Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Classic 30

Guido

I want to tell you about my knew amp: Peavey Classic 30!

Two weeks ago I was in a big music store with several rehearsal rooms.

I grabbed a guitar went in a free room and played a few amps I was interested in.

None of them gave me the tone I was looking for. I am a blues and classic rock player.

In one corner was the Peavey Classic 30. I played some Peavey amps before, but didn't like them much.

I have to say that these were non tube amps. So I thought I give it another try.

Immediately the first notes told me that this is exactly what I was looking for.

A very nice warm clean sound and a great distortion channel too.

Add just a little bit of reverb to it and it sounds heavenly.

But there is also a downside to it: it rattled!

So I left the store without the amp. At home I did a little bit of research (thanks to google).

The rattle issue is a common problem. Damn. I was disappointed. Finally I found my tone and then that.

So I scrolled through quiet a few forums and found this: Tom's Tube Tamer!

Somebody developed a cure for the rattling problem. Great! I'm in heaven again.

I searched Ebay for a good used one and found a guy who sold an amp with modifications done by TONEHUNTER.

I know the guys from TONEHUNTER but never went there, because the mods are very expensive.

The mod for the Peavey Classic 30 include knew matched tubes and a modified Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

You can read here about the modifications: TONEHUNTER.

Well I got the amp for a good price, because the auction ended at noon.

IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

IMO the mod does what described: smooth punchy low ends, no harsh high ends. The amp sounds like straight out of the 60ies / 70ies.

It rattles without Tom's Tube Tamer. But with the Tom's Tube Tamer no rattle at all!

I just can't tell you how much I enjoy the amp. I finally found my tone and it gives me a whole knew creativity while playing.

Hope you enjoyed my little read.

I would like to hear some more experiences and opinions from you about the Peavey Classic 30.

Guido

I love my C30. I've got the slightly newer edition, which comes with a tube guard built in and nice JJ tubes. I haven't given up on the stock Blue Marvel speaker, although lots of folks seem to swap them out for Celestions or Weber Blue Dogs or what have you.

I must be lucky..I've been playing thru a Classic 30 for about a year with no Tube rattle..But if I start getting it, it's good to know there's a cure, because I love the amp..Thanks..

Guest HRB853370

I am like Smurph, my C30 has no rattles at all. I had it retubed recently with JJ tubes and it is balls to the walls. I think it is as loud as my Classic 50, which has 2x12 in it. I was thinking of replacing the Blue Marvel speaker with one by Eminence. Anybody had any experience with Eminence? They have a very good reputation.

I am like Smurph, my C30 has no rattles at all. I had it retubed recently with JJ tubes and it is balls to the walls. I think it is as loud as my Classic 50, which has 2x12 in it. I was thinking of replacing the Blue Marvel speaker with one by Eminence. Anybody had any experience with Eminence? They have a very good reputation.

I have no experience with Eminence..I really like the sound of the stock "Blue Marvel" but I'm a half deaf old Hillbilly.. :icon_biggrin: YMMV

The question then becomes "Which Eminence speaker?" since they make a couple dozen models. Swamp Thang, Governor, Red Fang, Red Coat, Red White and Blues, Texas Heat. Make the head spin!

I have a Carvin external cab with the older BR12 speakers which I believe are rebranded Eminence Legends. I haven't hooked it up to the Peavey yet but that will happen some day, when I get to stay home for more than a day at a time!

changing out the tired out stock speaker to a Weber Blue Dog with "heavy dope," the shiny black crap around the rim of the speaker, made my C30 into a completely better amp. I have a Texas Heat in my fully modded Blues Junior, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Weber, IMHO. Retubing with JJ's from EuroTubes was the icing on the cake.

Great info here. I have a Classic 30 with the Blue Marvel speaker... I have noticed a rattle but never done the research, as I have just noticed it recently. So the Tubetamer works well even if you don't have the Celestion speaker? I kind of like the sound of the Blue Marvel, but maybe an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. Actually I have a second Classic 30 in my music room on loan that has been modded with a Mojo british speaker that doesn't sound much better if any better to me.

I had a Peavey 100 watt amp in the '70s, and right from the beginning the tubes rattled. Will have to try out the Classic 30 now that it's getting all this good press, here, especially with the 535.

So the Tubetamer works well even if you don't have the Celestion speaker?

