Heritage Owners Club

Buying New or Used?

Kuz

As I should be sleeping before my 4hr plus drive to Heritage this morning, I ran across a couple posts that had me wondering....

First I will say that anyone is free to spend their hard earned dollar as they choose. I am making no accusations against anyone. It's your money do as you please.

But at the same time we all wish the best for Heritage Guitar company. We want to see them thrive and grow. We hope they have a bright future.

So how can we truly support Heritage Guitar company if we only buy used Heritage guitars? I am guilty. I have 6 Heritages and 2 I bought used (first 2 were used, last 4 new).

The more successful Heritage is through our support, hopefully the more likely they will keep their prices lower (they will always increase, but hopefully the increase is lower).

It just caught me wrong when someone wrote "yea the ***** Heritage model is great, even better if you can score a great used one!"

-Are we supporting Heritage Guitar Company with comments like that???

Everyone has a budget and maybe the better deal is to buy Heritages used, But we are not supporting the Heritage Guitar Company if we only buy used Heritages and encourage others to only buy used.

Heritage Guitar is not Fender, Gibson, PRS, ect. Every new sold guitar is helping them stay afloat.

I know this will be controversial, but something I had to say. It is just my opinion, and I welcome yours.

Ya got a point, and a very valid one too, without a doubt.

It's like the old "buy American" or wherever the heck one's from, and it does make a lot of sense.

Even in the automotive industry, company's make it easier for the customer to buy a brand new car than a used one by makin' the interest on a loan lower for a new car, and it's perfectly logical cuz in a way secondhand has been "sold" already once, (and we're only talkin' about survivin' here, not thrivin'...)

We should also take into consideration the fact that a used guitar always sounds better than a new one; I've very rarely bought a brand new guitar and every time I did it always needed to be "broken in"; that's why Joe Perry hands new guitars to his tech for the guy to play 'em for about 6 months before he gets 'em back.

And that's the reason why we've all witnessed this weird "Relic" phenomenon, which I think is nuthin' but a con, albeit a very smart one...and white people really like it!

Never mind also the fact that the average guitarist is not exactly super-loaded when it comes to dough, so once he has purchased a (cheaper) secondhand guitar and he's happy with it, the chances for that guy to go and buy a new one are extremely slim indeed!

Hey he'd like to but he's short on cash, and that's why we see a lot of Asian "just about playable actually a lot better than it used to but not quite the real thing and a lil' plasticky on the side" crap.

When I get the chance I will go to Parson Street and probably buy a new guitar there (I mean, you just gotta do it!) but for the time bein' 90% of my guitar buyin' is goin' to be secondhand.

This obviously affects every manufacturer as I'm not gonna buy new neither Gibson nor Fender or anybody else.

The main point though is; what's gonna happen to Heritage or better, to The Heritage we all know and love?

The reason why a lot of company's, and apart from "the big 2" I also include reputable people like  Hamer - Parker - PRS - Dean, went a certain why is because they had to survive and prosper.

I think the only other option for a company like Heritage would be stay relatively small, like Collins - McInturf - Abyss and people of that ilk.

I'm only hintin' at what in Business terms is called "feasibility plan"; I'm no businessman God forbid, I'm but a Rock'n'Roller who also knows that you gotta be a bit of a businessman if ya wanna be kinda successfull at what ya do whatever it is that ya do.

Havin' said all this, I can only think of 1 manufacturer that has managed to run it's own race by producin' TOP CLASS SECOND TO NONE innovative products, thrive and still avoidin' the dreaded "cheap Asian" shortcut, and they sell A LOT O' STUFF.

I'm talkin' about Taylor.

I think I'll check out their take on the singlecut... :wink:

Just playing Devils Advocate here.... So don't smite me... :-*

You seem to presuppose that because someone likes Heritage guitars, they should in some way support the factory.

A less altruistic view may be. I like Heritage guitars because I feel they're the best/value and want the best deal I can get in order to own the best guitar I can afford. The emphasis here being on the "I"

Is it not the responsibility of the business to make sure it's product is attractive to its customers and therefore remain solvent. Otherwise it becomes a hobby or even a charity ???

