Heritage Owners Club

Electronics Upgrade?

DetroitBlues

Right, f-hole clearance matters, I was actually referring to the pot shaft openings, but you probably wouldn't know. That is a great tutorial video that they post on there.

The "problem" on a 535 is that you can't even swap the p'ups with out pulling everything out, so it makes this issue relevant. I appreciate the info.

Thats the very thing that has kept me from swapping the pickups in any of my semi's. Too much trouble, and a greater possibility of damage. I'm bad enough at soldering, but thinking I'd have to maneuver thru the f-holes, too? Nope!

Thats the very thing that has kept me from swapping the pickups in any of my semi's. Too much trouble, and a greater possibility of damage. I'm bad enough at soldering, but thinking I'd have to maneuver thru the f-holes, too? Nope!

Not necessarily the only way - the pickup routes often have large enough openings to allow the harness through.

If the wire coming off a pickup is lets say braided, any reason you can't just cut it and patch in another one with a connector like making a patch cord?

I've seen this done and my former guitar tech, a well-respected former Gibson UK employee, suggested it for an LP I used to own when I wanted the option of swapping pickups at will.

I've seen some trick where as they use rubber band through the holes to pull up the pots in place. Plus H is right, with the pups pulled out, you can use the hole as a way to reach inside.

I use strings tied around the pots when I swapped pups on my 575... it wasn't too bad, but still mildly nerve wracking!

Archived