Heritage Owners Club

Redplate Blues Machine

I recorded my new Redplate Blues Machine in an attempt to demo it for you guys. I didn't play with most of the controls, just concentrated on the black face, brown face, and tweed selector and then kicked in the drive on tweed. (also the boost one time). I am using a very moderate amount of gain, just enough to fill out the sound. When I listen back, it seems like the differences are mostly in volume, but in person the differences are more apparent. I don't know enough to know if the sounds produced are truly accurate black, brown, and tweed, but they seem ok to me. I do really like the overall sound of the amp however. I'm using my strat on these recordings since i pretty much plan on using this combo for single coil playing. I still plan on using my Carr Rambler with my Heritages as they go together so well.

On revernation you will see them as the top two selections. They are labled:

Don,

that was an interesting comparison between Black, Brown and Tweed face fender sounds, and I've always wondered what the differences were in tone. From what I hear, I'd say the Black Face had the most clarity, the brown face was a little bit fatter, and the tweed was the fattest sound. Nothing bad, just different sounds for you to pick from. Nice that you have all 3 in one amp. So this brings up an interesting question for me: Do you guys buy amps to fit the guitar? I heard you say you bought the Red Plate to play your strat through. It does seem, to me, that the fender-type amps fatten up the sound of strats.

Don,

that was an interesting comparison between Black, Brown and Tweed face fender sounds, and I've always wondered what the differences were in tone. From what I hear, I'd say the Black Face had the most clarity, the brown face was a little bit fatter, and the tweed was the fattest sound. Nothing bad, just different sounds for you to pick from. Nice that you have all 3 in one amp. So this brings up an interesting question for me: Do you guys buy amps to fit the guitar? I heard you say you bought the Red Plate to play your strat through. It does seem, to me, that the fender-type amps fatten up the sound of strats.

Hey Katy, it's probably just my lack of hearing, but I hear more full rounded tones and harmonics on the Carr Rambler, and more compressed compact tones on the Redplate. The Carr is sweet, and the Replate is tart to me. YMMV.

Nice demos, Don. Like how you use the same lick or rhythm so the change in amp setting can be more easily heard. Tasty playing, too - you really took 40 years off of guitar?! Wow, must be like riding a bike :)

I've been interested in those amps since seeing Elvin Bishop a few years ago - he got some great fat sounds out of his with his 'ol semi. Your strat really sounds good thru yours.

And heh - you're number one on the blues charts for Eureka - Eureka!

Nice demos, Don. Like how you use the same lick or rhythm so the change in amp setting can be more easily heard. Tasty playing, too - you really took 40 years off of guitar?! Wow, must be like riding a bike :)

I've been interested in those amps since seeing Elvin Bishop a few years ago - he got some great fat sounds out of his with his 'ol semi. Your strat really sounds good thru yours.

And heh - you're number one on the blues charts for Eureka - Eureka!

Hey Randy, I recorded a single lick on my looper and then unplugged the guitar and played the looper straight into the amp. That is same method I use to compare different settings on an amp. That way you can walk back aways and see what it sounds like at "listening" distances. By the way, I later found a much nicer full sound by switching to the bridge pickup on my strat and changing the presence to about 9 o"clock.

I put my guitar away in 1970 when I left the band I was with and went to school at KU. I picked it up maybe once a year until I finally sold it. I did play bass with a couple of my brothers dixieland/big band combos over the years. He was a music teacher and good trumpet player. I picked the guitar up again when I retired 5 years ago thanks to my wife's urging (she knows me better than I know myself). I've got a fellow lined up in Kalispell (60 miles south of us) for lessons this summer - whooppeeee!!!!!

LOL, it's tough to be #1 in Eureka, as you can imagine!!!

That sounds like a real well rounded amp! Accompanied by a well rounded player. It sounds like certain modes accentuate various parts of the frequency band. All have a nice, warm spectrum associated with them. Your playing is spot-on for showing the difference between settings. Nice job! :music_mini2:

I recorded my new Redplate Blues Machine in an attempt to demo it for you guys. I didn't play with most of the controls, just concentrated on the black face, brown face, and tweed selector and then kicked in the drive on tweed. (also the boost one time). I am using a very moderate amount of gain, just enough to fill out the sound. When I listen back, it seems like the differences are mostly in volume, but in person the differences are more apparent. I don't know enough to know if the sounds produced are truly accurate black, brown, and tweed, but they seem ok to me. I do really like the overall sound of the amp however. I'm using my strat on these recordings since i pretty much plan on using this combo for single coil playing. I still plan on using my Carr Rambler with my Heritages as they go together so well.

On revernation you will see them as the top two selections. They are labled:

It never occured to me to designate a particuliar amp for a specific guitar (with exception to an A/E and an A/E amp). I usually get an amp and figure out how to make it work for all my guitars....

It never occured to me to designate a particuliar amp for a specific guitar (with exception to an A/E and an A/E amp). I usually get an amp and figure out how to make it work for all my guitars....

Yeah, me too! In general, RedPlate amps are one of the most versatile amps out there. I owned a Magic Dust Duo for a while, and I was able to dial it in for any guitar and any room. Problem was, it was almost a little too versatile for me, for I wasn't really able to lock into a tone that felt right to me. All in all, though, they're great amps!

Yeah, me too! In general, RedPlate amps are one of the most versatile amps out there. I owned a Magic Dust Duo for a while, and I was able to dial it in for any guitar and any room. Problem was, it was almost a little too versatile for me, for I wasn't really able to lock into a tone that felt right to me. All in all, though, they're great amps!

I wish I could of kept my valveking. I could do the same thing. I could dial that thing in every time. I loved it. But I had a choice. Either the Valveking or the KBP810.

Archived