Heritage Owners Club

Black Star Amps

mark555

Guest HRB853370

I had an HT5 but sold it. Way too underpowered. I guess it would be fine for somebody in an apartment where sounds levels are a concern. It looked pretty, appeared to be built like a tank and sounded good, but my Fender Twin was laughing at it the whole time it was in my music room.

I had an HT5 but sold it. Way too underpowered. I guess it would be fine for somebody in an apartment where sounds levels are a concern. It looked pretty, appeared to be built like a tank and sounded good, but my Fender Twin was laughing at it the whole time it was in my music room.

That's a big difference in amps! 100W Twin 2x12 versus a 5W 1x10!

Yeah it is a bit unfair comparison....but valid when you have them both in the same room. Short comings are revealed. The 5w Blackstar "is a toy" next to a 100w 212 and a "toy" next to good quality 30w 112. Its guts is a two channel overdrive stomp with an LED lit tube. Its OD is not all tube driven.

I really dont like the Blackstar sound. Dont like the look of the amps the wiggly controls(reminds me of the Marshall JVM amps)(that they, the Black Star crew, probably worked on) the unnatural gain/distortion. Dont like the ISF control that sounds like its continuously screwing up the signal in any position. Dont like the sterile thin sounding clean. Dont like much about them at all. Dont even like the price. Theyre too expensive. People love them for a few months and then move on having wasted a few bucks. But its ok theres another wave of internet hype surrounding another amp brand that they can surf for a while.

I use the Blackstar HT-Dual pedal infront of my fender to give me a generic high gain sound. It works. It makes any amp I stick it in front of sound like a Blackstar. Kinda cheesy and artificial, but its capable of a raspy high gain that suggests modern rock so I use it.

I just wanted to say this for a while. I dont like Blackstar amps.

I am seriously considering a Blackstar amp. Any one here got one or used one?

I think these are pretty good amps for the money, Mark.

I've played the HT-5, Series One 45 and the Artisan 30. Very versatile, going from Marshall metal-ish to Fendery cleans.

I'd take one of the Artisan pair (30W and 15W, hand-wired) if I had the cash. A gigging musician would probably prefer the Series One 45. You can find the HT range in most UK music shops these days.

Wow, what a bummer. Rob Chappers makes them sound so incredibly good. Such a shame. I was looking at their HT1 head for a heavy OD amp for the basement. I guess I'll just keep using OD pedals in front of my KBP810 amp.

I think these are pretty good amps for the money, Mark.

I've played the HT-5, Series One 45 and the Artisan 30. Very versatile, going from Marshall metal-ish to Fendery cleans.

I'd take one of the Artisan pair (30W and 15W, hand-wired) if I had the cash. A gigging musician would probably prefer the Series One 45. You can find the HT range in most UK music shops these days.

Andertons sells them, they have a lot of demo's on their by Lee Anderton and Rob Chapper.

Rob Chappers did some pretty good Orange demo's as well. Also Marshall. Also.......

I remember when he made big waves at a PRS forum and then switched to Ibanez and just didnt bother checking back in. He sold lots of lessons though.

Hes a great player and thats why he sounds good through what ever amp or guitar hes using at the moment. I could buy what ever hes using and just not come close to his sound. I think one of his best sounding demo's was an Orange demo's with either a PRS sc or an LP. Thick clear and very rock. His playing, very good.

Youtube clips as a recommendation to buy a product is none. Time with the product under your own terms is the real test.

Because I seem to be in a particularly petulant type of mood:

Customer: Ive been watching youtube clips of XXX do you have them in store.

Me: Yes. Lets plug you in.

Customer: (after several tweaks of the eq and gain) OO er doesnt sound like this on youtube. Maybe theres something wrong with the room or this amp because it sounded so much better on you tube.

Me: Ok I'll leave you with it for a while.

