Heritage Owners Club

Allen Accomplice Jr Vs Heritage Patriot

I've been looking for something in the "Fender clean" side, good headroom, touch sensitivity to go along with my Marshall and Peavey combos. There is an Allen Accomplice Jr for sale locally. 1x12 configuration. I spent about 45 minutes tonight playing around with it using my Milli2000. Nice amp. I was suprised that it got crunchy pretty fast with the Seth Lovers. Anything above about 3 or 4 with the guitar dimed was definitely pushing the front end. (I think fxdx99 has one... does that sound right to you?) The reverb is to die for. Lush, full. Lots of range with the tone controls. The Raw control can dial in the crunch as well, but it probably doesn't need it with humbuckers. Maybe more with the single coil.

For about the same money, I know where to find a Heritage Patriot. I think it's a 2x12, can't remember for sure, but I won't be able to check it out for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer. By then, it and the Allen may both be gone.

Any opinions on how these two compare? Does the Heritage a similar range to the Allen? Both say the cover the range from blackface to tweed.

I hate to pass on the Allen only to find that the Patriot isn't what I want... or buy the Allen and find out the the Patriot clobbers it.

UGH!

Nice dilemma to have!! I have nothing else to add, except to say I've heard excellent things about both amps. Best of luck, TalismanRich! Whatever you do, I wouldn't get rid of that Classic 30 or that Marshall I was diggin' last summer!

As I recall, the Patriot will have much more clean headroom, but no master volume. I've heard great things about both.

That's one of my hesitations about just going for the Patriot. The Allen could really get a range with the master volume. I don't usually crank things really loud so the master volume is a good thing to have.

I'm totally over the top biased in this post as my Acc Jr is my favorite and most versatile amp. It's very 'deluxe reverb' like, the master does allow it to saturate at lower volumes (nice feature for adjusting db level in varying rooms), the raw control giving it a variety of crunch/distortion options. I've seth's in my 535 and with master dimed and raw off, I don't think I really get into hitting the front end or power tubes until I get up to 5 or 6... certainly not at 3. It's really clean at 3 and I'd say even at 4. But get to 5/6 and it's in it's sweet spot of touch sensitivity, sustain, the 6V6s just singing.

Note, they take either 6v6 or 6L6 power tubes. I have and prefer 6v6 and have those in mine which put it at ~22W, the 6L6s will get to near 40W. The tube biasing feature on the back is a great handy feature.

I've never played nor even heard a Patriot, so can't comment on it. Being a 2x12, it'd be out of the running for me as low weight is a key for an amp I'll use (but certainly the extra speaker would fill out the sound more). The acc jr is ~40lbs making it very easy to move around. (for reference, I've a red/white/blue speaker in mine.)

Good luck with your decision - not sure you could go wrong with either one. Maybe Steve will weigh in on the Patriot as his 157 gig post had one in the pic.

Below - 535/seths/allen at HOC's fav jam spot - the BARN.

h535withallencrop.jpg

That's one of my hesitations about just going for the Patriot. The Allen could really get a range with the master volume. I don't usually crank things really loud so the master volume is a good thing to have.

assuming the Allen was built by David Allen, the build quality should be comparable to the Heritage (which will be impeccable). The Pat will be significantly bigger & heavier. it'll also probably have more control over the reverb and love pedals.

but i'm guessing with the master vol you'd be happier with the Allen. there's a local guy who plays out occasionally with one & he sounds exceptional.

B)

Archived