Heritage Owners Club

LEss than two weeks until I get to play my first Heritage

jjkrause84

Well...13 days and 'x' hours until I'm back home and playing my lovely Heritage 535. I can't wait! There is, afetr all, nothing...NOTHING like a semi-hollow guitar with humbuckers.

That said, I found out that Gibson actually does make a guitar I would REALLY like...their ES-345 in "tranlucent brown" (i.e. walnut). My breath was taken away when I learned....I could actually have my "dream" Gibson (or close enough). I'm still wrestlign in my head which I want more though, especialyl as I might be able to get a custom 535 for about the price of a second-hand Gibson 345 (which also assumes that a walnut 345 in good condition will come up at a 'fair' price). So, what say you? Spend $2k on a used Gibson (I get the pretty headstock and that irreplacable feeling brand-warmth), or get a custom Heritage 535 for (probably) about the same price?

Guest HRB853370

Well...13 days and 'x' hours until I'm back home and playing my lovely Heritage 535. I can't wait! There is, afetr all, nothing...NOTHING like a semi-hollow guitar with humbuckers.

That said, I found out that Gibson actually does make a guitar I would REALLY like...their ES-345 in "tranlucent brown" (i.e. walnut). My breath was taken away when I learned....I could actually have my "dream" Gibson (or close enough). I'm still wrestlign in my head which I want more though, especialyl as I might be able to get a custom 535 for about the price of a second-hand Gibson 345 (which also assumes that a walnut 345 in good condition will come up at a 'fair' price). So, what say you? Spend $2k on a used Gibson (I get the pretty headstock and that irreplacable feeling brand-warmth), or get a custom Heritage 535 for (probably) about the same price?

First of all, Heritage has a pretty headstock too!

Secondly, you should have no lack of "brand warmth" with a custom 535. None at all.

I vote go for the Heritage.

Research what options you'd like in the Heritage.... search here, check out the gallery, come up with your own thoughts or whatever.

Reach a point where you know the two guitars that you are choosing between more specifically than just "some" custom Heritage... have the details worked out so that you can make an informed decision.

That way you'll have thought through what you'd like from Heritage and how much it would cost.

Who knows , you may think of an option that really makes the Heritage appeal to you more.

And check out the joy in the old posts of those receiving their custom Heritage here..... it is palpable.

( made at Parsons St, Kalamazoo is a major plus )

What kind of Custom H-535 are you talking about getting?

If you're talking about having an H-535 made to your specs vs. a second-hand Gibson, I'd say go with the Heritage. If you are going to be able to try out both, that would make your decision easier, that way if one is your absolute dream guitar, you can go with the obvious choice. Still, a great guitar is by definition a great guitar.

It is funny, at this point after having a Heritage for a couple years, I think the Gibson headstock looks a little clunky and the Heritage looks sleek. That would change after having a nice Gibson for like a week, and while playing I don't notice it either way. Same thing happened when I had a Tele; I thought the headstocks were ugly but after a few days or so I got totally used to it. Still, I am surprised how much the headstock is emphasized and effects people.

Anyway, if you end up with a good example of either, you're probably going to be happy. I would say if you are doing a custom model you can probably get things more to what you are liking and overall have a better instrument at least to your preferences and style. Get what makes you happy though, and best of luck!

So you're actually thinking that you're gonna find an ES 345, in translucent brown, used, with no issues, ready to go??? What planet are you from man??? The older orange label (original orange label) ES 345s are to die for. You ain't finding one of those for under $6,000. The newer reissue 345s aren't so cheap either. Do yourself a favor. Buy the 535. Keep looking for the Gibson. If and when it turns up . . . dump the 535 and buy the Gibson. Who knows? Maybe buy the time something acceptable to you turns up, you'll be able to buy it without selling the 535 . . . .which will be a good thing to have happen to you . . . because after you've played the 535 for a while . . .you ain't gonna wanna sell it!!!! Now, stop torturing your self ... .and order a 535 to your own specs.

I own both a ES-335 and a ES-345 and have for many years. Both were made on Parson St. in Kalamazoo when Gibsons were quality instruments. I personally prefer the ES-335. That being said, they are both semi-retired and I play my Heritage 80% of the time. My advice? Play them both and buy the one your heart & soul tells in the right one for you. Trust your intuition.

