Heritage Owners Club

Fender Blues Jr and Cannabis Rex

Well, I received my new "Brown Wheat" Blues Jr. a few days ago along with a Cannabis Rex speaker which I had ordered from a different company. Played the amp for a while right out of the box, using my H575, and then switched speakers to the Cannabis Rex. After installation of the CR I got a LOT of feedback, even at fairly low volumes. I am using the amp at home in a fairly small room. So, I switched back to the stock speaker that came with the amp and feedback is gone. Anyone had any similiar experiences with this combination of amp, speaker and H575? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I definitely like the tone of the CR but the feedback was just way too much.

I've had to battle feedback with my 575 in general but haven't pinned it down to different speakers or amps for tha matter. Can a speaker have it's own feedback characteristics?

Well, I received my new "Brown Wheat" Blues Jr. a few days ago along with a Cannabis Rex speaker which I had ordered from a different company. Played the amp for a while right out of the box, using my H575, and then switched speakers to the Cannabis Rex. After installation of the CR I got a LOT of feedback, even at fairly low volumes. I am using the amp at home in a fairly small room. So, I switched back to the stock speaker that came with the amp and feedback is gone. Anyone had any similiar experiences with this combination of amp, speaker and H575? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I definitely like the tone of the CR but the feedback was just way too much.

I have a 575 and a Blues Jnr with a stock Jensen speaker, no feedback issues to speak of. Have you tried any other guitar with the CR speaker ?

That's a good suggestion. Ill try it.

I have a 575 and a Blues Jnr with a stock Jensen speaker, no feedback issues to speak of. Have you tried any other guitar with the CR speaker ?

That does seem really odd for a different speaker to cause different levels of feedback

Are you sure that during the tests that perhaps the guitar was facing the amp in one test and not facing the amp in the other? That could make a very noticable difference in the amount of feedback.

This might be completely unrelated but are the CR and the other speaker in the same phase when connected up to your amp? I've been reading the Ted Weber books recently and he makes a big thing of this. If you connect the speaker terminals to a 9v battery quickly, you'll see the cone move either in or out. Do the CR and the other speaker move the same way?

I'm not certain this could cause your problem but it flashed up in my mind when I read your post.

I've never heard of this either, but don't speakers have a resonant peak frequency ... sort of a sweet spot? (There are definitely folks on board who know more about this than I do.) If that freq. happened to correspond with the natural resonant freq. of a particular guitar (and I've definitely owned guitars that tended to feed back on a particular note in a particular octave --so, at a particular freq.), it would seem you would have the recipe for something like cwthompson describes --a speaker that would have a particular tendency to make a particular guitar feed back ... or, am I missing something?

Haha. No I don't have another amp that uses a 12" speaker. But as soon as I get time I'm going to switch speakers again and try my solid body Hofner and see what happens. Has any one here upgraded their speaker in a Blues Jr. and if so what did you put in it?

"Pot" and "Wheat" don't mix. You end up with a nasty Gluten sensitivity and the munchies. :laugh_mini: Sorry. Do you have another amp you can try the Cannibis Rex in, same ohms, etc?

Haha. No I don't have another amp that uses a 12" speaker. But as soon as I get time I'm going to switch speakers again and try my solid body Hofner and see what happens. Has any one here upgraded their speaker in a Blues Jr. and if so what did you put in it?

I used an Eminence Texas Heat, and really like it. However, BillM says either a Texas Heat or a Cannibis Rex are both good choices, so I don't think you are off base in your selection.

CW, my main amp for quite awhile was a tweed BJ with Billm mods. I put a cannabis rex speaker in it and compared it with both the original speaker and also an unmodified BJ with a stock speaker. I played my 535, my 150, my LP, and several others and never had any feed back with any of them. I wasn't playing loudly at the time which would of course make a difference, but it wasn't bedroom quiet either. A reasonable person would have considered earplugs sort of loud.

But I really think you are right to try the test again. Be very careful to hold all the other variables constant such that the speaker is the only variable that changes. I'll be interested to see if their is some strange effect as mentioned above that is present. Looking forward to hearing about the results.

I have a C-Rex in my BJ and like it. If you like the tone also, get a set of Doug's Plugs for the F-holes of your guitar and your feedback problem will be solved at any volume. these things are great. I have a set on my ES295 as well as my jazz box and am very happy, with the elimination of feedback and no change to tone.

Archived