Heritage Owners Club

Do Heritage finishes "age"?

zeittgeist

Heritage uses nitrocellulose finishes, so yes, they will 'age.' If you want to speed up the process, play only the coolest of cool jazz in the smokiest of smokin' hot after-hours jazz joints. :icon_thumright:

Oh Man, if only...

Guest HRB853370

My '97 Sweet 16 has a Natural finish, and I like the darker Antique Natural better. Is it possible mine will continue to darken over time?

All finishes age.

I have a 1968 blonde Gibson Byrdland that has a deep golden amber color to it now. She's "been around the block" a few times. I also have a 1999 blonde Heritage Sweet 16 that is still considerably lighter than the Byrdland. The Byrdland is 31 years older. I would expect that your guitar will get darker faster if you take it out to gigs and use it a lot. I do know that both of my guitars look much better if they are played a lot. Your guitar is not going to "age" quickly. It just takes time and probably exposure to stuff that's not really all that good for it. BBC Nut Brown Ale might help.

Heritage uses nitrocellulose finishes, so yes, they will 'age.' If you want to speed up the process, play only the coolest of cool jazz in the smokiest of smokin' hot after-hours jazz joints. :icon_thumright:

And make sure it gets plenty of second hand cigar smoke and the occasional splash of bourbon.

My 1987 H-535 show some small crack in the finish. I love it! Here is in Quebec, the weather is very dry in winter and very humid in summer, a real nightmare for acoustic guitar! Funny what it did on my 535, look likes the guitar is from the 60's !!

Archived