Heritage Owners Club

Solid State Amps and Cryogenics... Possible?

Sparky

I've got an old Peavey bass amp (Basic 50) and I wanna get it out of the house. I've got a storage shed in the yard and was thinking of throwing a plastic bag over it and leaving it

out there for the winter, which can get as cold as 20 degrees below zero. Anyone know if I can do this and still have a useable amp come spring?

-20 twenty is pretty darn extreme for electronics that aren't designed to handle extreme temperatures. I'm not going to say it would cause a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised. Does Peavey have a tech support number? If so, why not run it passed them?

I've got an old Peavey bass amp (Basic 50) and I wanna get it out of the house. I've got a storage shed in the yard and was thinking of throwing a plastic bag over it and leaving it

out there for the winter, which can get as cold as 20 degrees below zero. Anyone know if I can do this and still have a useable amp come spring?

Typically consumer components are rated 0-70 degrees C for storage

Theres a chance that it would be just fine, so long as if it ever comes time to power it on again it has plenty of time to come back up to a reasonable temprature first

Of course, all that being said... it's also probably not really worth the risk.

As Mars_hall said, most consumer components are rated at minimum 0 Celsius, which is 32 Farenheit

If you are saying it can get to -20 F, that equates to -29 C; which is well below the saftey line.

Well... I guess I'll just throw the plastic bag over it and leave it in the basement somewhere, not that there's much room to be found down there. Whenever I get to thinking about getting rid of something I don't use very often, usually within a week or two I need it. I'm just not that into playing bass much anymore, but I only spent $50 for the thing so Its kind of pointless selling it. The person I bought it from left it in their garage for like ten years (its a 1989 amp), but the garage was attached to the house so it never really saw the low temps. I'm trying to turn into one of those hoarders you see on TV when it comes to music gear, but I wanted to start in the yard and work my way into the house instead of the other way around. So much for the "Walt Disney" approach. Thanks for the input gents...

This thread convinced me to rescue my Boogie Mark IV from the cold, damp garage and return it to the warmth of my mini-music room. I know, it isn't solid state, but the thought of any rust or corrosion setting in was motivation enough. Another bonus was that after cranking it up after months of remaining idle was how great it still sounds! Amazing amp.

The solid state Tech 21Trademark 30 and Carvin RL210 bass amp will remain under their amp covers in the garage. They are bullet proof amps. Plus it never gets below 30 degrees out there.

Archived