Heritage Owners Club

Electronics Upgrade?

DetroitBlues

So I've been looking at RS Guitarworks stuff. Looks interesting, but from what I can tell, its all stuff I may find cheaper elsewhere...

Here's what their kit includes:

(2) 500K RS Long-Shaft SuperPots®-custom taper

(2) 500K CTS Long-Shaft Audio taper pots.

(1) RS Paper and Oil GuitarCap® by Jensen .022. for the bridge position tone control of your guitar.

(1) RS .015 GuitarCap®- giving you that special "Woman Tone"

Is it just me or spending $110 for this a little crazy? Couldn't I just put all this together? And I thought I read somewhere that volume pots sound better using 300K audio taper pots?

What's the deal? Should I just leave my '85 alone or should I mess with it? Bear in mind, it has a headstock repair, so its not worth as much as many others from that golden era of Heritage.

Hi DB, have you had the back off to see what's in there already? I don't think Heritage uses (or used) rubbish in the control cavity. Send in a couple of pics if you're not sure what you're looking at in there and you'll get help from this forum without doubt.

Are you prepared to do some soldering yourself? If so, buy a few sets of a decent brand cap such as Sprague Orange Drops in the .22 to .45 range and try them out. Try out the vintage wiring layout if yours is currently wired 'modern'. These are a couple of cheap ways to change your guitar's tone and response.

RS Guitarworks have a great reputation, and for good reason, but you may have the basis of what you want already in there.

I just had my pick ups changed in my H555 and the Tech told me, Heritage uses quality electronics. The only change he made since he was in there anyway was changing to orange caps which was negligent cost wise since he was in there wiring up the new pups anyway.

FWIW, the Superpots are really nice. I have them for volume controls in all my Heritages. The sweep and action are very nice, and to me, they were worth the money. However, what I found was that they went a little scratchy after a couple weeks, so I shot in some Caig MCL and they have been working silently and perfectly since then. As to the PIO caps, you can find them on eBay pretty easily, the Russian surplus ones are very good, and the sound is, to me, worth it. The stock tone pots that Heritage uses are great, and you won't gain much by changing them out.

Does this help?

rooster.

From working on my amps I know electronic components can be really inexpensive. One company with a good online catalog is Mouser. That said I have also heard great things about RS.

Until a recent post I had not seen their latest pricing. RS has sales a few times a year and they can tell you what values pots and caps to use if you tell them what you want to change. Heritage has been using CTS pots since 2009. The long shaft stuff will fit not fit a 150. What don't you like about what you got?

I think Heritage uses the same CTS pots you'll get from RS Guitarworks. If only you knew a good amp builder, local that had some caps to try out you'd be able to save significant cash!

I have the RS with "Bumblebees" in the 150 LW and they did help. They were about $100 shipped. I've since gone to just replacing caps.

I have to make a couple changes regardless. I don't like the neck pu and the toggle switch doesn't work right. The middle position has full volume on the bridge, but maybe 20% volume of the neck. I'm replacing both the pup and the toggle switch. Since I was already in there, I'd thought I'd check with the good folks on the forum. My guitar is from 1985, so perhaps the quality of the components may not be the same as they have been in recent years. Does anyone have a guitar from the first few years of Heritage have any comments?

DB, it does have .022 PIO's in it now (old USA made Sprague's if I remember correctly)

I do have some orange drops, Sozo Mustard, and Mallory 150's I can lend if you want to swap them around and see what works best for you.

I don't recall what pot's were in it, but I also don't really remember having the drastic neck drop off either (maybe I left a cold solder joint that's since failed when I put the PIO's in??? - but that should also dull the neck when just in neck position as well)

Well anyways, just a few thoughts! Drop me a line if you want me to bring you some caps to play around with.

DB, it does have .022 PIO's in it now (old USA made Sprague's if I remember correctly)

I do have some orange drops, Sozo Mustard, and Mallory 150's I can lend if you want to swap them around and see what works best for you.

I don't recall what pot's were in it, but I also don't really remember having the drastic neck drop off either (maybe I left a cold solder joint that's since failed when I put the PIO's in??? - but that should also dull the neck when just in neck position as well)

Well anyways, just a few thoughts! Drop me a line if you want me to bring you some caps to play around with.

What's very odd is the neck works just fine as does the bridge when the controlled seperately. However, in the middle position, the bridge control/volume is 100%, but the neck is barely there...

So I've been looking at RS Guitarworks stuff. Looks interesting, but from what I can tell, its all stuff I may find cheaper elsewhere...

