Heritage Owners Club

Gary Moore's First and Last Heritage!

yngwie308

I'm sure all of you have seen these clips from 1990 when Gary plays his CM-150, the prototype (sort of) for his Heritage Signature model. Gary's guitar here has a P.J.Marx in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueQBlfByrcc

This tour was the last time we saw this guitar being played by Gary, if he even still owns it...this was a great show Belfast 1989, but he had amp problems during the whole show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMC_IgwecMM...PL&index=13

Interestingly Gary Moore never owned a Heritage Gary Moore Signature model, not even #1!! Will explain the story at a later time..

yngwie308

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
his gibby sig is ugly too...its just a studio model

I kinda like the Gib GM. Basically is was the studio model, as you've pointed out. But with an upgraded top, nicer appointments, etc. And, here's the kicker ... at the time very affordable for a siggy model. Word is that Gary wanted players to be able to get a better guitar for a reasonable price. The Gib GMs are dandy guitars if you can find one. Still, the Heritage GM kicks it all over, as you well know! ;)

that is an early 150...still has the G cut
Tone for DAYS!!! WOW!! I wonder what type of amp he uses..

Our Graham Zebedee sheds some light here, as he was the UK Heritage sales (Mangler?) Mgr. for Terry Haselden during that era. Terry was Heritage's UK Distributor & initiated the Moore endorsement- designed the guitars with Moore & supplied the certificates. Graham says:

"personally handed Gary Moore 2 sig. models, for him to keep & play"

" I checked in the Prototype sig. model before sending it on to Gary."

" He owned (during that time) a H140CM (saw him play it in the studio- After The War) AND 3 H150's.

" He was photographed for the resulting cover shot for the After The War album with his no.1 Sig. model (first one of the burst series). I was present for the shoot & took Gary to lunch afterwards"

" I was Gary's guest for a concert at Hammersmith-Odeas where he opened with the Heritage GM No.1 that I gave him.

" Gary would just authorize 75 guitars, however Japan ordered 50 of the 1'st batch & we ordered 40- so I approached Gary & obtained his reluctant OK for another 75 in a different color." (1'st 75 in Amber & 2'nd group in Almond Burst- which was the color he wanted in the 1'st place)

" I could go on, but hopefully this is helpful."

Jay Wolfe adds- It'd be kinda cool to get Terry Haselden to sign in one of these days to answer some questions about Heritage during the early days in old Blighty. He knows where some of the bodies are buried, so it could get bloody. Terry did an amazing job with Heritage- with ZERO support from K-Zoo.

Wolfe Guitars

Jay, always nice to have you drop in and shed some insight. So, I take it there's a whopping total of 150 GM sigs floating around? Or is my math off somewhere? One would have to feel very special to own just one, let alone two like yngwie308 has (I think he said he has two). Very rare Heritage bird, right there.

BTW, loving the G&L Z3. Just thought I'd toss that in. ;)

BTW, loving the G&L Z3. Just thought I'd toss that in. ;) [/font]

Just an aside, because there are more than a few G&L players here, played my first Z3 yesterday. It was a NAMM guitar. Absolutely gorgeous, especially the bird's eye gun oil tint neck! And it was a great player...and just how many different tones are there in one of those things, anyway??? Sorry for the non-Heritage post.

H-I-J-A-C-K

Hey Jay,

Graham told me you went to NAMM. Any thing interesting happening there?

By the way--got my Hamer Artist last week. It's phenominal--thanx!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program!

[quote name='Thundersteel'

"Hey Jay,

Graham told me you went to NAMM. Any thing interesting happening there?"

Quick Nash-Vegas NAMM Report:

* Heritage had a small but nice display- Skolnick H150 in OSB, H137 DC in Cherry, etc. Kinda nice setup . Vince Margol. Lane Z., Jim D., Sue Z., and (surprise) now retired J.P.Moats- the world's most experienced guitar maker & a heckova guy. I collected the flamiest R.Clark Blonde H535 ever (Posting at Gbase later) and a half dozen other killer pieces, including a knockout H530 in Cherry off the display.

* Show was half its usual size & poorly attended, which made for a pleasant show for us, as we could actually move about freely & speak with people. (bottle of water = $3, Gallon of gas = $2.19)

* Burriss Amps are impressive & those are cool guys. Scored some while there.

* Found some Ladies making picks from "Wheat" that are cool & bio-degradable. Wheatware.com

* Found a guy with guitar wall hangers that look like Monster's hands- made in Detroit. Had to have 'em. Too cool.

* Heard: Tom Hemby with his band- freakin' amazing & has a GREAT new CD with his Sweet 16 on the cover. Tom gets better & better! Also caught -James Burton, Nokie Edwards, Duane Eddie, Rick Zito & a seemingly cast of hundreds at the Ryman. Pretty cool vintage show with the real guys playing their hits. Caught a set of John Jorgenson melting his frets....OMG!

* Met with Rick Derringer & discussed (for the 10'th time) a possible Heritage Sig, Limited model. Rick wants a H555 with blocks & Perhaps a Bigsby, ala McCoys days. I posed (cooler?) perhaps a H357 w/ P-90's, H137 or something cool like that. (What do I know?) Left Rick to discuss with the Heritage crew- 10'th time.......................sigh.....

