Heritage Owners Club

For the first time, I am depressed by my Cube

barrymclark

So, I came across a STELLAR deal on a single 12 extension cabinet. Hand made, solid wood and an Eminence 30w 8ohm. My Roland Cube stacked right on it! I mean... you just could get better. $50!

So, I plugged it all together. The Eminience sounded great! ...but... I noticed it wasn't any louder. In fact... there was no volume change at all.

Then it occured to me that NO sound was coming out of the Cube. That frickin thing is wired to cut off when an extension is plugged in! I could have sworn that it would stay on.

I gotta say, that is a design fail. Really, really a design fail.

Oh well.

If anyone comes across a STUPID cheap 212 (it ain't gotta be pretty. Just work) with low watt speakers, please let me know. To give you an idea of how cheap... they offered me a Line6 212 for $100 and I just couldn't do it. It was a good deal... and I just couldn't do it. I might have grabbed it at $75.

On the upside, I still think the internal speaker on the Cube sounds better than the Eminence. Which is saying something.

My Cube doesn't even have a jack for an output.

There's a lot of good things to say about Roland and a few negatives as well.

Truly, this one though... this negative is huge. In my research before buying, I could have sworn that it would stay on after being plugged into a cab. Oh well, still a stellar sounding amp.

Barry, you have the Cube 60, right? That's the only I've seen with an X-cab out. Manual says it should use both speakers. Maybe a call to Roland Tech Support before abandoning the Cube?

Guess I could have looked in your signature --- Cube 80x, I see.

Some amps have a switch to cut the internal speaker when plugged into the speaker out. the easiest fix is to put female blade connectors on one end of a speaker cable and hook it to the 2 extra prongs on the internal speaker of your combo. I'm not sure if the cube is close backed or not if so youmight have to make a hole in the back and then seal it back up. If you do have to do that then make sure you wire a female jack to plug into so you don't have to open it up every time you disconnect the external speaker. Coming from the internal speaker gives you parallel wiring so make sure your ohm load is right.

I'm by no means the amp guy on this board but this does work. I have done it before with no problems on amps that had no speaker out, and recently on my Valveking because it's speaker jack kills the internal speaker as well.

Truly, this one though... this negative is huge. In my research before buying, I could have sworn that it would stay on after being plugged into a cab. Oh well, still a stellar sounding amp.

I made the same mistake when I bought my Fender Super Champ XD. I swore the second output was for an extension cab, turns out its for a mixer or some other kind of power amp. Not very useful as I wanted to use its internal 1x10 with the KBP810 1x12 cab he made for me.

Archived