(1) RS Paper and Oil GuitarCap® by Jensen .022. for the bridge position tone control of your guitar.

Is it just me or spending $110 for this a little crazy? Couldn't I just put all this together? And I thought I read somewhere that volume pots sound better using 300K audio taper pots?

What's the deal? Should I just leave my '85 alone or should I mess with it? Bear in mind, it has a headstock repair, so its not worth as much as many others from that golden era of Heritage.

Dropped off a few guitars today at John Dajos' shop (Luthier). I noticed a particular '85 H140 on the wall that was just refinished to clear maple quilt top (from Cherry burst)...this thing is going to turn out NICE! John's worked on several of my guitars. I always enjoy shooting the breeze for awhile...we also talked about Brian's amps. Anyway, I'm looking forward to pics of the finished guitar!

Guest HRB853370

Small company in Eastern NC, check em out. My cherry 535 has the upgraded wiring kit, with pots, caps, switch and jack. Sounds wonderful.

http://www.mojotone.com/

Small company in Eastern NC, check em out. My cherry 535 has the upgraded wiring kit, with pots, caps, switch and jack. Sounds wonderful.

http://www.mojotone.com/

Upgraded from what? Do you know what you pulled out of there? Did you have to enlarge the openings? Was the length of jack wire supplied enough for the rim mount, as opposed to the traditional 335 top mount?

I ask because I intend to switch p'ups in my 535, and if an electronics upgrade is practical, I'll do it. My assumption was that a Heritage probably already had pretty high end electronics in a 2002 vintage guitar.

Dropped off a few guitars today at John Dajos' shop (Luthier). I noticed a particular '85 H140 on the wall that was just refinished to clear maple quilt top (from Cherry burst)...this thing is going to turn out NICE! John's worked on several of my guitars. I always enjoy shooting the breeze for awhile...we also talked about Brian's amps. Anyway, I'm looking forward to pics of the finished guitar!

Yep, that's my Heritage hanging up on the wall! I've talked about Brian's amps too! I have one of his amps as a loaner until he finishes mine...

Guest HRB853370

Upgraded from what? Do you know what you pulled out of there? Did you have to enlarge the openings? Was the length of jack wire supplied enough for the rim mount, as opposed to the traditional 335 top mount?

I ask because I intend to switch p'ups in my 535, and if an electronics upgrade is practical, I'll do it. My assumption was that a Heritage probably already had pretty high end electronics in a 2002 vintage guitar.

I bought the guitar from a fellow on TGP. He replaced the stock Heritage installed wiring with the Mojotone wiring, pots, etc. I asked him why. He told me the upgraded harness provides more balanced and crystal clear tone at low playing volumes. I would not know since I never had the guitar with the original wiring. The F holes were not enlarged, but he did slightly chip the finish on one of the holes, and he touched it up. I knew about it so I didn't freak about it too much. The rest of the guitar is pristine. And he also replaced the Schallers with 57 Classic pups which really sound great, to me. Call the folks at Mojo, they are really nice.

no need to upgrade in my opinion unless you're having problems with the existing setup.

With the neck pup and toggle switch issue, its time for some changes. Since the guitar is dismantled right now, I should just get all I need now so I won't have to worry too much about it.

What's very odd is the neck works just fine as does the bridge when the controlled seperately. However, in the middle position, the bridge control/volume is 100%, but the neck is barely there...

Possibly the switch its self, have you cleaned with contact cleaner or similar?

The F holes were not enlarged, but he did slightly chip the finish on one of the holes, and he touched it up. I knew about it so I didn't freak about it too much. The rest of the guitar is pristine. And he also replaced the Schallers with 57 Classic pups which really sound great, to me. Call the folks at Mojo, they are really nice.

Right, f-hole clearance matters, I was actually referring to the pot shaft openings, but you probably wouldn't know. That is a great tutorial video that they post on there.

The "problem" on a 535 is that you can't even swap the p'ups with out pulling everything out, so it makes this issue relevant. I appreciate the info.

Mojo tone stuff seems really cheap... Not low quality, just low price.

Mojo has good stuff, I use them for Grill Cloth, Tolex, Handles, etc...

Had good luck with their transformers as well (which are Mojotone branded Heyboers)

Mojo has good stuff, I use them for Grill Cloth, Tolex, Handles, etc...

Had good luck with their transformers as well (which are Mojotone branded Heyboers)

I don't know if everybody knows this or not, but Mojo completely builds the cabs and even installs the completed chassis and speakers for Michael Swart. I'd say that's quite an endorsement right there!

Archived