Heritage Owners Club

Guitar Strap Injury Warning

MartyGrass

I bought a new Jodi Head guitar strap and put it on my H150 Ultra. It bled some black dye into the finish by the end strap button.

The guitar was stored in a rack on its end, so some light pressure would have been placed on the strap. In a week or two I noticed the stain that was hidden under the strap.

The strap never got wet.

The sad thing is that it will not buff out.

I have used Jodi Head straps for years and currently have more than a dozen other guitars with her straps on them. No problems.

I thought I'd pass this along.

post-2472-0-36860700-1301021157_thumb.jpg

post-2472-0-35764800-1301021485_thumb.jpg

i've seen pics of (gibsons) guitars being stained by the lining of the case or the shroud, but i've never seen dye transfer from a strap before. that's terrible, i don't know if that will come off.

funny, i casually mentioned these in another thread, but maybe it could be of some use here.

couch guitar straps

durable as any i've ever used, and they look kinda neat, too. and they are all vinyl, so this sort of thing might not happen.

Has the manufacturing of these straps been recently outsourced to another supplier? It could be one explanation. Maybe they'll send you some money for the damage to your guitar.

I have emailed the company. I'm not asking for compensation. I want them to know and have asked what happened.

Thank you for mentioning this, I also have some Jodi Head straps (4 in fact) that I use on different guitars of mine...I as yet haven't had an issue, but this is very good to be aware of. I'm sorry to hear of your damaged finish, that is terrible! It makes me think of the few straps of hers i have in various cases with the guitars....so far its ok, but maybe I should relocate them???

I emailed Jodi Head last night and got this response this morning.

Hi Mark

Sorry to hear about the staining problem . The lower end straps I sell . Like the blue fold mary . Are made w synthetic materials the tail is leather only . Probably the binding . Which is dyed vinyl bleed.

The thing is leather could do the same thing . I feel terrible . I'm not exactly sure what would take the stain out with out destroying the finish . Its a gamble with materials . Leathers etc . Someone could have an allergic reaction to the materials not sure . I think this is the first time I have heard about the blue vinyl . Probably time to switch binding

Its just 8am . Didn't sleep well . Do you want another strap in the same price category . With another type binding

Let me know .

Jodi

Jodi,

I've used your straps for years without problem and prefer them to all

others. I want to alert you to a problem though.

Here's a link that provides the pictures.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12569-guitar-strap-injury-warning/

The strap that damaged my guitar was new in wrapper from Amazon.com.

It's a blue bordered Mary of Guadelupe.

I had my luthier try to sand and buff out the stain. But the black

mark is in the deepest level of the nitrocellulose and can't be

removed without requiring a restaining.

I'm not seeking any compensation. I thought you would want to know.

Is there anything I should do to protect my other guitars?

Your straps are beautiful and I have recommended them to guitarists on

public forums for several years.

Thanks.

Mark

man.. that sucks. This is one reason I like using straplocks on all my guitars: it keeps the strap away from the guitar, so it's pretty much impossible for contamination to occur. Of course, this isn't an issue for poly finished guitars, or acrylic lacquer guitars, which are pretty much non-reactive.

MG, I hate that. That happened to me with a white guitar and since then, I don't leave straps on them.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune dude, I too use strap locks on 535, but I store the strap right next to the guitar..no problems thankfully..

I suppose I should be outraged at those who make Jodi Head straps. I'm not.

She has been kind enough to discuss this with me. Leather is dyed and any dye can stain. Makes sense, of course.

You know what they say:

Boys-Spit-Happens-Hat-Lg.jpg

I hope my misfortune prevents yours!

thanks for letting us know. my only nitro guitars are acoustic, so i've never had to deal with this sort of thing. all my straps are vinyl, which have never caused an issue. i guess i'll use shoelaces when i get my heritage.

Guest HRB853370

Has the manufacturing of these straps been recently outsourced to another supplier? It could be one explanation. Maybe they'll send you some money for the damage to your guitar.

Probably China!!

Archived