It's true to say that certain names within the guitar industry are Iconic, like Harley Davidson within the Motorcycle industry, however to patronise them on the basis of name alone can lead to complacency and eventually an inferior product.

So... Is protectionism in one form or another a good thing... :undecided:

Is Heritage is a business being run by a bunch of luthiers? Perhaps Heritage would be more successful if they had a "Henry" at the helm and left the luthiers to what they know best.

Perhaps the recent changes will help? Would you then still want to buy a Heritage though if they became more of a "real" business?

From a business perspective, a strong secondary market encourages the continuation and expansion of the primary market.  In other words, if nobody were buying used Heritages, the number of new Heritages sold would begin to decline.  It seems counter-intuitive and almost paradoxical, but it is true and has as much to do with the psychology of the marketplace and the buyer as it does economics. 

Also, as demand in the secondary market increases, the cost of those items available increases, assuming a relatively constant quantity of supply.  As the cost of used Heritages approaches the cost new (well, discounted street from a dealer, with warranty), the ratio of used:new buyers begins to favor new.  As the demand for new Heritages increases, Heritage is able to raise their prices to keep quantity demand in line with quantity supply (or find ways to adjust quantity supply to reap additional economies of scale).  As the price of a new Heritage begins to climb, the balance shifts back to used heritage buyers, as those prices were on the decline (due to more buyers leaving the secondary market for the primary market, reducing demand) and the gap between used and new widens once again.

It becomes almost a ballet.  Some companies try and kill the secondary market for their products, thinking it will choke off their primary market.  I think they would be better served to encourage an increase in demand for used product, though, as it has a positive effect on new sales.  If any of you were here when the HOC first started, and remember what the prices were for used Heritages just six or eight months ago, you have probably noticed that they've been on the rise.  And that's in the face of a worsening economy here in the States.  I don't think I've seen a $700 H150 since last fall and back then you could find at least two or three a week on feePay.

Is Heritage is a business being run by a bunch of luthiers? Perhaps Heritage would be more successful if they had a "Henry" at the helm and left the luthiers to what they know best.

Perhaps the recent changes will help? Would you then still want to buy a Heritage though if they became more of a "real" business?

Successful is a term that only the shareholders can define.  At a non-profit, success might be defined as lifting as many people out of poverty as possible.  At a financial firm, it might be amassing billions in capital per day.  At Gibson, it might mean increasing the return on their "lifestyle accessory" sales by reducing costs and increasing price. 

There is nothing evil about business.  There is nothing inherently wrong with running a company using the best of business practices.  There isn't even anything wrong with Gibson, as long as you understand that what Henry is selling isn't instruments, but "lifestyles."  He has said as much in various interviews.  That is why I won't buy a Gibson.  I don't want to buy a lifestyle marketed to me by a Harvard MBA. 

If the owners of Heritage implemented solid business processes to increase quality, production and profitability without-and this is important-eliminating the very "heritage" that makes them interesting and desirable (to me at least), I would have no qualms about buying their product.  Why should I?  If they changed their manufacturing to a "lowest cost provider" and their marketing to a "brand consciousness, lifestyle awareness" approach, though, count me out.

It's not up to me (as the consumer) to keep a business in business. It's up to the persons running the company. I really like my Heritage guitars. But ya know what? I really like my PRS guitars, too. And my G&L. And my '74LPC. And and and .... but it's not my job to keep those businesses solvent. So, for me I feel no remorse for buying used. And for the record: I've purchased 2 used Heritage and sold one of those. I've also purchased a Heritage brand new off the shelf.

Just my final point on this.

We are asking for a private factory tour, shirts, buttons, ect. Yet we don't care about supporting, yes, a bunch of Luthers?

Ren, and owners, have given away free info, and a lot of free parts to many of us (and some of those parts have been for used Heritages), yet we don't feel a need to support a bunch of Luthers?

Good arguement about a secondary market driving the primary market but I don't know what the time frame is on that model.

I think everyone here knows how I feel. I'm not going to preach to anyone, again truly it's your money.

