Patriot CR. Dunno.... but, anyways, that is a great, great amp and, I get why rock guys wouldn't much care for it. Jazz, though, I mean... geez. There is stuff out there like Evans and so on... and those are great amps... no doubt. BUT... if you got something that makes you happen and sounds good... unless you are getting paid, why bother getting something just to make forum conversation. Hell... I gotta be honest... I get more conversation out of my Cube support than anything else. haha.

Jazz, though, I mean... geez.

Yeah, I traded my Super Champ XD because it didn't do much for my Eagle Classic. The Eagle and Cube are a great match. Just dial down instead of up.

Now I'm surprised at how well the Cube, with a distortion pedal, covers my solid body basic Rock n Roll needs too. I'll keep my Mesa, but pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Cube can't be beat.

Odd... might have been something wrong with it. My experience is these are pretty well plug in and go.

The tuner is a little fussy... but works fine for quick tune ups. I don't care for having to set the 'amp' dial to the string I want to tune. But... since I don't use anything other than the JC Clean, it doesn't muck with anything really.

For someone looking for that tube 'squish' and complexity of tone, the Cube may not do it for you. If you want a nice, clean, articulate jazz tone, it will be honestly tough to find something that works better. Different? Yes. Better? That'd be tough. Like I said, I put this up against my Mesa and it held its own with an amp that easily cost 4x as much. It has some things that the Mesa does not... just as the Mesa has things the Cube does not.

I've never been very smart about SS amps, and there's usually no book of directions, or any sales help around to get me started, so its hard to even demo stuff like that.

I've never been very smart about SS amps, and there's usually no book of directions, or any sales help around to get me started, so its hard to even demo stuff like that.

A new cube will come with a book or one can down load one on-line. It is not really that complicated.

This conversation and Slammer's post about his Delta Blues going down got me thinking about how I'd feel if my Cube or Mesa went down. I'd be bummed if the Mesa went down, but I'd be outright heartbroken if the Cube went down.

... but don't take that as me not liking the Mesa less than the Cube. I just haven't owned it neary as long. That relationship is still blossoming. :)

That's great, GM. I have also paired the Cube with other cabs and you can really get some fun stuff out of it.

To be honest, and I am all but sure this wont happen, I am hoping they come out with just a 'Jazz Cube' that is only the JC Clean but with reverb and a multi band graphic EQ. I'd love to have something so simple.

But, the old 80x does just fine for now.

Indeed!

+1 on the Jazz Cube concept!

That is a great idea.

How close does their JC90 come to filling that need, however?

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/250

Can't really say as I have never played through a JC90. I much prefer the Cube tone to the JC120. They are very close, but there is just something to the Cube I like better.

Glad you dig the Jazz Cube idea. I sincerely doubt it will ever be made though.

The 4-band EQ is nice on the JC, but I'd opt for more bands in the neighborhood of maybe 7-10 similar to the Boss pedal.

Not a big fan of the JC reverb. It isn't horrible, but I don't care much for it either.

So... I'd do this:

Solid Pine cab (for weight reduction if nothing else)

Eminence Cannibis Rex 12"

Improve the tuner (Geez... just put the TU2 in there.)

The reverb on the Cube 80x is fine by me but I would just throw in the reverb from the Boss Fender reverb pedal.

I am on the fence with adding a delay, but if it is gonna be in there, emulate the Boss DD-3. (have this effect footswitchable and a tap tempo).

Graphic EQ (several bands)

Speaker out.

Line out.

Footswitch controllable tuner.

Clean boost (also footswitch controllable).

Looper from the regular Cube.

...include the 5 button footswitch, too. Geez. (one button for clean boost, one for the tuner, one for the delay on/off, one for delay tap tempo and one for the looper).

Archived