Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Millenium vs CP Thornton Professional

lachiron

Would they still do that? Meainng, arched back as opposed to flat?

Absolutely. Remember, Heritage is a custom shop.

I've seen three types of backs on these fine guitars: arched maple back Millies, flat back maple Millies (like mine), and flat mahogany back Millies.

Also, Heritage will make it solid, chambered, with or without F-holes, single cutaway or double cutaway if you desire.

Here are some Google photos of some of the many variations of Millenium or H-155's for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.google.co...sult_group&sa=X

The arched ones have f holes, which you may or may not care about.

Heritage is more flexible than Thornton in customizing.

I'd also suggest that you consider a H150 LW. That is a wonderful instrument that has overlap with the Millie. The Prospect is another good choice.

Shrill? Nothing about my Mille LE is shrill. I'm sure there are pickups out there that will make anything shrill, but even with the maple top, sides and back, it's well balanced, even a little more mellow than my 535. That's due to the Seth Lovers, vs the standard Schallers in the 535.

Now that I think about it, I have played a Thornton, a few years ago at the Spartanburg guitar show. He was there with about 5 guitars. The neck on the one I played was very nice. I liked the way the heal gave access to the upper frets.

Be wary of judging guitars via Youtube. First, its generally low resolution sound. Plus you can mike the same guitar and amp with 4 different mics at 2 different distances and have 8 different sounding guitars.

I've seen three types of backs on these fine guitars: arched maple back Millies, flat back maple Millies (like mine), and flat mahogany back Millies.

Also, Heritage will make it solid, chambered, with or without F-holes, single cutaway or double cutaway if you desire.

OK, that is good news. However, I have already ordered my millie w/o being aware of an option of arched maple back.

What I originally wanted was my H-575 with a much smaller size. I want a jazz box that is completely hollow and with sound holes and bracing inside the guitar. My H-575 has bracing inside...

I wanted a millie with a deeper rim, solid spruce top, completely hollow body and acoustic bracing inside.

Jay Wolfe said, a deeper rim is not possible. If the guitar is not that deep, solid spruce would not make much difference so I ordered a maple top.

Now, I am confused a bit. I am sure I can change my options around a bit since it will take a few months or even longer to get my guitar.

How different my guitar would sound if I changed

• Flat mahogany back, neck
  • carved maple top

to

• Carved maple spruce top
  • Carved maple back

I am also curious if they would the make a completely hollow millie with bracing inside?

I should ask these questions to Jay :)

Here are two maple Millie Eagle 2000s. The sound as good as they look. They are pleasingly on the bright side, yet sound great with the treble rolled off a little if you're in a jazz mood.

I don't know of a fully hollow small guitar that Heritage makes that isn't a laminate.

The best value for you might be the H150 LW. It has a carved maple top, is about as hollow as a Millie, and has a nice warm sound, probably due to the rosewood and the mahogany neck. Get it with Seth Lovers and it will sound great.

If you want a true hollowbody, you may want to consider a Gibson Johnny A. It's about the size of a Millie.

p1010005.jpg2.png

1.pnggallery_2472_317_160629.jpggallery_2472_317_96593.jpg

The pictured millie eagle looks wonderful. I wonder if they still make that.

I'll bet they will make one if you order it.

Here's my Johnny A. He signed this one on the pickguard, but it's wearing off. Not everyone likes the Johnny A, but it's a nice size with a great tone and feel. IMO, the Millies are better looking.

P4260097.jpgP4260092.jpg?t=1314120749P4260089.jpg?t=1314120684

But listen to it sing!

Here's Thornton's true hollowbody. It's probably a little larger than you want at 15" by 2 1/4".

2.jpg17.jpg

Archived