I for one feel if Heritage makes the guitar I like, from a great bunch of guys that didn't sell out, (yea that was their choice) that I will support them.  And yes I think it is refressing that all they care about is building guitars and how they hand build, even though they should care a little more about the business side of things.

I would have a hard time calling the factory for help and asking for support of the HOC reunion, if I didn't feel like I was going to ever support them with a purchase of a new guitar (be it in the past or future).

Anyhow I'd like to read more opinions.

Now break over back to finishing the trip to Mecca!

Best,

Kuz

Here is another take on the issue:  I have limitied funds, say $1200.  I'd like a new guitar, one that is reliable and sounds good.  What are my options.  American Fender models, a plethora of imports or certain used American models.  If I had the additional money (say $4000) available for the new Heritages or other American manufacturers, the argument is different, but it is a sizable difference that can make the choice of used or no Heritage guitar.  I think most people who play guitars are not professionals or are scraping by, and as such need to excercise the used market to get a quality Heritage guitar.

I also don't really understand the concern.  There is a backlog of orders at Heritage that other threads have sited as the reason for delivery delays.  They apparently aren't hurting for orders.  Frankly I'm grateful for the used market relieving some of the demand for Heritage guitars, the are not setup to manufacture the large number of guitars the same as Gibson.  I don't think the factory could manufacture the numbers that are needed if the demand would explode, and they'd have to consider outsourcing to Korea or whereever. 

Just my final point on this.

We are asking for a private factory tour, shirts, buttons, ect. Yet we don't care about supporting, yes, a bunch of Luthers?

Ren, and owners, have given away free info, and a lot of free parts to many of us (and some of those parts have been for used Heritages), yet we don't feel a need to support a bunch of Luthers?

Good arguement about a secondary market driving the primary market but I don't know what the time frame is on that model.

I think everyone here knows how I feel. I'm not going to preach to anyone, again truly it's your money.

I for one feel if Heritage makes the guitar I like, from a great bunch of guys that didn't sell out, (yea that was their choice) that I will support them.  And yes I think it is refressing that all they care about is building guitars and how they hand build, even though they should care a little more about the business side of things.

I would have a hard time calling the factory for help and asking for support of the HOC reunion, if I didn't feel like I was going to ever support them with a purchase of a new guitar (be it in the past or future).

Anyhow I'd like to read more opinions.

Now break over back to finishing the trip to Mecca!

Best,

Kuz

Again Kuz, you have a valid argument there, I can see your point. 8)

Haven't been to the factory myself  but the feeling I get by bein' on this forum and playin' their guitars (I only own one so far) is that Len - Ren or whatever the heck his name is and all the other boys workin' and runnin' Heritage are pure Craftsmen & Artisan's in the truest & purest sense of the word and, sorry to say it, a dyin' breed.

They deserve total respect. :wink:

We all know the harsh reality of life & bizniz and that sometime a man (or a company) has to do what is got to be done but in a way, although it does go against their interests, their "sloppiness" in the more rational side of doin' bizniz adds to the charm.

Let's face it; they've built THE Holy Grail's of Guitar, the most sought after and R-E-V-E-R-E-D guitars ever built, E-V-E-R!

They've refused to bend over to marketin' strategy's and "bizniz cheese" and decided to go their own way, and by doin' so they figuratively gave a lot o' "suits" the Middle Finger! >:D

They've, ON THEIR OWN TERMS, managed to carry on with a company that allowed 'em to build great and inspirin' guitars on a par with what they built 50 years ago....and that's a fact!

If that's not a sign of integrity, trustworthiness, capability and all in the irreverent Spirit of Rock'n'Roll, I dunno what it is!

Basically, they have nothing to prove at all; they're oooold folks, TOP LUTHIER's that have "done it all and seen it all" and done it better than most, may I add!

I take my hat off to them, play their guitars (which are better than most and in reality still among the very best available! :P) and if I can support 'em in any way I will!

It's a sign of RESPECT. 8)

Anybody disagrees? Screw 'em all!

