Heritage Owners Club

2x12 verses 1x12

zguitar71

I have played through 2x12 combos since 1987 when I bought a Fender Twin. I now play through a 2x12 Carr Slant 6V combo and I am thinking about getting another amp but now I am debating about 1 or 2 speakers. I really cannot say why I have always gone with 2x12's other than when I was 17 and bought the twin I though 2 was better than 1 and now at 40 I know that is foolish at times. So I am looking for the pros and cons of 2x12 verses 1x12 combos I guess. Less weight and smaller size are two big pluses for sure. What do you guys think?

That's a good question. I don't follow why two of the same speaker would sound a lot different than just one. It seems like it would just be louder. They're not far apart enough to be like two sources of sound.

Some amps have two different speakers, for instance some 'Divided by 13' amps will have two speakers, one a Celestion G12H and the other a Celestion Alnico Blue. That seems to make sense, each having it's own characteristics.

I don't have enough experience of a lot of different amps and configurations to know.

Less weight and smaller size are two big pluses for sure. What do you guys think?

Less weight is actually three big pluses, by itself; smaller size is, in itself, two big pluses, for a total of five.... Context really is everything in attempting to answer a question like this. Schlepping the amp all over creation in your Yugo? Have a sketchy back? What kind of music you doing...shredding paint off of walls at forty feet with your pointy guitar in your quest for tinnitus, or playing an archtop in a restaurant with a jazz trio? Have anything left to prove, or are you finally finished with all of that? Want 2x12, or need 2x12? That Carr is a fabulous amp! Want some perspective on all of this, check out Jim Campilongo, on Youtube. That's a Princeton...1x10!

Less weight is actually three big pluses, by itself; smaller size is, in itself, two big pluses, for a total of five.... Context really is everything in attempting to answer a question like this. Schlepping the amp all over creation in your Yugo? Have a sketchy back? What kind of music you doing...shredding paint off of walls at forty feet with your pointy guitar in your quest for tinnitus, or playing an archtop in a restaurant with a jazz trio? Have anything left to prove, or are you finally finished with all of that? Want 2x12, or need 2x12? That Carr is a fabulous amp! Want some perspective on all of this, check out Jim Campilongo, on Youtube. That's a Princeton...1x10!

Well I actually drive an `88 Toyota pick-up, the majority of which is dark blue in color. I have a 2x12 amp currently that is good for tinnitus and not to good for my sketchy back. The slant 6 weighs in at 65lbs. vs. the Rambler (the amp that intrest me) with a 1x12 at 40lbs. I think getting smaller and lighter is what I should and want to do. This also is making me wonder why I needed that 18 inch archtop too, 16 inches should be enough.

The Slant 6 with some road scarspost-3674-053326000 1297917713_thumb.jpg

What sort of music are you playing, what sound are you going for, where are you playing, how good is the PA?

For some a 212 doesnt make the grade.

Weight issues: I prefer a light 212 and a head to a 112 combo. I dont mind wheeling them out together on a trolley or making two trips with light loads as opposed to one heavier load. One of my 112 combos weighs 37kg my 212 cab weighs 20kg and the head 23kg. I have another head that weighs 30kg.

i like the sound of 212 cabs or combos. I gigged with a 112 combo for years when everyone else was using heads and 412s. Didnt realise what I was missing. Its not about volume for me I can run it at the same volume as a 112.

I have a back injury and wear a back brace when I gig and most work days as well. I chose the 212 and head as a way to reduce the weight I had to carry but still have a sound I like to use.

You are only 40! you should be still full of strength, vigor and obscene amounts of energy.(youve got 5yrs left of it btw) ^_^

If you are concerned with lack of bass tone, get a 1x15 combo. (hard to find unless you make one). But the point is really volume. You push less air which means less perceived volume. That's why a Fender Champ sounds awesome through a 4x12 cab even though its a 5w amp. It won't be as loud. I pushed my old Superchamp through a Mesa 2x12 and it sounded a little fuller, but that also might be because it was a 12" speaker instead of its internal 10" speaker. I was talking to my guitar tech the other day and he mentioned how he'd prefered an amp stack instead of a combo because he can put it on casters and move it around better. Combo's seem to be much heavier and typically are not on casters. However, I think the newer lunchbox amp heads are the way to go. Very light, packs some punch, and not sacrafice tone. I really like the Orange Tiny Terror for its tone, incrediable volume, and its tiny! The you can carry a much lighter 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet that is much lighter....

Mostly I am playing Blues or Blues based music for the higher volume stuff and for the low volume it is Jazz in dinner type settings, weddings, ect.. I do not need a big cabnet and the larger venues I play, like outdoor festivals, have a sound guy and everything has a mic so volume is not an issue. I prefer to have the lowest stage volume possible.

Giong with a head and a seperate speaker cab is an option, one that I have done before. I do have a very nice wood shop in my basement and an over abundance of wood right now. I have an early Fender Blues Deville with the 4x10 option and they are the Jensen blue backs not the later crapy ones. I built a box for the slant 6 turning it into a head only and removed the amp from the Fender and used the remaining as a speaker cabinet. I Played through the 10's for quite a while then put the Carr back together a couple of monts ago and realized how much I like the sound of 12's. I could experiment and build a 1x12 and try that out before I hit the buy button, probably the smart thing to do. One thing I did notice was how quiet the tubes are when they are not in a combo.

