Heritage Owners Club

Black Star Amps

mark555

This is probably a good way to start an argument which is not my intent, but I have become a great believer that your amp should cost more than the guitar you play through it. If one can come up with the moola, which is not always easy, a Bad Cat, Carr,or Mesa is a good place to be.

Heres where I really suck, I bought three stomps based of youtube clips. The three of them really suck. For me they are junk stomps. I still listen to youtube demo's of them and they sound great. But under my control and through my gear, they suck.

Hey Tully, This was very useful for me to read, for I tend to judge stomps by how they sound on You Tube. Often, these pedals aren't available at a local store to try out, or, you'd have to drive for 3 hrs to get to a store that carries boutique gear.

I have become a great believer that your amp should cost more than the guitar you play through it.

Heaven help the poor guy that buys the $12 grand PRS then, Don! ;)

Hey Tully, This was very useful for me to read, for I tend to judge stomps by how they sound on You Tube. Often, these pedals aren't available at a local store to try out, or, you'd have to drive for 3 hrs to get to a store that carries boutique gear.

After failing three times in my judgement of stomps on youtube and manufacturers sound clips I made a couple of clips my self and stuck them on youtube and soundclick to try and figure out what I was listening to on youtube vs real time and real life.

After watching and listening detached from guitar, amp, stomp and feeling the sound waves emanating from my guitar speaker cabs I decided they all sounded good. Not bad at all infact. Suprisingly one of my least favourite od stomps sounded the best in the youtube clips. In real life its a bit fizzy and brittle but with quite muddy bass frequencies. On youtube it sounds warm and fat.

Some people can discern by a youtube clip whats going to work for them. I cant. I did try the Xotic BB Pre through all my amps before I bought it and it works well, so does the RAT and a Danelectro TO and a lot of others which I tried through my gear before handing over $$. Theres not one RAT youtube clip that would make me want to buy one and yet I find it to be a very useful musical stomp. Same with the Dano.

I have discovered by getting these three fail stomps that I cant stand stomps with jfet opamps. I dont know what it is, dont care, dont want it. My amps are "amp like" they dont need some fake "amp like" thing stuck in front of them.

Anyway, just my 0.02c and ymmv

Sorry about the high jack.

This is probably a good way to start an argument which is not my intent, but I have become a great believer that your amp should cost more than the guitar you play through it. If one can come up with the moola, which is not always easy, a Bad Cat, Carr,or Mesa is a good place to be.

I largely agree...at least insofar as most people far under-value their amps in favour of guitars. The difficulty is that many guitars are too expensive to make it work. My JTM45 kit was only 1,000...my second-hand Heritage was 1,300.

Heaven help the poor guy that buys the $12 grand PRS then, Don! ;)

LOL, good point Howard!! I guess I was thinking in terms of normal playing hardware. Of course, there may be someone who is going to gig that PRS, but it won't be me!!!!! I think that proves the rule that there ain't no hard and fast rules!!

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of spare cash right now....

I thought the DeVille was 60 watts - no wonder it's loud! There seem to be a couple of music shops in the Huddersfield area which stock Blackstar, so if I were you I'd get along (with the 555!) and try out a few different amps. Don't limit yourself to Blackstar either - you never know what might be in the shop. Come to that, don't limit yourself to Huddersfield - I bet Leeds has a few good music shops! Anyway, we can discuss the matter on the 23rd at the inaugural HOC UK chapter meeting...

Hi Bob, Leeds, strangely enough, is not too good for guitar shops at all. The best ones near us are in Sheffield and Doncaster.

yeah.....nah.... :thefinger:^_^

Fixed the Bugera problem... made it go away.

Just got in some new Black Star Series One and Im happy to say they've finally done something about the wobbly controls. They feel nice and solid.

Is the Series One uber expensive like the Artist Series?

I thought the DeVille was 60 watts - no wonder it's loud! There seem to be a couple of music shops in the Huddersfield area which stock Blackstar, so if I were you I'd get along (with the 555!) and try out a few different amps. Don't limit yourself to Blackstar either - you never know what might be in the shop. Come to that, don't limit yourself to Huddersfield - I bet Leeds has a few good music shops! Anyway, we can discuss the matter on the 23rd at the inaugural HOC UK chapter meeting...

A HOC UK chapter!! that's awesome!! Have a pint for me!! :icon_thumright:

Nah. The Series One's are much cheaper.

Besides, the Artisan amps really are NOT that expensive in the UK.....cheaper than Marshall equivalents, easily.

The Series One is slightly cheaper than the Artisan series. A Series One 100w head is about 10-12% cheaper than the Artisan 100w head. The HT series are the cheap ones. About 1/2 the price of the Series One.

Thats how it works out over here anyway. Dont know how it works out for anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for something around forty watts, but how much are you looking for the amp?

I saw Andertons has some Cornfield amps for a decent price. Guess they bought out some remaing stock and have some lower wattage deals going on right now for under $500 (pounds that is)

I know that they are highly regarded and founded by Four of the former Marshall engineers, made in the UK.

I know that they are highly regarded and founded by Four of the former Marshall engineers, made in the UK.

Designed but not made in the UK, I'm afraid, I think it's Korea.

Umm, gonna say it yet again...

Boutique amps for boutique guitars! With vintage old stock (used) tubes!

Handwired, true point to point, turret, or eyelet board construction for ease of repair, modding and great tones are tough builds to beat for reliability.

Matchless, Siegmund, Aiken, Carr, Clark, Sligo, Marsh, Ceriatone, Victoria, Kendrick, Goodsell, Bacino, Toad Suck Tones, Vintone, Juke, Chicago Bluesbox, Dr. Z, Bruno, Bogner, 65 Amps, Red Plate, Red Iron, Bogner, Bruno, and our own KBP810 to barely scratch the surface on what is available here, nearly all these listed are built by Americans in America!

Not all are super spendy, not all boutique amps cost over 3 grand, some can be had for under 1500, and you won't want to trade or sell them after a few months if you bought well in the first place.

Peace.

Umm, gonna say it yet again...

Boutique amps for boutique guitars! With vintage old stock (used) tubes!

Handwired, true point to point, turret, or eyelet board construction for ease of repair, modding and great tones are tough builds to beat for reliability.

Matchless, Siegmund, Aiken, Carr, Clark, Sligo, Marsh, Ceriatone, Victoria, Kendrick, Goodsell, Bacino, Toad Suck Tones, Vintone, Juke, Chicago Bluesbox, Dr. Z, Bruno, Bogner, 65 Amps, Red Plate, Red Iron, Bogner, Bruno, and our own KBP810 to barely scratch the surface on what is available here, nearly all these listed are built by Americans in America!

Not all are super spendy, not all boutique amps cost over 3 grand, some can be had for under 1500, and you won't want to trade or sell them after a few months if you bought well in the first place.

Peace.

The biggest hit of PSP IV this year???

KBP810 Amplification!

He had two Reverb Deluxes, two tube driven Reverb units, one D/ODS, and 2x12 Cabinet there!

:headbang:

IMG010.jpg

[url=

IMG008.jpg

IMG013.jpg

Archived