Oftentimes in a middle of a session/gig I hear a particular TONE comin' out of my guitar that makes me go "Ohhhhhh...." and inspires me to play better; so far it has only happened with two of my guitars, a Jeff Beck-ized '54 Les Paul and my H150.

Support and RESPECT.

I support these guys for sure! I didn't even get pissed ( at least not that pissed) when my neck ended up twisted on my $1350 guitar. Sh*t happens and whats even better is they fixed it. They took care of me, and I will be taking care of them throughout the rest of my life. I don't know when I will be looking at another guitar. With that Gold H140 on its way, I HAVE to take a break for a while. For my marriage if nothing else. But when I do I will be looking at Heritage's for sure. A 535 or 555 is in my future and I told Rhen that when I picked up my guitar at the factory in March.

This is an interesting thread.

I have always bought guitars based on feel and tone, even vibe or a sense of what they could be. Ive only bought one guitar unseen. I probably wont do that again.

After playing lots or as many as possible of the model Im after, Ive always bought new.

I dont seem to make fickle purchases, I have never sold on any guitar Ive purchased, Ive only bought keepers. Ive also never repeated a purchase, I only have one of any type of guitar. I dont need lots of different strats etc.

I dont think Im really supporting any one manufacturer though as I only seem to make one off, long term purchases.

My guitars and amps are mine till I die. Im not sure I want somebody else's used cast offs.

I only see agreement and proof Capitalism can work extremely well. In this case study informed consumers purchase a superior product and develop brand loyalty which reinforces the marketing plans and values of the manufacturer. Everyone wins. If we can afford new, we can wait for a custom dream guitar or purchase from dealer stock. Used we settle for available models at market cost through one of the most efficient marketplaces ever invented. I was lucky to find a dealer with available stock and purchased new. We had a topic last week concerning pickup options. We have only three options which address three different requirements or desires.  In 1996 I purchased my first American automobile after feeling guilty by marketing pressure or someother factor having only owned European or Japaneses throughout out my life. Now I have a better idea of what its like being a dissatisfied consumer. Lesson learned. I strongly feel we need to show appreciation for quality and integrity and be willing to pay for it. Should we demand anything less, we encourage mediocrity. The cost of NOT having products we can trust in is unacceptable to me.   

I strongly feel we need to show appreciation for quality and integrity and be willing to pay for it. Should we demand anything less, we encourage mediocrity. The cost of NOT having products we can trust in is unacceptable to me.   

Yes to all that, this part in particular.

I prefer to buy things made up to a standard than down to a price and am happy to pay.

...In 1996 I purchased my first American automobile after feeling guilty by marketing pressure or someother factor having only owned European or Japaneses throughout out my life. Now I have a better idea of what its like being a dissatisfied consumer. Lesson learned. ...  

I had to learn this lesson to, but with a different moral.  I was raised in a GM household, my Dad loved Oldsmobiles and he passed that emotion to me.  So I was very strong with "buy American" sentiments until the cars became unreliable.  So I went to foreign makers for a little while, and the press exclaimed the quality was back in American cars, and to a point it was, at least much better than in the early 80s.  But after buying 2 GM vehicles, all made in foreign countries, I figured out that buying American could also mean a Toyota built in Kentucky.

I want to say that I lost two E-Bay bidding wars in a row where my limit was set at 1200 for a used Heritage. It was disappointing as everyone knows how it feels when after you start speculating on when the shipping arrival will be, boom, someone outbids you in the last second.

I saw a new Heritage out a music store and the bidding started at 1300. Luckily for me as a buyer-not as a seller the Amber Translucent isn't the most popular finish in the world. So I went for it know that a war would not be as likely-also considering bidding ended a 4:00am CDT-not the best planned auction, thats for sure.

So, I ended up buying new, BUT my first choice was used. My guitar collection is about 50% bought used and 50% bought new. Seems like a deals a deal, so it doesn't matter to me.

I have three Heritage guitars.

Two I bought from the same Heritage dealer, Jay, one used and one new.

The third I bought from a Heritage dealer in Galesburg MI.

I bought all of these guitars sight unseen and unplayed which is a pretty big leap of faith for anyone.