Line6 xt live sounds great on youtube. I own one and can drive it well. But in reality its pretty crap. If I bought based of youtube clips Id have 5 of them. Heres where I really suck, I bought three stomps based of youtube clips. The three of them really suck. For me they are junk stomps. I still listen to youtube demo's of them and they sound great. But under my control and through my gear, they suck.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to let go of it.

Wow, what a bummer. Rob Chappers makes them sound so incredibly good. Such a shame. I was looking at their HT1 head for a heavy OD amp for the basement.

Amps, pickups, pedals: Its in the ear of the beholder, DB. What Tully is looking for may not be what you are seeking. Try one out for yourself and judge on that basis.

The big difference in the US may be the pricing, of course.

Amps, pickups, pedals: Its in the ear of the beholder, DB. What Tully is looking for may not be what you are seeking. Try one out for yourself and judge on that basis.

Im better now. :dontknow::blush:

and you are right.

Apologies. I had some kind of weird moment that I cant untype. Just lost a little composure and form. More than normal at least

Keep it coming, Tully, the majority of your posts are much more relevant and amusing than the '+1' type that make up most posts on the forum! :)

That's the one problem I have with a lot of amps out there. I cannot try them without buying them first. I really do like gear demo's from real musicians like our HOC members. You can tell the clips are raw and unedited, so there is no sugar coating anything. The best pedal demo's I've ever found was on Oldtonezone.com. Anthony Stauffer created an online application to many common pedals at various settings. The tool actually switches back and forth so you can hear the differences in tone. Really cool. Other than taking advice from HOC members, I'm a try before you buy type of guy.

Well, I have not been happy with my fender HotRod DeVille for some time, very loud for 40 watts but I am just not completely happy. Looking for something else with a rounder sound. I really want a Matamp (for those of you not familiar with Matamp, just about the best made amp you will buy and they sound mega)but can't afford one.

Guest HRB853370

People always think the Fender TR is 100w but its "only" 85W!

Guest HRB853370

That's the one problem I have with a lot of amps out there. I cannot try them without buying them first. I really do like gear demo's from real musicians like our HOC members. You can tell the clips are raw and unedited, so there is no sugar coating anything. The best pedal demo's I've ever found was on Oldtonezone.com. Anthony Stauffer created an online application to many common pedals at various settings. The tool actually switches back and forth so you can hear the differences in tone. Really cool. Other than taking advice from HOC members, I'm a try before you buy type of guy.

That's the way it should be...with women also!

Well, I have not been happy with my fender HotRod DeVille for some time, very loud for 40 watts but I am just not completely happy. Looking for something else with a rounder sound. I really want a Matamp (for those of you not familiar with Matamp, just about the best made amp you will buy and they sound mega)but can't afford one.

I thought the DeVille was 60 watts - no wonder it's loud! There seem to be a couple of music shops in the Huddersfield area which stock Blackstar, so if I were you I'd get along (with the 555!) and try out a few different amps. Don't limit yourself to Blackstar either - you never know what might be in the shop. Come to that, don't limit yourself to Huddersfield - I bet Leeds has a few good music shops! Anyway, we can discuss the matter on the 23rd at the inaugural HOC UK chapter meeting...

Heck, if you still want a Blackstar I'm trying to sell my Artisan 15....

And if JJ's amp makes a noise anything like the Artisan 30, it would be well worth following that up Mark :)

Heck, if you still want a Blackstar I'm trying to sell my Artisan 15....

I am looking for something around forty watts, but how much are you looking for the amp?

Apologies. I had some kind of weird moment that I cant untype. Just lost a little composure and form. More than normal at least

I heard a rumor that you had signed on as an endorser for Bugera!

I heard a rumor that you had signed on as an endorser for Bugera!

yeah.....nah.... :thefinger:^_^

Fixed the Bugera problem... made it go away.

Just got in some new Black Star Series One and Im happy to say they've finally done something about the wobbly controls. They feel nice and solid.

Archived