Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Valverb

bobmeyrick

Ever since getting the Ceriatone OTS, I'd been pondering what to do about the lack of reverb. I'd gigged it with the Intellifex, which was fine, but there's something about a real spring reverb... A bit of internet research revealed a possible solution - the Peavey Valverb. As a bonus there's a built in tremolo, but they're not very common. Lo and behold, one appeared on eBay with a starting price of £295, so I contacted the seller to see if the Valverb would work satisfactorily in the effects loop. He suggested I bring my amp to try it out, so on Sunday afternoon I drove down to Banbury (about 80 miles) with the amp and the H150CM.

The seller (Nigel) was a nice guy, with some nice amps, a load of effects pedals and some tasty guitars including a couple of Gretsches and a Les Paul. He also was into motorbikes and his garage contained some classic British bikes he was in the process of restoring. I spent a very pleasant hour or so trying out the Valverb with the Ceriatone - it was a good match, and Nigel was impressed with both the amp and the Heritage. At one point his wife came in to tell him there was an eBay message from someone making an offer. As I was about to leave he said the offer was £350, and I could have it for that if I wanted, as I'd made the effort to try it out - he felt it would be going to a good home! As there weren't any bids on it he was able to remove it from the auction. So today I went back down with the cash and picked up the Valverb. It really works well in the Ceriatone's loop, and looks really cool in its tweed enclosure.

post-1813-0-57078200-1321984484_thumb.jpg

Ever since getting the Ceriatone OTS, I'd been pondering what to do about the lack of reverb. I'd gigged it with the Intellifex, which was fine, but there's something about a real spring reverb... A bit of internet research revealed a possible solution - the Peavey Valverb. As a bonus there's a built in tremolo, but they're not very common. Lo and behold, one appeared on eBay with a starting price of £295, so I contacted the seller to see if the Valverb would work satisfactorily in the effects loop. He suggested I bring my amp to try it out, so on Sunday afternoon I drove down to Banbury (about 80 miles) with the amp and the H150CM.

The seller (Nigel) was a nice guy, with some nice amps, a load of effects pedals and some tasty guitars including a couple of Gretsches and a Les Paul. He also was into motorbikes and his garage contained some classic British bikes he was in the process of restoring. I spent a very pleasant hour or so trying out the Valverb with the Ceriatone - it was a good match, and Nigel was impressed with both the amp and the Heritage. At one point his wife came in to tell him there was an eBay message from someone making an offer. As I was about to leave he said the offer was £350, and I could have it for that if I wanted, as I'd made the effort to try it out - he felt it would be going to a good home! As there weren't any bids on it he was able to remove it from the auction. So today I went back down with the cash and picked up the Valverb. It really works well in the Ceriatone's loop, and looks really cool in its tweed enclosure.

Talk to KPB810..he can make you a sweet custom reverb unit..He's on the board almost everyday..

bobmeyrick, Just thought I'd mention in case your not aware or didn't receive the manual with the unit there's a reason there are two inputs (front & rear). The front input is instrument level which allows you to plug your guitar into the Valverb & then feed the output to the input of the amp (in case the amp has no loop). The rear input is line level so it can be used in the efx loop of any amp that has a loop. This makes it a very versatile unit that can be used with any amp you like, with or without a loop. I've had mine for over a decade now and it's one of the few units I have no intention of ever selling. Why these never caught on I'll never know cause IMO it's a great sounding natural spring reverb with a tremolo. BTW did you get the foot-switch with it?

bobmeyrick, Just thought I'd mention in case your not aware or didn't receive the manual with the unit there's a reason there are two inputs (front & rear). The front input is instrument level which allows you to plug your guitar into the Valverb & then feed the output to the input of the amp (in case the amp has no loop). The rear input is line level so it can be used in the efx loop of any amp that has a loop. This makes it a very versatile unit that can be used with any amp you like, with or without a loop. I've had mine for over a decade now and it's one of the few units I have no intention of ever selling. Why these never caught on I'll never know cause IMO it's a great sounding natural spring reverb with a tremolo. BTW did you get the foot-switch with it?

Thanks for that - though looking at the schematic (you can find anything on the internet!), the two inputs are connected in parallel. It seems that the rear input is for convenience, and it's disabled if the front input is used. I've downloaded the manual and I didn't get a footswitch, but I'll be building my own. I was particularly pleased that it came with the Tweed case.

Archived