The fact that I'm left handed does play a major part in the availability of models to choose from, new or used.

To some extent I buy what I can get, not always what I want, I must have been extraordinarily lucky then as all three of my Heritage guitars are top notch instruments. I can say this with all honesty as I have many other electrics to compare them to - Gibson,Fender,G&L,MusicMan,ESP.

In fact I would buy another if there was one that I liked in stock with a Heritage dealer.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it really makes no difference to me if the instrument is used or new as long as I'm supporting the Heritage dealer network and the guitars are as advertised.

After all without a dealer network where would Heritage be ?

Jay probably does more promotion of the Heritage brand than the Heritage website.

Also to echo another point made in this thread if the choice is not there in new stock potential buyers have no option but to buy used instruments.

If I could place a custom order tomorrow and be guaranteed delivery in a reasonable time frame, say 4 months tops then I most certainly would go for it.

In fact I was looking at a custom guitar makers site last night and it is stated quite clearly that delivery is usually 16 weeks

Check out this site:

http://www.ricecustomguitars.20m.com/index.html

Each Rice Custom is different from every other. The balance is superb, the weight is comfortable. The tuning is stable under a variety of conditions. We offer them in different configurations, and can accommodate nearly anything you can think of. The electronics are top notch and reliable. We don't cut corners, because we are players and perfectionists. Turnaround time is ~16 weeks. Contact us via the internet, or give a call at (847)361-0968, and we will be happy to discuss your dream guitar. These are the ones you will keep for a lifetime.

They are a very small company who have actually realised that the internet is an amazing marketing tool.

Check this out

http://www.ricecustomguitars.20m.com/special.html

Progress Updates

Having a guitar custom built for you is a daunting thing for many people. We do our best to make it painless

through photos, e-mails, phone calls, and video clips of the finished guitar. Having a Rice Custom built for you

is an experience like no other in the music industry. These aren't mass produced GSOs (Guitar Shaped Objects),

but handmade works with personality all their own.

and this !

http://www.ricecustomguitars.20m.com/tour.html

How it works:

E-mail RiceCustom@gmail.com, with "TOUR" in the subject line. Include your valid phone number in the body text. We will contact you to make arrangements for shipping the guitar out to you, in your turn. There is no obligation to buy this guitar, in fact it is not for sale. You are encouraged to play it at home, at rehearsals, at a gig, basically put it through the paces and get to know it. Your only cost will be to ship it to the next location, which will be as minimal a cost as possible. You won't find anything like this unique guitar in a store, ever. We don't sell through shops or online brokers, so this is a cool way to find out how a custom made guitar sounds/plays for very low $$$. Thanks for reading this, and I hope you will participate. Any online comments or reviews are encouraged.

Would you sign up for a free trial of a Lollar equipped H-137 ? a H-157 with Seth Lovers ?

Hell yes !

Imagine what a good internet savvy marketing team could do for the Heritage brand !

Think how the brands history, location, and vibe could be promoted.

Heritage is every bit a custom guitar shop and in my opinion they should certainly promote this angle a lot more, guys would (should) be falling over themselves to get their hands on any Heritage, used or new.

/ end of rant.

Nice topic for discussion, I'm sure it will have many different replies with many different opinions.

Heritage guitars are such a good value on the used market, it's difficult to NOT buy used.  All but one of my five were bought used, and am currently lusting after a certain slightly used Roy Clark.  (Don't I wish!)

If someone wants a guitar built with specific or custom features, it is best to go new with Heritage.  Still a relatively good value compared to other custom shop quality guitars.

As far as supporting Heritage goes, I believe that each purchase, new or used does that in some way. 

Obviously they benefit directly when we purchase new.  However, when you take your USED Heritage out to a jam, gig or whatever, the brand is promoted by you.  In other words, you are still promoting the company.  I can't tell you how many players have asked me about these great instruments.  They then have to listen to my mini-history lesson about Kalamazoo, etc. and I become another Heritage commercial.  8)

Wasn't Heritage in trouble last summer because they had too much business?

