Heritage Owners Club

My "new" Roy Clark

zeittgeist

Was in San Francisco this past weekend, and my first ever visit to a Guitar Center. Bought a pristine, single rounded cutaway 2002 Roy Clark, in a wonderful Almond Burst. But this iteration had some unusual features, including no "Roy Clark" on the headstock. No inlays on the ebony fretboard at all, not even dots. Grover Imperials with the flanges made of the same white material as the truss rod cover. A three piece maple neck. And a 6 finger tailpiece.

Was there ever a production run of Roy Clarks like this, or was this a custom order by the original owner? I should have snapped a couple pics, but didn't think of it at the time. Evidently GC had just taken this in and can't release used guitars for 30 days, so they will be shipping this out to me at the end of the month.

Had never thought about a Roy Clark until I saw this one. Was initially attracted by it's appearance, but fell in love with how it's neck and fretboard fit my hand. Finally, couldn't believe what full, fat, warm, "jazz" tones she produced, (a little weird referring to a Roy Clark as a "she", no?), surprisingly similar to my Sweet 16s but with a touch more sustain, and a little thinner bass. The tone was probably helped by the Benson strings. Never played this before, and was very impressed.

No fretboard markers is a pretty good sign of a custom order. So, yeah, probably so. Good deal on snagging it! That is another model we rarely see. Brent had one for a while ....but, that's kinda like saying the sun shines. So, how do you know it's a Roy Clark? Marked on the sticker inside?

So, how do you know it's a Roy Clark? Marked on the sticker inside?

Exactly: "Roy Clark ALB".

I thought the lack of markers might mean custom. The only model where I have seen that consistently has been the Eagle Classic. I feel drawn to the clean looks of a no marker ebony fretboard.

I had one just like you described in a goldtop.

Many Roy Clarks have been made with his name left off the headstock. I know of four RCs in circulation and three don't have his name.

I think you will like this guitar.

I had one just like you described in a goldtop.

Many Roy Clarks have been made with his name left off the headstock. I know of four RCs in circulation and three don't have his name.

I think you will like this guitar.

Mark, did your gold top also have the 6 finger tailpiece? I have been looking for pictures, but every RC I see has a stop tailpiece. Wondering if this feature may have contributed to the hollow body tone I heard in the store?

Mark, did your gold top also have the 6 finger tailpiece? I have been looking for pictures, but every RC I see has a stop tailpiece. Wondering if this feature may have contributed to the hollow body tone I heard in the store?

Mine did not. I should have commented.

Does yours have the partial centerblock? Since there is no stop tailpiece, the top may have no centerblock. Now that would be a hoot!

pix?

I won't actually get the guitar until the end of the month. When I was in the City I should have taken a couple of pics, but didn't think of it then. So I just called the salesman who had helped me and asked him to email some photos.

I believe Guitar Center's policy is to not discount used guitars for 30 days. So maybe they discounted it to you but can't process the purchase until the 30 days are up.

BTW, you can thank Mitt Romney for Guitar Centers. He's one of the original investors. And you didn't think he rocks!

I believe Guitar Center's policy is to not discount used guitars for 30 days. So maybe they discounted it to you but can't process the purchase until the 30 days are up.

BTW, you can thank Mitt Romney for Guitar Centers. He's one of the original investors. And you didn't think he rocks!

They did give me a nice discount, but said that in order to maintain their "pawn" license, all used guitars had to be held 30 days while a police report was filed and checked against reported stolen instruments. Now, that would sure be a bummer, if it turned up on some hot sheet!

• 1 month later...

So, Zeittgeist,

Did you ever get the Roy Clark? Was it indeed a Roy?

GRMJazz

Maybe that's why they suck! (Just a joke)

How about this one?

106454486_lg.jpg

WTF? Those are Imperial pegs, an Eagle inlay, and a finger TP. I can't tell if there's a RC signature, but probably not. So this is not your standard RC.

I'll bet there's no center block at all, just reinforcement of the top.

Strange.

Seems like a lot of guitar for the price. Who has GAS in the bay area? Someone should check this one out. It's calling out to me from across the country but my inn is full.

Archived