Hey Tully you are right I am still full of energy and vigor at 40, as I should be. I do have a bad back from 18 years as an Arborist for the day job, I destroyed my L5 about 7 years ago but manage quite well without it. I do not mind the weight of the slant 6 until 2:30 AM when I am loading the gear up and I am POOPED. I really should not complain, My gear will never be as heavy or a big as a bass player or drummer.

Well I actually drive an `88 Toyota pick-up, the majority of which is dark blue in color. I have a 2x12 amp currently that is good for tinnitus and not to good for my sketchy back. The slant 6 weighs in at 65lbs. vs. the Rambler (the amp that intrest me) with a 1x12 at 40lbs. I think getting smaller and lighter is what I should and want to do. This also is making me wonder why I needed that 18 inch archtop too, 16 inches should be enough.

The Slant 6 with some road scarspost-3674-053326000 1297917713_thumb.jpg

You boys are funny!!! :drunken_smilie:

I've been there with the paint peelers, 95lb'ers, the 65lb'ers, the 1x12 and 2x12 blah blah. My current rig is a 28w 1x12 combo that weighs a whopping .... 28lbs!! I can pick up the amp, a guitar and my pedalboard all at that same time, if so desired. I rarely, if ever, get told my rig lacks bottom end or top end sparkle. Oh yeah, got tinnitus, too. So I points my amp at my knees. It's almost like getting a leg massage! :icon_thumright:

If you are concerned with lack of bass tone, get a 1x15 combo. (hard to find unless you make one). But the point is really volume. You push less air which means less perceived volume. That's why a Fender Champ sounds awesome through a 4x12 cab even though its a 5w amp. It won't be as loud. I pushed my old Superchamp through a Mesa 2x12 and it sounded a little fuller, but that also might be because it was a 12" speaker instead of its internal 10" speaker. I was talking to my guitar tech the other day and he mentioned how he'd prefered an amp stack instead of a combo because he can put it on casters and move it around better. Combo's seem to be much heavier and typically are not on casters. However, I think the newer lunchbox amp heads are the way to go. Very light, packs some punch, and not sacrafice tone. I really like the Orange Tiny Terror for its tone, incrediable volume, and its tiny! The you can carry a much lighter 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet that is much lighter....

Detroit,

I was just looking at the Tiny Terror on You Tube last night and love the sound. At 15 watts, do you think there's enough power to carry small-to-medium sized clubs?

ZGuitar71: I test drove a Carr Rambler, and to my ears, it sounded even better than any of the Fender amps. It's light. The only thing, it doesn't break up- I dimed it and it stayed clean. Takes pedals very well, and it's light.

ZGuitar71: I test drove a Carr Rambler, and to my ears, it sounded even better than any of the Fender amps. It's light. The only thing, it doesn't break up- I dimed it and it stayed clean. Takes pedals very well, and it's light.

The head room is what I am looking for which is the reason I am interested in the Rambler, I can break the 6v up without much problem and I do not even have a distortion pedal I only use the amps dirty channel. I have; however, been looking into some pedals that make things nasty and the Rambler is the perfect amp for them. The tremolo is another enticing part of the amp.

Well I have made up my mind, I think it is time for a Carr Rambler 1x12 combo. I think less is more in this situation.

Now I have to sell a guitar or two, Anyone interested in a Heritage Super Eagle or a Santa Cruz prewar dreadnought (D/PW)?

My 2 cents..(well 1 and a half with inflation) A 1x12 is fine for me, because I mike it and let the PA give it the bigness, plus as a bonus it keeps the stage volume down, thus decreasing feedback.. If you have a decent PA, you shouldn't need a backbreaker of an amp..Peace out Scott..by the way Carr Amps are awesome..I'm jealous.. :icon_thumright:

Detroit,

I was just looking at the Tiny Terror on You Tube last night and love the sound. At 15 watts, do you think there's enough power to carry small-to-medium sized clubs?

Depends on what you are pushing. Most likely, you'll be mic'd up through a PA. I wouldn't hesitate to use one. Since is pure tube, its much louder than a hybrid or solid state combo. Plus since its a head cab, get a 2x12 or 4x12 and you'll have a killer amp that will cut through the mix. The band I recently departed had two guitars with the lead player using a Eganator Tweaker 15W combo. I tried that amp the same time I tried the Tiny Terror. Both through their own matching 1x12 cabs. I thought the Orange kicked its butt in both tone and volume. (I'm a blues player myself, so high gain is out and clean headroom is in)

Well I have made up my mind, I think it is time for a Carr Rambler 1x12 combo. I think less is more in this situation.

Now I have to sell a guitar or two, Anyone interested in a Heritage Super Eagle or a Santa Cruz prewar dreadnought (D/PW)?

But won't you'll remove yourself as a HOC member if you sell the Super Eagle? I'm trying to buy my first Heritage, but the Super Eagle is not my style...

"Talk to me Goose". . . . did you say Super Eagle???? I am interested. Please PM me with pictures.

Archived