I have bought 3 new Heritage guitars and 3 used.  My current stable is 2 new and 2 used. 

Both of the used guitars I have decided to keep would have had to be either custom ordered, the Gold 535 with Bigsby, or granted by an act of God, the 475.   

I live with a clear conscience.  :angel:

In the nearly 35 years that I've been around guitars a lot have passed through my hands, and a very small percentage of them have been new.  If you then take out the new ones that I've had access to at dealer's cost (cheaper than used for most quality instruments)  because I was employed in the biz, I'm down to only a couple of new guitars purchased at market price, the most expensive of which was the 535 I custom ordered from Wolfe.  I did order that guitar as a statement about my support of Heritage  --and because the price advantage over Gibson meant I could get a new custom-featured 535 within the ballpark of the going price of a used 335.  That's probably no longer true.

I don't see used guitars, especially electric guitars,  as cast-offs in the sense that they are sold because they are of poor quality; I see them as products of a market where many buyers of professional instruments are simply making a fashion or lifestyle statement, and when fashion or lifestyle trends change, those guitars return to the market, often nearly unplayed.  Electric guitar owners are famously fickle ..electric guys love a guitar one day, ready to try something new the next, unlike acoustic players who tend to settle into a relationship with a primary guitar.  So, to me, the price of a new electric guitar is sort of like the price of a new vehicle ...it includes a fashion or "ego" premium, and often a pretty substantial one (30% +).  (Don't mean to denigrate anyone else's choices. I'm talking about where I see value ... no truth claim.)  The "real" price to me is what a good, clean, fully functional used model will bring ... a one-year lease return, in automotive terms.  (Custom guitars are an exception.)

I understand the "appeal of the new" is a large part of the profit margin for dealers and manufacturers, but newness, in and of itself, has almost no appeal to me in assessing an instrument, and I don’t see how paying for the abstraction of “new” sends a sharper market signal than the more accurate measure of use value reflected by used.  I buy new trucks(once every 10-15 years) because I’m too stupid about automotive stuff to make a smart judgment about the quality of used … but I know I’m paying a very high price for my lack of knowledge and encouraging hype and advertising verses reliability and engineering.  I’m more confident in my ability to judge guitars, and the best measure, as Dick suggested, of highly prized guitars is the high price of used models.  (Check out Collins acoustics.  The used ones are very nearly on a par with the new.)

To bring this back to the discussion of Heritage: even if I had more money than I do, I don't think I would express my politics by paying a new-guitar premium to support a particular guitar manufacturer vs. increasing my charitable contributions to more directly and efficiently support those in real need.  Because of the particularly way that capitalism has functioned lately, there are more and more people in real need.

Sensitive topic and I'd like to post some updates to it when I get home tonight.

And it is good news!

OK, I might as well comment on this as well.

I have 3 Heritage H-150CM's, two bought new and one bought used. My Goldtop bought new from Jay Wolfe is great, deep smooth sound. My Vintage Sunburst bought used was a great deal, and, as it turns out, plays great, good midrange chunk, another great guitar.

However, the one that's the best guitar I ever played is my black-and-tan, custom ordered through Jay, with the plainest, hardest piece of maple available in the shop for the top. It weighs about a pound more than the other two, but has an incredible sound, plays everything the way I like it, fits perfectly in my hand, and I know I'll never find another like it. That one cost me more than the other two did, as I had to order it, but to say it was worth the money would be an understatement. Everyone who's played this guitar has agreed with me on the sound and playability.

I'm hoping to add another couple over the next few years, and they'll be more than likely new. The initial cost isn't really that much more than used, and if I keep them for 20 years, I got my money out of them.

I'd say, buy the one you want. If the one you want is new, buy it. If you can't afford it, get a second job for a couple months, play a few extra gigs, cut back on unnecessary expenses, and the usual things when you decide you MUST have something. You're not really out any extra money, you're just shifting it around some. I save $25 a week by packing my own lunch to work. Plus, I save an additional $10 on the gas that I'm not using going out for lunch. Cook more meals at home. If you don't cook, learn. When you want to go get a haircut, grow it out long for a year or so, and save yourself $25 every couple months. If you want a fast sports car, buy a small pickup truck and spend the difference on the guitar. There are ways to afford what you want, you just have to figure out the difference between what you want and what you need.

