Heritage Owners Club

My dream amp project....

I'd REALLY like to build an amp that utilized a salvaged pre-war (1930's) Philco Cathedral type tube radio (I am a sucker for it's looks) for a chassis. A radio whose guts bought the farm and is only a decent corpse.

For the guts, I'd like to have a Fender type with a 8" at smallest but even a 10" or 12" speaker if possible. Mo bigga mo betta. haha. The Fender type of sound I am looking for is sort of like a Blackface with the gain up a bit.

Sort of like this sound wise: Clinky da linky.

Ideally, I'd also like to put in a reverb tank and IF possible, wire in a slapback AND... maybe a Trem. I know that is a lot... but I guess to start with... just the amp would work. Maybe work in a build with the other stuff later.

Anyways, anyone know what kit I should go for? Maybe a schematic and a list of parts?

For fun, I want to replace the round tuning dial with VU meter if I can manage it. haha.

Thanks!

Dude, that is a brilliant idea! :occasion14:

I now have an answer for when my wife asks me "What are you going to do whith that thing?"

I now have a winter project lined up.

Picture of "that thing" attached. (cell phone picture, looks much nicer in person)

It's a Motorola, I'm not sure what year. It won't be very portable.

post-4456-0-13339800-1309120907_thumb.jpg

Dude, that is a brilliant idea! :occasion14:

I now have an answer for when my wife asks me "What are you going to do whith that thing?"

I now have a winter project lined up.

Picture of "that thing" attached. (cell phone picture, looks much nicer in person)

It's a Motorola, I'm not sure what year. It won't be very portable.

:o

That'd be awesome!

I'd be a-loading that with two 12's!

I thought about doing the same thing with a much less portable radio cabinet later but wanted something more practical for now.

The other thing I plan to do if I can find one that has some NICE grain in it is to make it sort of a match for the guitar in my avatar. :)

I really like what your thinking here!!!!

Ideally, I'd also like to put in a reverb tank and IF possible, wire in a slapback AND... maybe a Trem. I know that is a lot... but I guess to start with... just the amp would work. Maybe work in a build with the other stuff later.

It sounds like you may want to start with the deluxe reverb as your building block - you've got your reverb and vibrato, and when you mix a little of each you can pull off a touch of that slapback/echo type sound. (do a Google search on deluxe reverb and you'll find plenty of schematics and layouts out there)

It looks like size would be a major factor with speaker size... but if you could swing a 12", I would definitely go that route. Or just make it a head and set it a top of a matched speaker cab?

This Atwater Kent Cathedral type would be the sort of look I am going for those interested. :)

ak82.jpg

I can't see that being very practical at all but WAY cool! I was raised by my grandfather until I was about 15 and I remember him having a non-working radio that looked very much like that except it stood up on beautiful legs that looked like old furniture, and had crimson grill cloth. Wouldn't that be cool?!

I really like what your thinking here!!!!

It sounds like you may want to start with the deluxe reverb as your building block - you've got your reverb and vibrato, and when you mix a little of each you can pull off a touch of that slapback/echo type sound. (do a Google search on deluxe reverb and you'll find plenty of schematics and layouts out there)

It looks like size would be a major factor with speaker size... but if you could swing a 12", I would definitely go that route. Or just make it a head and set it a top of a matched speaker cab?

Yeah! Thing is, I've never built such a thing before and am a bit concerned this might be a bit more than I can handle. I don't know... but it just seems that way. haha.

I was really wanting to put a firefly together or something first just get my feet wet. Too bad they don't make a firefly anymore. :(

I can't see that being very practical at all but WAY cool! I was raised by my grandfather until I was about 15 and I remember him having a non-working radio that looked very much like that except it stood up on beautiful legs that looked like old furniture, and had crimson grill cloth. Wouldn't that be cool?!

Well, these wouldn't be too bad in terms of practicality. Now, the larger bits like what your grandpa had would DEFINITELY be impractical as all get out. haha.

I love the looks of those old radios. The cool thing is, when not in use, they are beautiful to just look at!

H

Well, these wouldn't be too bad in terms of practicality. Now, the larger bits like what your grandpa had would DEFINITELY be impractical as all get out. haha.

I love the looks of those old radios. The cool thing is, when not in use, they are beautiful to just look at!

All my amps serve double duty, they make my guitar louder and give me a place to set my beer, so I still say impractical!

H

All my amps serve double duty, they make my guitar louder and give me a place to set my beer, so I still say impractical!

Ah, I gotcha.

I am a fan of smaller amps. So... yeah. :)

My Cube 80X is pushing it! haha.

Yeah! Thing is, I've never built such a thing before and am a bit concerned this might be a bit more than I can handle. I don't know... but it just seems that way. haha.

I was really wanting to put a firefly together or something first just get my feet wet. Too bad they don't make a firefly anymore. :(

A good starting point and something that should easily fit in that kind of cab could be a Tweed Champ (5F1) or Princeton (5F2) - no reverb or vibrato, but either would be a great sounding little 5 watt amp. 5F2 is essentially the same as the 5F1, just with Tone control added.

5F1 Schematic

5F1 Layout

5F2 Schematic

5F2 Layout

This Atwater Kent Cathedral type would be the sort of look I am going for those interested. :)

ak82.jpg

That'll keep people from sitting on it.

Where would you put the controls? How would you move it around without putting handles on it? Would the cabinet need additional bracing to deal with the increased stress of working at higher outputs and supporting heavier components?

Hope this doesn't sound negative! I've just completed a 5E3 build and I dealt with all my negatives before I cut any wood or soldered any components. Hope your build comes off :)

Where would you put the controls? How would you move it around without putting handles on it? Would the cabinet need additional bracing to deal with the increased stress of working at higher outputs and supporting heavier components?

Hope this doesn't sound negative! I've just completed a 5E3 build and I dealt with all my negatives before I cut any wood or soldered any components. Hope your build comes off :)

I was honestly hoping to use the existing knobs for things like the gain and tone control and leave the switches on the back.

I figured I would have to rebrace the inside for the chassis but only due to age. But then... I haven't even gotten a Frankenstein's corpse to mess with. Those inerds aren't exactly light to start with.

The speaker though, that is where I'd have questions about mounting. I am assuming I'd end up with an 8" Celestion or the like in there.

The more I think about it, the more I realize there is a lot more to this than just deciding on an amp. Perhaps looking at the gear of your favorite artists or the most common amp for the Genre you like. I chose a deluxe reverb type design because with the right stomp boxes, its a very versitle amp. I play a lot of blues and classic rock. I think my amp is the ticket because I can get some sweet tube saturation while keeping the volume low. I don't think there isn't a lot I cannot pull out of this amp, but I'm basing my opinion on the sound demo's I hear from Proguitarshop.com. Andy demo's most of the guitars and pedals and until recently, those demo's were exclusively on the Fender DRRI.

I was honestly hoping to use the existing knobs for things like the gain and tone control and leave the switches on the back.

I figured I would have to rebrace the inside for the chassis but only due to age. But then... I haven't even gotten a Frankenstein's corpse to mess with. Those inerds aren't exactly light to start with.

The speaker though, that is where I'd have questions about mounting. I am assuming I'd end up with an 8" Celestion or the like in there.

I may not be understanding fully but if your saying you don't have the radio to start with any good cabinet maker could build you one from pictures, and you could give him/her the dimensions for the guts and he could make sure you had the room. Probably wouldn't give you the same vibe as reincarnateing something long dead though, either way, I hope you make ir happen I would really like to see the results! :icon_thumright:

Archived