Heritage Owners Club

So how did Y'all coming to own a Heritage Guitar?

StevenTari

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not I first heard of Heritage guitars when I was on Ed Roman's old site when he was selling them. I read his reviews, (Which were stellar at that time) and began to dream of one day playing one. I am not a man of much means at all so the thought of ever owning one seemed pretty remote. One day I recieved a phone call from a local music store who knew of my appreciation of Washburn guitars. The guy had a used Washburn Boogie Street zebrawood in the store and thought of me. So I went down to see it. Lo and behold hanging next to it was a beautiful Heritage H-535. It is in a little rough shape but that was o.k. I picked it up and strummed. I felt the resonance clean thru my toes. The neck was absolutely made for me. It had an 800.00 dollar price tag. It had a headstock repair. I worked on him for a couple of weeks to get it down. I finally got the money together. It needs, a new nut, new bridge, a couple of new pots, , and I would love to be able to replace the SD performer pick ups with something better. Some might say I bought a turkey, but to me? nope, I love this guitar. I have never bonded with any Gibson like I have with this. I am working on getting the problems fixed, but when I get it done it will be killer. Then I am going to start to save for a used H 150 CM, that's my dream. They always say "go big or go home". Now if I could just hit that lottery!

I've been playing Heritage since about '92 or '93. I first heard about Heritage from my wonderful guitar teacher (Vince Bredice) in Miami, Fl. He used to bring in some pretty heavy guitarists down for jazz guitar workshops (like his student Joe Diorio, Jack Wilkins, and Tal Farlow). At the time, I had been playing a pretty killer Ibanez FG-100 hollow body. Vince had told us that for the upcoming workshop, with Jack Wilkins, there was going to be a guy coming that sells this brand of guitar called Heritage. He then told us the whole story about Heritage, and I was intrigued. When the day came, it was Jay Wolfe, and he must have brought about 20 of them, and they were all stunning. After playing a few, I knew that I had to get one. That Christmas, my wonderful parents bought me a new H-575. Next year, I got a new H-150 from Jay as well. Over the years, I also got a 535. The funny thing is that I eventually sold them all for other things, but have come full circle again and now own an H575 (just like my original one) a new H150 (better than my original one), and I've bought back my H535 twice (It's really my #1 now and I'll never sell it again!). I've always been fickle with my guitars, but I've finally realized that my Heritages really fit me.

I was always a Gibson fan, had 2 SG's, s Les Pauls, but always wanted a 335. I never had enough cash to get one, but back in the 80's I remember seeing Heritage guitars and finding out what they were. However, they soon disappeared from England and once in a very ling while a used one would turn up. I still wanted a 335, but they were getting silly money over here and I am not a particularly well off guy, all my spare money goes on the kids education. But over the last few years as my friendship with Peter Green (forum member) was developing, I learned he had two Heritage guitars, a beautiful 140 and a 575, both fantastic guitars, they just confirmed what I already knew, and that was that Heritage were making a better guitar than Gibson for less money.

Still short on cash, but I had a Les paul special with 2 P90's on it. a nice guitar, but nothing spectacular, when one october I walked into a shop I called on regularly and there was a 555 in natural, mellowing nicely, the ticket price was £900. It was still there on new years eve about five years ago so I called the shop, got it down to £800 (with Heritage case) and went to buy it. I bought it on the plastic and then waited while I sold the LP special for £780. So, that is how I got my 555. Just need to get a beautiful 150 with an amber top, and I will have found my own personal nervana...(not the band....)

Back when they first came out, I got to play one at Creative Music in Albuquerque (great shop!). It was fantastic, but I wasn't an LP guy, so I didn't buy it. About 6 or 7 years later, living in Phoenix, I came across a H170 in the classifieds. The guy had it in pawn, and to try it out and play it/buy it, I had to get it out of pawn for him. I went to the pawn shop, gambled $285, and came away with it. The headstock had been broken and repaired, but it was still a great guitar. Back in the mid 2000s, I got my first new one, a goldtop H150 from Jay. Then I custom ordered a black H150 through Jay, and later got a VSB H150 through a guy on the gear page. The goldy and the VSB are now equipped with Stetsbars, which work wonderfully, BTW. I hope to get at least one more H150 and a Millenium single-cut. Maybe some more, who can say? I just know that I love the way they play and sound, and I love the idea of people who went back, bought the factory, and created that company.

rooster.

Need some pic's of those 150's with the Stetsbar!

I was looking for a good guitar that had a mahogany body with a maple cap, a set neck, 2 humbuckers with a tone a volume for each. 24 3/4 in scale and a stop tail.

Tried lots and tried to love some of them.

Picked up a reddish looking version of what I was looking for and strummed a G chord, played a few licks the put it in its case and bought it home.

Turned out to be the Heritage H150cm I still have and love.

I was looking for a Zion telecaster to fill some sonic gaps my strat couldn't. A deal fell through, and I started entertaining other brands. I ended up at a Guitar Center, and my wife and sone patiently waited while a played a new Les Paul vintage pro. I liked the warm jazzy tones I got, liked the feel of the neck, and all seemed good until I played it unplugged. It felt like strings attached to a rock. No resonance. It sounded like nothing but the strings -thin, lifeless. So, off we went. I remembered an article on Dinosaur Rock Guitar's site about the ratio of bad to good Gibsons turned out, and decided to check out Heritage stuff. -I wanted a guitar Brent had for sale on TGP, an H170 custom, but would've had to part with a firearm to pay for it. My Zion dealer also sells Heritage, but he had none in stock. I finally kept checking the Bay Watch section of HOC and found the ad for the H150P in Plymouth Meeting, PA. I shot off an email to the store, they called and talked to my wife while I was at work, I had pics sent to me, and after talking to the salesperson myself I bought it. It came with its original case, and had very few dings. There was almost no corrosion on any of the hardware, and to my amazement, the pots didn't even crackle. It's a very nice guitar in all respects. I posted a couple pics on the "new member" sticky. No buyer's remorse here.

Archived