Heck, I'd be buying that Roy Clark model right now, but I just had 3 root canals and 3 crowns. There went my spending money for the next 6 months to a year, but if a deal like that pops up next year, I'm jumping on it. Well, either that or an H-137.... those Korina ones look SO nice to me, but I spent a LOT on gear last year and this spring.

rooster.

Hey rooster I really like your attitude !

I agree with a lot of your points. I have an overdose of guitars myself, primarily because I don't drink or smoke and I'm not into flash motors or foreign holidays etc.

So my spare cash goes on yet more musical gear.

When I buy a guitar I usually compare the amount spent to say a new PC or a two week holiday in the sun, those things do not last for twenty years and their value is nothing compared to the joy that a guitar will return every time it is played for years to come.

I have only one problem with your post ...  the haircut thing.

I could grow mine for five years and I still wouldn't qualify for a haircut  ;D

Business is business. I am not going to feel guilty about buying a used guitar. I buy local whenever possible. There is a local coffee shop I spend every dime I can at b/c I want to support a small business man instead of Starbucks. I try to buy at the small privately owned music store rather than GC or Sam Ash. But with something like a guitar, its hard enough to afford a big ticket item like that as it is. I don't think its unreasonable to buy or trade from a person if its what you want. I want to support Heritage. I host an open Jam on Wednesdays and every week I am telling the heritage story to my fellow musicians who ask about my axe. In my way I think I help. Down the road I am sure I will buy another used heritage but lets face it. These are heirlooms in my opinion and how many do you need in a lifetime?

Stupid question..  >:D

I have a feeling you guys have an answer for me on that and its more than one and less than 1,0000 ;D

I would just like to pose a question (or two)... related to the option of ordering a guitar as opposed to walking in to a shop and buying one off the shelf.

You walk into your local Heritage dealer and he has six H 150's for sale a mix of new and used. Obviously you try them all and buy the one you like the best. And you choose because each of them is likely to be different... True? Does it matter if it's used if it plays/sounds better?

Okay... So, if you order a Heritage and have it made for you then you loose the ability to pick the best one. And for each best one there are inevitably some "not so good" So how do you know if you've got a "best" a "worst" or just an "not so good".

Another good argument for buying used is that, supposing you buy wisely, you can re sell a guitar you are not happy with without financial loss and re invest in another. That's my philosophy... :wink:

Just some final thoughts about this matter.

1. I assure I was not trying to be insensitive to anyone who has less means to buy a new Heritage. I won't go into the last 3 years for me (from health issues wear I almost died, to being a product of corporate downsizing after 17 yrs at one company) and I feel truly fortunate and blessed to have the Heritage collection I have. I did sell alsmost all of my other guitars including some vintage pieces to get them. Times are tough now with the economy and used Heritage guitars are the best value available IMHO.

2. Wait time for orders & special orders- confirmed today. MUCH BETTER! Vince said obviously it depends on the guitar ordered (tricked out Archtop with different scale length, ect is now only 6 months. A solid body with upgraded wood and your color choice is now only 3 months.  Just basic color choice 2-3 months. AND VINCE WANTED TO BE CONSERVATIVE WITH THIS TIME FAME NUMBERS!) I can tell you my guitar was ordered March 4th and was finished ready for pickup a week ago!

3. Pickup choices- Remember Heritage is a CUSTOM SHOP. Any pickup is available. I got Lollar imperials in my new guitar for the same up charge as HRWs or Seth Lovers!

And as far as Hardware choices- Vince said if you want Tonpros locking bridge/stoptail, ect they will get it and credit you what they normally use.

4. Finally You can play new guitars- Wolfe guitars has a huge selection and if you are serious about buying, buy the guitar and you have 72 hour return policy!

Hope that helps. All I was saying is if you have the extra $200-400 for a new guitar why not support our boys, but ultimately it is your decision!

Archived