Heritage Owners Club

New Amp Day ! It's Aliiiiiiive!

Jazzerous

It's all Slider's fault!!!

If He hadn't posted the original " Das Franken Master "combo from a 66 Bandmaster chassis I would have been buying a Rambler Serious Franken Gas caused me to start building my FrankenMaster ! Found a 65 Fender Bandmaster head and and had a fabulous combo cabinet made by Larry Rodgers of Rodgers Amps. I picked out the rough Blonde tolex and the aged Wheat grillcloth . Larry even stained the pine interior and put the extra speaker cloth on the back vents for that Vintage Vibe~~~!! The Speaker is a 15 " Weber British Blue dog 4 ohm ceramic set up at 4ohm as the Band Master likes 4 0hm loads. This combo is Killa!!! I am overwelmed !!!

Thank you so much Slider for your help & wisdom on this project!!!! How bout some pics!!!

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

So Far It sounds Fantastic!! I have not yet cranked it any higher than 4-5 on the volume with the wife and kids sleeping ! I finally got her assembled after 9:00pm last night. My Amp tech Fat Willie had gone through the amp and brought it back to Blackface specs replacing several resistors and caps that were the wrong ones and the 2 power tubes . The other tubes checked out ok so no need to replace them So much more dynamic than my Lone Star Classic . It has that special tone I have not heard before . I really did not know what to expect this being my first Blackface I had ever heard or played!! I am hoping to give her a full sound check today !! Boojah!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all Slider's fault!!!

If He hadn't posted the original " Das Franken Master "combo from a 66 Bandmaster chassis I would have been buying a Rambler Serious Franken Gas caused me to start building my FrankenMaster ! Found a 65 Fender Bandmaster head and and had a fabulous combo cabinet made by Larry Rodgers of Rodgers Amps. I picked out the rough Blonde tolex and the aged Wheat grillcloth . Larry even stained the pine interior and put the extra speaker cloth on the back vents for that Vintage Vibe~~~!! The Speaker is a 15 " Weber British Blue dog 4 ohm ceramic set up at 4ohm as the Band Master likes 4 0hm loads. This combo is Killa!!! I am overwelmed !!!

Thank you so much Slider for your help & wisdom on this project!!!! How bout some pics!!!

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

What are the chances we will all get to se and hear it at PSP IV? Pictures are nice but I want to hear it. Beauty is only skin deep, but that vibe goes way down (4ohm 15"). Thats what I'm talkin about. Just whip out your big 15".

TAD tubes and Fat Willie is the amp tech for Dereck Trucks from the Allman Bros.

He Fat Willie aka "Lord Valve" has not heard my combo yet, but he was impressed with the head run through one of his vintage cabs. The tubes matched set TAD /Shuguang 6L6WGC has simular design as the GE but was only $42. for the pair. I asked abou running expesive Nos tubes and he said unless I was gigging the country and running the amp at max levels I would not notice the differences or worth the extra price.

Any suggestions on a OD pedal Mike??

Cheers Mike

He is correct on running newer power tubes but it's the preamp tubes that make the most difference. I would use only good old USA branded preamp tubes. RCA, Raytheon or GE 12ax7's sound great in V1. In V2 I would stick with either an RCA grey plate or Raytheon blackplate. V3 is your trem tube and anything will work there as it's not in the signal path. For V4, a good strong 12at7 with some clarity to it like; an RCA 12at7/6679, GE 12at7wa/6201 or an original Tung Sol if you can find them.

As for an OD pedal, I use an Analogman King of Tone IV. A good transparent OD will work well as you don't want to use something that colors the tone too much. Analogman also does his "magic" to TS9's. You can send in a TS9 and he will mod it to get rid of the "mid hump" and "open it up". I also use a Fulltone Fulldrive II sometimes but it's brighter and has more gain on tap.

The pre amp tubes are american made JJ's . and he thought that was fine . He aggreed about the tremelo tube not being something to worry about . Willie said he had some 6201's for 40/each but he would want my amp over night to get a matched set dialed in to the amp itself. Like you said he knows what he is doing with amps. I appreciate the guidance and help from someone who has been through alot of in the field trial and error Mike!!! Thanks for the idea on the OD pedal . How do you like the cream knobs I put on?? The originals sere really dirty i guess I could clean em . I do like the numbers on the black originals !

Mike,

JJ's are made in the old Tesla factory in the Slovak Republic. You would only need one 6201/ 12at7 for your phase inverter (V4). The cream knobs are cool but I prefer the black numbered ones. You may be able to get them in 6 packs at a Fender dealer. I have about a dozen 6201's and if you need one I'll pick a matched triode for you for $15. As far as 12ax7's, I really don't like to part with them (NOS-USA) because they are getting quite expensive lately.

I prolly got my facts mixed up on the matched set of 6201's as I only need one of those but I told Willie about your recs on tubes for V1 ,V2 ,and V4 ala 6201 . So I am sure he will get it right. Daw gone new guys I should have written down what numbers he was saying. Thanks again for the help!!

Thanks Brent and the guys for the compliments ! Jumpering the channnels gives me the best of both channels a liitle more punch and tends to thicken the tone . I am experimenting with all the options being the new toy.

I had my amp tech" Lord Valve"aka" Fat Willie" add a Triode mode switch where the original stock ground switch was rendered useless since a 3 prong properly-wired ground cord had been added . The Triode gives me the option to run the amp from the original 40 watts RMS to @13; this gives more overdrive,less headroom and a decrease in volume ,and an increase in sustain and funk. It operates the power tubes as triodes instead of beam tetrodes . It is useful for producing "blues" tone and supposed to be good in recording sessions or smaller rooms too.

I am sure Slider can add additional detail in this regard as I got the initial idea to jumper from his lead otherwise I never would have done it on my own . This all quite new to me . I am learning as fast as I can!!!

Cheers Mike

Jumping channels lets you use both at the same time; which thickens tone and makes the amp sound very full. It can be done in amp where the channels are in phase. If the amp was one of the Fenders with reverb it wouldn't work well. The normal and reverb channels are out of phase on Fender reverb amps. This little "mod" was done in the late 60's with Marshall amps.

Archived