Yes! It has nothing to do with the speaker. The Tube Tamer is just a metal "cage" that holds the

tubes firmly in place.

You can email him directly for an order or just search Ebay for Tom's Tube Tamer.

I'm using a Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt amp with the 15" speaker. Awesome amp for the money. A lot of people have the tube rattling problem with it, too. Those speakers are just inches away from the tubes, and they can rattle. So far it hasn't been an issue with mine, but I've read a lot of folks use the "tube tamer" with good results. If you look at the picture of it, it looks like it would be super easy to make. Although they're not crazy expensive, and you could save yourself the trial and error of making one.

I have no experience with Eminence..I really like the sound of the stock "Blue Marvel" but I'm a half deaf old Hillbilly.. :icon_biggrin: YMMV

The question then becomes "Which Eminence speaker?" since they make a couple dozen models. Swamp Thang, Governor, Red Fang, Red Coat, Red White and Blues, Texas Heat. Make the head spin!

I have a Carvin external cab with the older BR12 speakers which I believe are rebranded Eminence Legends. I haven't hooked it up to the Peavey yet but that will happen some day, when I get to stay home for more than a day at a time!

Im pretty sure the Peavey Blue Marvel is an Eminence speaker. What Im not so sure about is that it is a re badged Eminence Legend. Maybe try something other than an Eminence if you want a different flavour. Sounds Great through a 212 closed back cab with V30's or with a G12m in the combo.

As long as we're all here, can I ask a slightly different Classic 30 question?

Any quick advice about guitar-and/or-amp volume-and/or-tone settings to get the most out of the combination of a 535 into a Classic 30? Up to now, my experience with my C30 has been all single coils (tele and strat), but now I've got this brand spanking new fantastic H535! :D Shockingly, though, it's my first venture into humbucker territory. Different beast. Any tips would be appreciated.

As context, I'll probably be playing mostly blues, from clean to slightly dirty, with an occasional excursion into things like funk.

Will, check out the Eminence site, you can do tone comparisons of the various speakers (they have many models). Their tech support staff will help you with a decision as well, quick reply to my e mail. Made in the USA and the cost is reasonable got mine thru Musicians Friend, free shipping and no sales tax.

I've heard good things about the 30 as well. Is this tube rattle mostly on bass notes?

I must be lucky..I've been playing thru a Classic 30 for about a year with no Tube rattle..But if I start getting it, it's good to know there's a cure, because I love the amp..Thanks..

Sorry to keep weighing in on this, I don't have the same amp, but a similar model. I think you can reduce or eliminate tube rattle by spreading the pins just a bit so the tube fits nice and tight into into it's position. I changed my tubes and did that, and have not had a problem. If anything rattles, it's the duct work over my practice area!

Any quick advice about guitar-and/or-amp volume-and/or-tone settings to get the most out of the combination of a 535 into a Classic 30? Up to now, my experience with my C30 has been all single coils (tele and strat), but now I've got this brand spanking new fantastic H535! :D Shockingly, though, it's my first venture into humbucker territory. Different beast. Any tips would be appreciated.

As context, I'll probably be playing mostly blues, from clean to slightly dirty, with an occasional excursion into things like funk.

I'm still experimenting with the settings.

The amp is very loud. So I set the volume at home only around 2.

But it sounds very good. I can drive the sound with my guitar volume. With my guitar volume at 10 the clean channel sounds almost "dirty".

I add just a little reverb (around 3) and it really sounds fantastic. When I reduce the guitar volume to around 5 my LP almost sounds

like an acoustic. This amp is really versatile. I don't know if the mods are responsible for this.

But I really control the amp only with my guitar volume.

But your pups might have a different output than mine also I have different tubes in the amp and a modded speaker.

So this might not work for you.

Yeah..TURN IT TO ELEVEN!! No seriously, just futz around with it..I use channel one with a bit of reverb for my clean sound..(It LOVES my 535) and channel two is over drive, with the gain dimed.. for that singing so distorted it's almost clean tone!!YMMV..

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you pay for these in the States?

They're pretty expensive in the UK, not far off Fender Blues money. I'm on the lookout for a used one of either of them.

They run about $600 USD new from any of the big box retailers. I picked up a used one in great condition for $350, if I remember correctly. Might have been $300. It was on Craigslist so I didn't have shipping, just the 7 mile ride to the fellow's house.

Archived