Heritage Owners Club

Comparision Question

I've really been thinking about amps with Master Volumes. I know there are many HOC members out there that have compared many amps out there. I'm trying to find a low wattage tube amp that fits my Master Volume/Overdrive tastes. So let's set the criteria at 20watts or less, all tube, and with a master volume. Built in effects are an added bonus, but not necessary. What are your thoughts?

My Super Tweed 5F4 came with a Master Vol. Not sure why, since it wasn't part of the original design. We took it out and it really opened up the amp. My Mesa LSC has a defeat-able MV. I leave it off. The mid-70s Fender Silverfaces with the MVs are/were considered less desirable than the non-MVs. However, Dr. Z claims his MV models have no effect on the overall tone. :dontknow: Of the amps I've had with MVs I always seemed to be messing with them trying to find the correct settings. I'm convinced they do not allow you just play at lower volumes, and have some dampening effect on tone. I like a single Vol, TMB eq and maybe Presence. Then again, I used to be firmly in the dual channel, built-in OD amps, too. And now I prefer single channel amps. It's all just part of the journey. :icon_thumright:

In my opinion, for MV to be useful (as in not just make the amp a little quieter), the amp really needs to be have a high gain preamp section... even then though, I've found a lot of master volumes still have to choke off to much from the power section by the time you try to get it down to "bedroom" levels (and the tone suffers greatly).

It seems to me that if you want to stay all tube and still get some great tube OD at low volume levels, you might want to look at some of the 1-2 watt designs out there.

I've really been thinking about amps with Master Volumes. I know there are many HOC members out there that have compared many amps out there. I'm trying to find a low wattage tube amp that fits my Master Volume/Overdrive tastes. So let's set the criteria at 20watts or less, all tube, and with a master volume. Built in effects are an added bonus, but not necessary. What are your thoughts?

Built in effects generally not a bonus unless its a nice tube driven reverb or trem. Just my opinion.

What sort of price range are you looking at?

The post phase-splitter style is a good master (in old Vox's and copies thereof), in a different class really, than the volume pot that follows the preamp (found in lots of old big name amps). The latter is where MV gets a bad rap. The post phase-splitter MV might even best a mediocre power-scaling circuit. It's an easy mod, especially in cathode biased power sections. One side-note is that with reduced volume, the speaker responds differently and the room does too, so the overall result includes plain old acoustic effects, not all the fault of the MV circuit.

Hmmm... you have the kbpDR. Think a good pedal in front of it will do as well as an MV amp. Something like a Fulltone OCD, or maybe something from Wampler?

Depends on what kind of overdrive/gain you're looking for (me thinks). Even 5W is loud for home use when cranked.

Might check out the Rivera pubster/clubster models. Both are 2 x 6v6, Pubster has a switchable gain circuit (and master volume); clubster is true two channel amp with master volume. Both have decent, Fenderish reverb.

I have a little Pubster 1 x 10 that is small and not heavy (wouldn't call it light) enough to walk to rehearsal with amp in one hand, guitar in the other, bag for cables etc. over shoulder. The Pubster is not the cleanest amp, so I picked up a Clubster 1x12, but it is just enough bigger and heavier that I honestly haven't used it much --I use the Pubster nearly every day --far more than any other amp I own. The fact that the Pubster has a hint of grit even at medium volume means it wouldn't be my first choice for a jazz gig in a big room, but most of the time it is welcome.

I picked up both these amps used on ebay for $500 - $600. For that money, they are great little workhorses. I work a lot with students who play the Voxes and other little solid state amps with all the built in effects --and constantly struggle with them about appropriate volume and tone within an ensemble. The Rivera is no bigger than the little modeling amps, not as pretentious as my bluetic amps, but it lets me "model" a (mostly) clean guitar tone for my students that really sounds surprisingly good.

In my opinion, for MV to be useful (as in not just make the amp a little quieter), the amp really needs to be have a high gain preamp section... even then though, I've found a lot of master volumes still have to choke off to much from the power section by the time you try to get it down to "bedroom" levels (and the tone suffers greatly).

It seems to me that if you want to stay all tube and still get some great tube OD at low volume levels, you might want to look at some of the 1-2 watt designs out there.

bedroom level is 5 soundcity2007.jpg

I play loud...

Archived