* Spent a lot of time scoping out possible locations for Wolfe Guitars Nash-Vegas location. More as we develop it.

* Visited with old friends- including Ron Hemby (myspace Soul Cages), Tom Hemby, Joe Glaser, George Gruhn, Fred Newell, Joe Naylor, and SO many others. This my favorite part of these shows & I miss visiting with John Pearce & other wonderful characters that have left us. NAMM is fun when you're ME!

Jay Wolfe

Thanks for the report!

Spent a lot of time scoping out possible locations for Wolfe Guitars Nash-Vegas location. More as we develop it.

Are you moving, or are you expanding? Hint: There are NO music stores in the city I live--you could have the monopoly!

NAMM is fun when you're ME!

Is that an invitation? ;)

Thanks for the report!

Are you moving, or are you expanding? Hint: There are NO music stores in the city I live--you could have the monopoly!

Where do you reside? Expansion is in the air. (some NEVER learn)

Jay Wolfe

Thanks for the report!

Where do you reside? Expansion is in the air. (some NEVER learn)

Jay Wolfe

There are no music stores in my basement! I need one there very much!

I thought I had sent a PM to Jay Wolfe yesterday, yet I can't find a trace of it and Jay didn't reply so if I have only a certain amount of posts I can't send a PM.

Any way Brent has PM's me just recently and I have spoken with him before regarding my two GM Heritage's, I don't know if he remembers, so her is my PM to Jay, hope it reads it somehow, there is nothing too personal that I can't just list it here??

Hello Jay, thanks for your information. For many years I sort of 'assumed' that the reason I never had even seen Gary pictured with the Heritage Signature guitars, was that he was put out by the production of the second series of 75!!

The Heritage that Gary is pictured with on the cover of "After The War", has his name engraved on the truss rod, so that is a different model than the one he uses Live at Montreux and during the Belfast show in 1989?

I never knew the fact that Gary took delivery of two of the signature models at all. I just have never seen a picture of him with any of these, ect.

To your knowledge does he still own these guitars?

I was hot to trot to get one of the Signature models when I read the issue of Guitar World that year. I immediately placed an order with the factory for one and they explained it would be a wait to get one, I felt lucky to get one at all.

Then after I had special ordered it, I placed a call to Manny's Music in NYC and they had an Amberburst model(the first75) brand new in stock. I also purchased this, a I wasn't sure what would happen with the Heritage factory order, ect.

My Amberburst is #55 of 75. I bought it over the phone on 2/7/91, laughably on the receipt it reads Gibson Heritage Ltd. Edition #55 !!

With case $1085, I had it shipped UPS Priority Red at the time. This guitar came with the COA and in a rectangular Heritage logo-ed case.

When my second Gary Moore Heritage arrived at A-Z Music in Morrisville, Pa., I lived near the main line in Philadelphia in those days,I had put down my deposit on2/5/91.

The list price was $1550 and I paid a total of $952.94 with tax included. I still was not familiar with all the colors or the production of the second run of 75 at that time, though in retrospect on my receipts it states Almond Sunburst, and when I pulled back the tissue paper after opening the case, it was a different color than my first series.

I had spoken with Rendell Wall several times on the phone and he confirmed to me that the demand for the first 75 had been so great, they decided to produce the ssecond series of 75. My guitar is #45 of that series..I had a waiting number for my order #4027 at the time.

I have met you before at various vintage shows and spoken of Heritages to you. I sold my original bridges and stoptailpieces to John Kinnemeyer of JK Luthiery in exchange for some books, after my conversions to Gotoh Nashville bridges and G type stoptails. Also the late great John Zeidler, who did the work on the guitars for me, refretted them with stainless steel fretwire. Thay are great guitars and I have kept everything else stock on them..the Almondburst came in a Gibson style form fitted case.

Thanks for clearing these facts up for me and everyone else, it is rare enough to find people who even know what these guitars are to start with..

Thank you and any other information you might have about Gary and these guitars, including any pictures of him sith the Sig models, would be greatly appreciated.

I had always thought there was some sort of rift with Heritage and Gary, that's why I never saw him with one or heard of them again, in relation to him.

I have posted on the GM fan forum for many years and no one knew anything about all this either.

Regards

David

Further to this, the picture on the cover of the After The War album, doesn't have the GM script signature the production models had, any reason for this?

Thought you guys would like to see this Greeny replica made from an R8 :

GreenBurstPreview-3.jpg

The real and the replica:

pgdj.jpg

daire_gm.jpg

c8f5d4a4.jpg

Also my new website in it's infancy, will have my corrected Heritage story soon, thanks to Jay Wolfe as I need more info on that period of Gary and Heritage in the UK, form that time period!!

46cb1e0f.jpg

My site

www.daveonrock.com

yngwie308

Fairly sure that one has been there awhile. Even discussed once or twice here. Price seems a bit high. Don't care if it is a GM, darned pretty and #58 of 75. $5k is too much for that guitar.

You are so right t. I would love to have a GM-always pestering Brent. But it's gotta be about twice what I would be willing to pay. That's just me though.

Archived