Heritage Owners Club

made to order - CHina

cod65

y'all been noticing this phenomenon :

http://tinyurl.com/4zfb5r

'ordered a guitar made in China'  ..... how can this be legal  ?  it clearly says Fender on it , tho the auction guy makes sure to say it is not ... at some point it will be hard for the layman to tell the diff.

Being a lefty also I'm sure you know that Fender US does not make a lefty Tele with a rosewood fingerboard, same for Fender Mexico.

Sales of lefty Fender Japan guitars are now banned by Fender US in the US and in Europe.

I'm sure the manufacturer of this fake fender knows this and is cashing in on an available market.

I priced a Fender left handed custom shop rosewood Tele, similar to the one George Harrison used, a few weeks ago and the price was $3999,

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1810167

this fake is $299.

I  don't condone what this manufacturer or seller is doing but leftys are so starved of decent gear at an affordable price I'm sure that someone will buy it.

ya, I'm actually gonna 'roll my own ' I think.  I got a Fender Villager neck and I'm thinking of it being reversed on a lefty tele body, as a 12 string .

As far as the China link goes, I am curious as to what kind of quality this rig is .... I suspect the wood is garbage ... I remember when I got the Jay Turser bug , becaue Iwas so exited that there was ann es335 copy lefty hanging in the shop. The build, action wasn't that bad , really. But the wood is just lifeless, like hardened balsa or something.

Words like 'mahogany' don't really mean what tthey used to.    A bamboo composite might be interesting  :)

I bought a China tele copy the other day. It was a company called Indiana Guitar Co. The wood does feel escpecially light but really all thing considered its not half bad. It sounds and plays like a guitar so for $100 it really was a bit of a suprise. that being said, it felt a little toyish. My guess is this guitar will play similar to the used China tele copy that I bought last week and probably rolled off the same assembly line. Not a pro axe but good enough to jam with .

I was at a guitar show yesterday and there were several Chinese copies of Fenders and Gibsons.  A couple of the vendors were trying to get big bucks for the copies.  It really isn't hard to tell if you get your hands on them.  That being said, I have a couple guitars that are Chinese made and they are actually very good guitars, wood and workmanship.  The area that they are inferior in my opinion is the electronics.  Replace the switches and pots and you have a decent giggable guitar.  The guitars I have are not illegal copies but sold as chinese copies.  They are fun to work on and don't cost very much.  My main guitar is still my 140CM Custom and probably always will be.

I was at a guitar show yesterday and there were several Chinese copies of Fenders and Gibsons.  A couple of the vendors were trying to get big bucks for the copies.  It really isn't hard to tell if you get your hands on them.  That being said, I have a couple guitars that are Chinese made and they are actually very good guitars, wood and workmanship.  The area that they are inferior in my opinion is the electronics.  Replace the switches and pots and you have a decent giggable guitar.  The guitars I have are not illegal copies but sold as chinese copies.  They are fun to work on and don't cost very much.  My main guitar is still my 140CM Custom and probably always will be.

Just my personal view, but I refuse to buy Chinese musical instruments...copies or originals...period.

I agree... although I have purchased Chinese guitars in the past, I will no longer. I was looking at buying a Crate V18-112

but when I found out it was made in China I passed. As a matter of fact, I've got an SX guitar I'm going to strip all of the hardware off of and throw it in the river behind my house.

I agree... although I have purchased Chinese guitars in the past, I will no longer. I was looking at buying a Crate V18-112

but when I found out it was made in China I passed. As a matter of fact, I've got an SX guitar I'm going to strip all of the hardware off of and throw it in the river behind my house.

you might poison drinking water downstream !

you might poison drinking water downstream !

You might think so... but this is New Jersey. Last week I saw an oil tank float by. Had to be a 300 gallon size tank. I take boat rides upstream to collect 55 gal. bags full of garbage. For all I do to keep the river clean, I thought I'd treat myself and hurl a guitar in and watch it go over the falls.

Check out this web site:

Beijing Zhen Musical Instrument Co., Ltd.