I own both a ES-335 and a ES-345 and have for many years. Both were made on Parson St. in Kalamazoo when Gibsons were quality instruments. I personally prefer the ES-335. That being said, they are both semi-retired and I play my Heritage 80% of the time. My advice? Play them both and buy the one your heart & soul tells in the right one for you. Trust your intuition.

That there is some sage advice!:icon_thumright:

I was hoping to play them both, anyways....it's not always easy to find high-end Gibsons though.

My 'custom' 535 wouldn't be anything too wild...just a custom colour and inlays, really. Eventually I'd want fancy stuff like Triple Shot rings and a push-pull for phase inversion, but I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to have that from the get-go. Probably wouldn't be too much more than a normal, new 535 but you're still talking, what...2.5 grand?

I'm sure good sense will get a hold of me before I actually buy anything and I'll wait for the right used "brown-coloured" Heritage and be happy. Still, I do feel weak in the knees thinking about having a 'real' walnut ES-3xx guitar.

JJ, have a chat with High End Guitars near Nottingham or Jam Guitars near Bristol. They both usually have a few new 535s in - definitely some brown ones at High End just now.

JJ, have a chat with High End Guitars near Nottingham or Jam Guitars near Bristol. They both usually have a few new 535s in - definitely some brown ones at High End just now.

I got my 535 from High End Guitars (they're just up the road from me - Ha!) and Jason was very helpful. We talked about music, favourite players etc. for a long time and I ended up getting the right guitar for me (see the picture along side), which had HRWs and Tonepros hardware. I particularly like the way he has the guitars displayed. Oh, and don't look at the Santa Cruz acoustics unless you have strong willpower - they're very nice indeed!

Also to consider, the finish will be better on the Heritage, and a 345 includes the tone selector switch which in my experience (small, it is true to say) does not really benefit you. As one who wanted all the Gibson 335/345/355 I can tell you that purely on what you get for your money and build quality, I would have to go with Heritage. As my forum name suggests, I own a 555. the two pick ups and tone controls give me every thing I need. Goodluck with what ever you buy, but a 345 is going to cost you big time, and the chances are you might not get a particularly good one with recent Gibson production.

Yeah, but that means paying UK prices, and I'm no sucker!

I like to buy my guitars when I go back to the States to visit family.

I had a think over it today and got completely re-excited about my upcoming rendez-vous with my Heritage. I'll still likely sell it for a browner one....but then I'll be content (until mods). I know 535's are versatile stock but after experiencing split coils on my Fat Tele I can't imagine having a humbucker that I can't split....it's just so USEFUL!

Still...OSB sure is amazing, isn't it?

My dream is a 535 in OSB :) Very nearly had a swap deal going for an OSB 535 for my former 516 with a guy in the Derby area but the clock struck midnight and he turned into a pr*ck!

Well, I just looked on High End guitars....NONE of their brown 535s have pickguards...not one!

Very bizarre.

Still...OSB sure is amazing, isn't it?

The pickguards are available, but not attached, as (some) people prefer them without. I prefer to have a pickguard attached, particularly when it is dyed-black flamed maple instead of plastic!

The pickguards are available, but not attached, as (some) people prefer them without. I prefer to have a pickguard attached, particularly when it is dyed-black flamed maple instead of plastic!

Fair enough, some people prefer them without....but surely they can just take it off, right? It's a lot easier to take a pickguard off a 535 than it is to install one where none was intended. Just seems backwards to me.

Fair enough, some people prefer them without....but surely they can just take it off, right? It's a lot easier to take a pickguard off a 535 than it is to install one where none was intended. Just seems backwards to me.

Back in 2003 I bought a 2002 Les Paul Standard (new) and it came without the pickguard fitted. It just required the careful drilling of two small holes to fit it. I think the trend to dispensing with pickguards means that not fitting one, as Koula says, doesn't leave unsightly holes.

I guess I'm just weighing:

A) Very small hole in the body

B ) Not haing the choice of a pickguard

or

C) Having to nail-bitingly drill the hole yourself or PAY someone competent to do it for you

I dunno.....maybe I'm looking at it all wrong

I guess I'm just weighing:

A) Very small hole in the body

B ) Not haing the choice of a pickguard

or

C) Having to nail-bitingly drill the hole yourself or PAY someone competent to do it for you

I dunno.....maybe I'm looking at it all wrong

Your problem is that Heritage are not readily available to try over here in England, if you could go and play them in store, you would be able to make a decision quite easily.

Archived