Heritage Owners Club

Pedals

There is a kid (not so much a kid anymore) named Davy Knowles. He has become a master at the half cocked wah pedal. You can download one of his songs on Gibson's website here, http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/FreeMusic/Default.aspx and do a search for Back Door Slam. The kid was only 20 when he got picked up by Peter Frampton for the bands second album.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bobby

Went to your facebook page and listened to the band. Real good! : ) That must be you with the gold top, could barely see pedals. Didn't see a sound clip but the vid had sound, was the sound through the vid camera or the H4?

Thanks for that! Yes, it is me with my 150 Special goldtop. The sound was from the H4 and the pictures were taken with a Fuji F30 compact camera that I brought along just in case! The photos were taken by the drummer's girlfriend who is actually a pro wedding photographer and she's more used to using a Nikon D700!. I used Windows Movie Maker to put in a bunch of the still photos and add the soundtrack, trying to match the photos to the music as far as possible! I reckoned it would be more interesting to have some photos of the gig rather than just the sound. The sound was recorded at CD quality, but I reduced it to mp3 to keep the file size down. I've re-attached a photo of my pedal board, which hopefully you'll be able to see this time.

post-1813-0-33713600-1301506075_thumb.jpg

There is a kid (not so much a kid anymore) named Davy Knowles. He has become a master at the half cocked wah pedal. You can download one of his songs on Gibson's website here, http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/FreeMusic/Default.aspx and do a search for Back Door Slam. The kid was only 20 when he got picked up by Peter Frampton for the bands second album.

I drove 500 miles one way last year to see this kid. He's pretty good.

Thanks for that! Yes, it is me with my 150 Special goldtop. The sound was from the H4 and the pictures were taken with a Fuji F30 compact camera that I brought along just in case! The photos were taken by the drummer's girlfriend who is actually a pro wedding photographer and she's more used to using a Nikon D700!. I used Windows Movie Maker to put in a bunch of the still photos and add the soundtrack, trying to match the photos to the music as far as possible! I reckoned it would be more interesting to have some photos of the gig rather than just the sound. The sound was recorded at CD quality, but I reduced it to mp3 to keep the file size down. I've re-attached a photo of my pedal board, which hopefully you'll be able to see this time.

Bobby,

Nice pedal board! First rate stuff! I like that you got all your pedals on a - looks like a Pedal Train Jr. Someday, I'd like to get a fulltone deja mini vibe. Thanks for loading the picture.

:icon_thumright:

I dig this!

Bobby,

Nice pedal board! First rate stuff! I like that you got all your pedals on a - looks like a Pedal Train Jr. Someday, I'd like to get a fulltone deja mini vibe. Thanks for loading the picture.

Yes, it's a Pedal Train Junior. I have the wah off the board 1) because it won't fit, 2) I encountered hum problems when the wah was near the power supply, despite it being a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. I think it was just because wah pedals use an inductor, and depending on the design they pick up hum to a greater or lesser extent. The problem was worse with the Cry Baby I used to use, and having spent some time at my local effects emporium (yet another plug for Hot Rox in Nottingham!) trying different wah pedals I ended up with the Ernie Ball, which seemed to be less prone to hum and had a nice switching action.

Yes, it's a Pedal Train Junior. I have the wah off the board 1) because it won't fit, 2) I encountered hum problems when the wah was near the power supply, despite it being a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. I think it was just because wah pedals use an inductor, and depending on the design they pick up hum to a greater or lesser extent. The problem was worse with the Cry Baby I used to use, and having spent some time at my local effects emporium (yet another plug for Hot Rox in Nottingham!) trying different wah pedals I ended up with the Ernie Ball, which seemed to be less prone to hum and had a nice switching action.

Bobby,

Thanks for the referral to Ernie Ball wah. I wanted a chi wah wah in the worst way, but have no idea if it'll hum. If it does, then I'll swap it for an Ernie B.

I was at a class he taught last year at the PRS EXperience. Very talented and very humble. You could tell he was in awe of certain performers, especially David Grissom

Wow, he held a clinic at PRS Experience? I know he was endorsed by them, but I had no idea he was teaching too. Man, I'd love to have met him and got a couple licks from him too. Its amazing how young he is but how experienced his chops and his voice are...

Guest HRB853370

While some of you more traditional folks out there might just be happy plugging you guitar straight into the amp, the rest of us rely on pedals to get that holy grail of tone we are looking for. So let's lay it all out there (we're talking pedals gents, don't let your minds wander!). So what is your "rig" setup? Pedals chain order/settings with what guitar and amp combination? What's the tone you looking for by doing this? I'm always looking for new ideas, so I'd like to hear what the rest of you have....

With my "clean" amps (Fenders and Gibsons) I use a Boss Blues Driver for some blues crunch when needed. I also like to use a Boss Compression/Sustain switch on occasion.

Archived