Heritage Owners Club

I don't like HRWs

LH575

I just don't dig them.  I have them in my 555, and I just don't play it all that often because of them.  They are just too much.  Too dynamic, if that makes any sense.

They have great highs, great lows, but at the same time, too much of each for me.

I know most here dig them.

:afro:

Afro-smiley-man is the shit.

I think he played "Link" on the "Mod Squad."  Let's Roll! 

Fellas,

At some point, I will take them out.  Not gonna sell 'em though.  I'm going to take them out back and shoot 'em! :afro:

Damn, I dig the afro-man.  :)

Seriously though.  I really like the Seth Lovers in my 157.  Has anyone compared a Seth and a HRW in a 555/535?

I really think, at this point, we need more afro-man.

Guitartman or GitFiddler or one of the regulars has a "favorite solid-body pickup" and I'm thinking it was Seth Lovers.  Maybe one of them will chime in here.  I like the HRWs in the Milly DC, and I have another pair that I bought in the early days of the HOC that I have yet to install in the H137D.  But, I think it's OK to not like HRWs.  Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Fellas,

At some point, I will take them out.  Not gonna sell 'em though.  I'm going to take them out back and shoot 'em! :afro:

Damn, I dig the afro-man.  :)

Seriously though.  I really like the Seth Lovers in my 157.  Has anyone compared a Seth and a HRW in a 555/535?

I really think, at this point, we need more afro-man.

A few years back I had my origianl 535 with Seth Lovers, another 535 with HRWs and a Gword CS-336 with '57 classics.  I liked them in this order:  Seth Lovers, HRWs, '57 classics.  I agree, the HRWs are just too much, they're almost HiFi sounding (more lows and highs than a stock bucker) and overdrive the amp too easily.  I know other local players who felt/feel the same.  I suppose for some they work out great, and they are a good pickup to be sure, just not what I was looking for.  The Seth Lovers on the other hand just frickin' kill in a semi-hollowbody imho. 

I just don't dig them.  I have them in my 555, and I just don't play it all that often because of them.  They are just too much.  Too dynamic, if that makes any sense.

They have great highs, great lows, but at the same time, too much of each for me.

I know most here dig them.

I agree and I am replacing them in my 157 with a sh-2 jazz in the neck and a sh-1 in the bridge.

I too, feel the HRW is not the right fit for the H535.  GuitarArtman is correct.  They overdrive very easily, and some players like this characteristic.    As a result, I am not playing my 535 as often and am getting more tonal satisfaction from my Gibson CS-336 with the 57' Classics.  I am hesitant to change the HRW pickups.  The guitar is completely original, mint condition and a 2001 NAMM Show special.  Will keep you posted if I put her up for sale.

I had an H157 that came stock with the SD '59s. While it sounded OK, I thought it could be better. I had the HRWs installed, and it sounded soooooooo much better!

I currently have an H150 with the SD Seth Lovers--awesome tone as well; though I prefer the HRWs slightly over the Seth Lovers.

Perhaps the HRW pickups are sonically more suitable for a solid body instrument rather than a semi-hollow instrument.... especially for music requiring more OD and distortion. 

Most of the gushing reviews about HRW's on the Heritage website came from archtop users.  Based on that, I got the impression that they were best suited, or at least directed at enhancing the natural tones of hollow bodied guitars.  However, since playing an H555, H150 and H157 all loaded with HRW's, they really appeal to me.  But hey, I'm just another tone junkie in search of the holy grail.  Heritage has done a great job with these p'ups in my opinion.  8)

http://www.heritageguitar.com/Custom%20Fea.../HRW-pickup.htm

I've got HRW's on my Millennium DC and I like the sound.  I've got SD 59's, Seths, and Gibson 57 classics in other guitars, and they all sound nice as well.  I find that it comes down to getting the right pickup height and balance, and then adjusting how much gain you are sending to the input of the amp.  For those who plug straight in, that last step is a little harder to control.  But for those of us with pedalboards, you can make a real difference in the sound by adjusting the hotness of the signal that the amp's preamp sees.

So what does one do?  Replace and alter the stock guitar, then play it more - or keep it stock and not play it as often.

The answer is obvious - we buy to play, but your thoughts?.....

Here's a little afro man..

So what does one do?  Replace and alter the stock guitar, then play it more - or keep it stock and not play it as often.

I've gone through so many pickup swaps I can't even begin to count and I don't want to try.  Did I answer your question?  :wink:

Rodden Ford says try on trying, thats what I will do

I can't figure out how these HRWs are good in jazz boxes if they tend to overdrive the amp....

Do they have some sort of Jekyll and Hyde thing going on above a certain volume level?  >:D

I have them in a Millennium Standard Ultra and they are certainly hotter than Duncan '59s but they are also clearer and have a brighter tone.

I find that for fingerstyle and fast legato runs the notes are more defined and the HRWs seem to pickup, pardon the pun, the note passages more clearly than the '59s.

They also seem to amplify the instruments tone without adding a particular "flavour" or signature to the mix.

This might be why some players, myself included, think they sound a bit "hi-fi" like when going for classic rock tones.

For that, in my opinion, the Duncan '59s do have the edge.

Regards ...

Archived