Heritage Owners Club

Buying New or Used?

Kuz

And why I love the boys at Heritage.

I told them I was trying to drum up a little support for them because I truly care for them and Marv Lamb said

"Thanks John. We really do appreciate the support and business is good but can always be better. But we understand times are a little more difficult now and if someone can't afford a new Heritage now, tell that person to go ahead and buy that good deal on a used one."

Trust me with the sincerity in his voice there was no alternative motive. He just wanted some to be happy with a good guitar that can't afford one right now. 

Try to get Henry J to be that compassionate and understanding. Man, I am glad I got to meet these true Gentleman & Legends!

I think they know that their guitars have a playability about them (at least the ones I've played, anyway) that few other makers can match. If you buy one used now, in 2 or 3 years, when you have a different life situation, you may be able to buy a new one. Besides, their goal (I really believe this, but I could just be gullible) is, IMO, to see their guitars getting played. I know the feeling, and I feel the same about my amps.

Oh, I use all 3 at gigs, as 1 is dropped-D tuning with a tremolo, one is standard tuning with a tremolo, and one is standard tuning with a hardtail. What could I use another for? Well, probably nothing, unless I get a nice jazz guitar for around the house to attempt to improve my jazz playing. That's where that Roy Clark that's in the For Sale section would come in REALLY handy.

rooster.

i have bought so many used guitars, it isnt funny...the one thing that has changed over the past 3 or so yrs is honest people, or the lack there of!!!

i used to buy guitars and not worry...now i ask a million questions and still wonder!!! ???

All of my Heritages I have now are new; all bought from Jay.

A downside to buying new, is if you decide to sell it or trade it, you'll take a BIG hit on it.

All of my Heritages I have now are new; all bought from Jay.

A downside to buying new, is if you decide to sell it or trade it, you'll take a BIG hit on it.

Very True. But I do see them holding their value a little better in the last 6-8 months. My only fear was that was to due to the "the Heritage plant is closing and never opening again" shutdown rumors....

I almost never buy a guitar new.  If you're the kind of person who buys and sells often, it just makes no sense at all.

As far as supporting any company (Heritage, Gibson, Ford, or Apple) by buying new product goes, that's not an idea that really ever occurs to me, though I completely understand that others might find it important.  If I buy something new, it's because that's what works for me, not because that's what works for them.

If I buy something new, it's because that's what works for me, not because that's what works for them. 

Amen Brother!  I think Heritage feels the same way.  They can sure stand on their own feet.  When I called Ren about the god awful, beat 6 ways to Sunday, 445 I got he wasn't upset that it was abused at all.  He was glad somebody had fun with the guitar.  When I sent him pics of the 475 he was genuinely congratulatory. 

Kuz, I can smell the saw dust on your feet.  I bow and touch the hem of your garment. 

Kuz

This is a good thread.

I'll chime in here also. I think the biggest problem that Heritage has as a business is that many guitar players just simply don't know about them, We do, but we are a small lot.

I have bought both of mine new, a 535 and a 150. I have owned bunches of guitars, mostly bought second hand, that's what I could afford.

ANY Heritage, used or new that's being played where other folks can see or hear them is all good and the BEST thing for the company in the long run. The first couple of Les Pal's I bought were used , I liked them, got a tatse for them, then when I had the money I eventually bought NEW. By buying used I was able to "taste" the brand and develop loyalty that turned into new guitars.

With that being said I'll do my part to help keep Heritage alive and well. I'm saving now for a new one, hopefully late this year. It's just a damn shame way more people aren't enjoying these fine guitars.

More folks just need to be seen and heard playing these guitars.

plexi

Okay... So, if you order a Heritage and have it made for you then you loose the ability to pick the best one. And for each best one there are inevitably some "not so good" So how do you know if you've got a "best" a "worst" or just an "not so good".

Not to take issue at all with you cosmik, I agree with you, but define "best" for me (which I'm sure you can and will).  Perhaps I'm not as discriminating as I might be, but from where I am now, here's my take on "best."  And I'm defining this term with the understanding that I have, as a good friend, a fabulous luthier.  Context is everything!  Most of the thirty or forty guitars I've owned in my life have been used; all had their shortcomings and unique qualities which made them desireable to me at the time I owned them.  The way I look at them now is, for example, my'72 Paul is the best guitar which I've had for thirty-four years; The Volkswagen guitar is the best guitar I have for leaving in open tuning for slide; the Tele is the best guitar I own for twang; the 150 is the best I own for visual "Wow!"; the 576 is the best voice for my preferred style of playing; the G&L Legacy is the best for versatility;...and the Super will be the best guitar I ever custom ordered!  Is each the "best" specimen of its subspecies?  Most likely not, but all are very functional, and to me, unique, musical instruments.  Anybody gets out of line in any way...off to Tom for an adjustment, from which it returns...better.  "Best" in a musical instrument is not simply an objective technical absolute, but it is also most certainly derivative of the player's relationship to that guitar.  You've been a member of this forum more than long enough to understand the implications of all of our relationships to Heritage and its instruments, new or used.  

Archived