Heritage Owners Club

My baby is sick! (Strap button keeps falling out)

Axman

I was playing my H150-P in practice a few weeks ago when suddenly she was falling... mid-air... horror!  Seems the strap button came free of the wood.  We tightened it good, or so thought, but the same thing happened repeatedly at a gig last weekend.  One of my bandmates felt helpful and was gonna squirt some locktite in the hole and screw it back in, but I would have none of it.... It sounded cheap and I didn't want any foreign substances introducred to the wood.  Maybe I was being picky... but hey.

So, I'm in work and have to play tonight... I hesitated bringing my Heritage tonight, but then again I'm in love and can't see how I can't.

I screwed the button in good again but I am lacking confidence.  Is there a dirty fix I can do tonight before the gig?  Is Lock-Tite a bad option?  I understand there are various types...even one for wood perhaps. 

The button placement (the one next to the neck) is a bit odd and with the locking cheap-o strap I have the angle the strap is at is almost pulling it straight out of the hole as opposed to being at a right angle to the button.

But.. but.. it's glue.  OK, so maybe the Loctite wasn't a bad option. I'm just funny that way...but doubt a drop of Gorilla glue will change her sound.  I worry I can't get the button out but why would I need to, right?

when i have a strap screw that wont stay thight, i take a toothpich and force some tightbond wood glue in the hole, then run the screw in....let it set for 12 hours.  always worked well for me

Axman:

If the glue part bothers you, the toothpick trick works pretty well without the glue, but then again, I'd bet Heritages are already held together with titebond, so if you glued the toothpick you would simply be extending the traditional manufacturing technique. 

If toothpicks were made of maple, they'd probably take them away from you when you boarded an airplane ...they'd be a potential weapon! 

ROFL... I wonder if my mint-flavored toothpick is mahogany  ???

I'm far from any toothpicks but near a hardware store, so I went with the Gorilla glue... I should be good to go, I hope.

Anyone else find the positioning of that button a bit awkward?  I know the strap I use with the plastic locking mechanism doesn't help, but it seems the arse does drag a little downwards.  I'm just not used to Les Pauls, I suppose.  But I love my baby...

If toothpicks were made of maple, they'd probably take them away from you when you boarded an airplane ...they'd be a potential weapon! 

what you talkin bout willis ;D  i have maple toothpicks, and i'm not afraid to use them! ;D ;D :P :P

It's been said the natives in the wilds of Vermont use them as blow darts.. tipped with yummy syrup.

Shoot me.. shoot me now!

[move][glow=red,2,300]LMAO[/glow][/move]

I had the same problem and did the toothpick thing, with some Elmers. The only other 'pro' way to do it is fill the hole with epoxy and re-drill a starter hole a little smaller.  But don't do the 'use a bigger and bigger screw' thing  :police:

I had the same problem and did the toothpick thing, with some Elmers. The only other 'pro' way to do it is fill the hole with epoxy and re-drill a starter hole a little smaller.  But don't do the 'use a bigger and bigger screw' thing  :police:

I would certainly consider a longer screw, of the same diameter. You'll need to drill a small tapping hole. Don't be in the slightest bit worried about using glue though, it certainly won't affect the tonality of the wood, consider the affect all those layers of nitro/laquer have to the tone. Your glue is not going to make any difference. :wink:

Thing is though, if you don't have the proper tools for the job... DON'T attempt it.

But make sure the toothpick is either maple or mahogany--otherwise, your tone will be severely affected!  ;D

I've also noticed that Titebond gives the guitar a little more in the upper mids, where Elmers tends to kill off some of the highs.   ;D  :icon_jokercolor:

I've also noticed that Titebond gives the guitar a little more in the upper mids, where Elmers tends to kill off some of the highs.   ;D  :icon_jokercolor:

Jeeze, Dave!  I'd like some more particulars, please...eg: time of day the glue was applied, relative humidity, room temp, etc.  I used Titebond on a strap button screw on my '73 Paul, and virtually all of the overtones above 1.3K just disappeared!  What's up with that?  I called Ren, but he wouldn't even talk to me about it!  Elmers is animal glue, isn't it...made from cows?  What if I ever wanted to play ragas or sell my Paul to a Hindu???  This is all so disconcerting....        :icon_clown:   

What's even more disconcerting is the source of toothpicks.  After our discussion yesterday I checked my handy box of Diamond's for wood type, which isn't listed, but sure enough, in the fine print ..."Made in China."  The implications are myriad and terrifying, given all those strap button fixes to all those (originally) American guitars.

The implications are myriad and terrifying, given all those strap button fixes to all those (originally) American guitars.

Every one now a...a...bastard...!            :'(

I did the toothpick thing. Worked great on my tele. I used Elmers wood glue. I cracked a headstock on my first nice guitar and I vowed that to never let that happen again. At least when the guitar is strapped around my neck. My new foolproof method is to wrap my entire body in Saran Wrap with my guitar strapped on. I cut a hole for my mouth, and the guitar cable. Its a good look too. For some reason though, my family and friends don't talk to me anymore..  :afro:

Not sure why you're asking the old codgers on this site...

Here's a bit of handy advice I found on Harmony Central...

"I have never played live in concert with it but I do have one complaint. I was trying different strap lenghts to see how it would look in the mirror, and one of the strap buttons snapped off and I had to bore out the snapped screw. and replace it with a nail.  Now my strap is never gonna fail me (heh heh)".

My new foolproof method is to wrap my entire body in Saran Wrap with my guitar strapped on. I cut a hole for my mouth, and the guitar cable.  :afro: 

Bring out the Gimp! 

So far, so good with the Gorilla glue..  Made it through a gig, but at practice yesterday one of the guy's wives accused my guitar of stealing her banana...

Archived