LP

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/bobo...ard-Guitar.html

Strat

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/bobo...SRV-Guitar.html

comes in a "beautiful box"

huh ....  every single guitar 'sounds absolutely marvelous'-    sounds boring  to me :)

I bought my china guitar b/c I just wanted something I could rip apart and build back together again and not worry about damaging it. And like it or not, I don't think you can live in america today without using something made in China. Its a fact of life. The Monitor you are reading this on ? made in China. The Keyboard you will type your reply with? Made in China. the computer and router and switch and probably the cable and fiber the message traveled over? Made in China. I dig what you are saying though. There are comodity items that are fine to be made in China. But for something like a guitar, you want to know some 12 year old boy didn't lose his soul cranking out your axe. I feel the same way but in the modern world its going to be hard to avoid Chinese products in general.

I bought my china guitar b/c I just wanted something I could rip apart and build back together again and not worry about damaging it. And like it or not, I don't think you can live in america today without using something made in China. Its a fact of life. The Monitor you are reading this on ? made in China. The Keyboard you will type your reply with? Made in China. the computer and router and switch and probably the cable and fiber the message traveled over? Made in China. I dig what you are saying though. There are comodity items that are fine to be made in China. But for something like a guitar, you want to know some 12 year old boy didn't lose his soul cranking out your axe. I feel the same way but in the modern world its going to be hard to avoid Chinese products in general.
If a product is manufactured in China and the United States I'll buy from the latter. I realize in a lot of instances Chinese

products cannot be avoided.

y'all been noticing this phenomenon :

http://tinyurl.com/4zfb5r

'ordered a guitar made in China'  ..... how can this be legal  ?  it clearly says Fender on it , tho the auction guy makes sure to say it is not ... at some point it will be hard for the layman to tell the diff.

Its not legal... its a Federal crime to own or sell these "knock-off" guitars. Its called counterfeiting. If anyone cared to, they could contact Fender and they could file suit against "leftyloser" for owning/selling that guitar. Gibson is very aggressive in their persuit of counterfeiters.

Well put. The sad fact is, America has sold out to China and other countries, we depend on them, and if they cut out selling us their products, we would be hurting. Ironically, this thread started with the discussion of a left handed Tele copy manufactured by a culture that still doesn't recognize left handedness. (Im a lefy but play right handed, always been mixed up).

An interesting aspect to this is that it can actually help Fender/Gibbon....

The cheap/knock off versions are not bought by the same people who buy a "real" Fender/Gibbon. but by "kids" who want a real one but can't afford it.

As they get older, with (hopefully) more disposable income, then they can afford the genuine item having lusted after one and having to put up with their cheap version.

What the copies do is increase the GAS for those particular brands...

Just an opinion of course... Not an endorsement... :police:

Where do you all think the money is coming from for our "Economic Stimulus Checks?"  Uncle Sam is borrowing it from China!

A BIG mistake, IMHO.

The money is an early refund of our 2008 "overpayment". Wait till 2009 and after the election when USA taxpayers fill out their returns and discover congress was playing three card Monti.

Well put. The sad fact is, America has sold out to China and other countries, we depend on them, and if they cut out selling us their products, we would be hurting. Ironically, this thread started with the discussion of a left handed Tele copy manufactured by a culture that still doesn't recognize left handedness. (Im a lefy but play right handed, always been mixed up).

Kazwell,

I agree 100%. And on the flipside, if America stops buying China is going to have some issues. The are stuck too. China and Germany have a lot of money sunk into America trying to keep the American consumer doing what they do better than anyone else in the world... consuming. If we go belly up its going to be ugly.

BTW, I am a lefty who plays righty as well!  I find that I get good expresiveness in my playing but I will never be able to pick cleanly so I will always be more of a rythm player.

BTW, I am a lefty who plays righty as well!  I find that I get good expresiveness in my playing but I will never be able to pick cleanly so I will always be more of a rythm player.

Interesting. I find that my picking is quite accurate. However, my rhythm is my weakest skill. Especially while singing. I couldn't play guitar left handed if you paid me. You know it's a fact that although righties are almost exclusively right handed, lefties for the most part seem to be able to do some things exculsively left handed, and other things exclusively right handed. I always found it strange that on the keyboard the left hand is the rhythm hand and the right hand is lead. That is an instrument I will never learn to play well. 

I'm right handed but can play left handed.  I grew up with 2 left handed brothers and sometimes just to be able to play I had to be able to adapt to left handed equipment.

wow, that is the first (and probably last) time I've ever heard somebody surrounded with lefty guitars instead of right. I play lefty with the strings either way- people ask me how I can do this - I tell them it's because I was alays surrounded by righty guitars, so if I picked one up at a freind's house, it would always be strung righty and I would play it upside down....

Archived