Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Classic 30

Guido

That's just £200 - I couldn't even buy the tubes for that much here! ;)

Gosh, it seems like you guys in the UK have got it very tough when it comes to buying equipment - is the main problem import taxes, not enough people over there producing this stuff, both?

Gosh, it seems like you guys in the UK have got it very tough when it comes to buying equipment - is the main problem import taxes, not enough people over there producing this stuff, both?

American guitars and amps are expensive, mainly because of the import taxes and VAT (sales tax - currently 17.5%, soon to be 20%). We have a decent amp building tradition in the UK and lots of small scale luthiers, but nothing even on the scale of Heritage, never mind Gibson, Fender and so on. The upside is that the used market is decent for sellers - I sold an H-516 recently for the equivalent of $1600, over twice as much as it would have gone for in the States!

There are a few amp makers here who clone the Fender tweed stuff, Torres is one of the better known ones, but sometimes you just want that brand name staring back at you!

I'm happy buying guitars direct from the States and have done so five times but amps are too problematic with voltage differences, and weight and fragility in shipping. If I'm patient, I'll find a Fender tweed for about £350 sometime after Christmas I think.

• 2 weeks later...

My c30 is a great little amp and has served me well over the 14 years I've owned her. I recently put quite a bit of $$ into her to get the sound I was after, but hands-down a tough little amp to beat for the money. I dropped a Weber Chicago in about 5 months ago and it has done wonders to the tone.

Hope you dont mind me throwing pennies here...but if I was looking for a c30 NOW, I'd grab an older one that was made here in the States. I'm almost positive they are made overseas now. If you can find one...Mine is so old that it didnt even have a Blue Marvel labeled speaker in it! Just an unlabeled Emininace! Built like a tank

(i own plenty of imported gear so I'd not sniffing corks...just my opinion but the older ones sound better to my ears than the new ones)

Guest HRB853370

My c30 is a great little amp and has served me well over the 14 years I've owned her. I recently put quite a bit of $$ into her to get the sound I was after, but hands-down a tough little amp to beat for the money. I dropped a Weber Chicago in about 5 months ago and it has done wonders to the tone.

Hope you dont mind me throwing pennies here...but if I was looking for a c30 NOW, I'd grab an older one that was made here in the States. I'm almost positive they are made overseas now. If you can find one...Mine is so old that it didnt even have a Blue Marvel labeled speaker in it! Just an unlabeled Emininace! Built like a tank

(i own plenty of imported gear so I'd not sniffing corks...just my opinion but the older ones sound better to my ears than the new ones)

I think I paid around $250 for mine used. Thinking about replacing the Blue Marvel with an Eminence. Not sure which one though. I thought all the higher end Peavey stuff was made (still) in Meridian MS.

I think I paid around $250 for mine used. Thinking about replacing the Blue Marvel with an Eminence. Not sure which one though. I thought all the higher end Peavey stuff was made (still) in Meridian MS.

Before you buy an Eminence, consider a Weber Blue Dog. Not terribly cheap, but money very well spent, in my opinion. I love mine. They build to order, so it may take a week or two, but it's worth it. My buddy liked mine so much, he bought the same speaker with the same level of "dope", the shiny goo they slather on the outer edge of the speaker. Mine's Heavy Dope, by the way. HMMM, sounds like a good name for a band..... :icon_biggrin:

After reading all the input on this thread I ordered one. Thank You.

Brian, where did you order the blue dog from?

Right here...

http://www.tedweber.com/

10% off for a couple more days! You'll love the amp, Paul. I fired mine up last night when my drummer buddy came over, and plugged in my new-to-me H-137. On the CLEAN channel, cranked all the way up, the breakup is pure Rock and Roll. Pretty loud, though, so our wives yelled down that they couldn't carry on a conversation with the racket (RACKET?!!), so I switched to the dirty channel, and brought the volume down a bit. Still Ass Kickin' tone. Enjoy your NAD!! It definitely has NADs!!

Right here...

http://www.tedweber.com/

10% off for a couple more days! You'll love the amp, Paul. I fired mine up last night when my drummer buddy came over, and plugged in my new-to-me H-137. On the CLEAN channel, cranked all the way up, the breakup is pure Rock and Roll. Pretty loud, though, so our wives yelled down that they couldn't carry on a conversation with the racket (RACKET?!!), so I switched to the dirty channel, and brought the volume down a bit. Still Ass Kickin' tone. Enjoy your NAD!! It definitely has NADs!!

Thanks Man,

I'm going for the heavy goo. Amp is supposed to be in this week.

I'd check around first. I've heard the Blue Marvel is made by Eminence, and are very similar to their Big Ben model.

I've got the Peavey Delta Blues, with the 15" Blue Marvel; I've toyed with the idea of replacing the speaker, but I don't want to just pick one without hearing it first. The Weber site gives good descriptions, but they refer to stuff I'm not familiar with. For the kind of dough they get for the speaker, I'd like to be certain it's going to be a really big improvement.

After reading all the input on this thread I ordered one. Thank You.

Brian, where did you order the blue dog from?

Oh I could convince somebody to buy one!

Now I get 100 bucks from Peavey for a knew customer. Just kidding!

I'm sure you will enjoy your new amp.

Let us know what you think about it.

Once again congrats to a great little amp!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I played one at Sweetwater Sound a little while back. Yes it is an absolute great amp, especially for classic rock Imho. Question though, are the old Classic 30's the same as the newer models? I had tried a classic 30 2x12 before many years ago, but it seemed tame to the classic 30 1x12 I played a little while back. Just curious.

Hi,

I played one at Sweetwater Sound a little while back. Yes it is an absolute great amp, especially for classic rock Imho. Question though, are the old Classic 30's the same as the newer models? I had tried a classic 30 2x12 before many years ago, but it seemed tame to the classic 30 1x12 I played a little while back. Just curious.

That's my experience also...I own an old c30 (bought back in 92 or 93 if memory serves) and the newer ones just seem to me missing something. I cant tell you if Peavey changed the architecture or anything...maybe its just in my head.

I've since changed mine around (new speaker & tubes et al) to give me better jazz/blues tone but, hands down the c30 is a killer gigging amp.

Archived