Heritage Owners Club

Bill M mods to Blues Jr....IS IT WORTH IT?

Gitfiddler

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to this thread, but if an amp needs to be modded to sound right, why would someone buy it to begin with?

Why not get an amp that sounds good fro the start?

I am new to this thread, but if an amp needs to be modded to sound right, why would someone buy it to begin with?

Et tu, Brute?

John, the analogy I used earlier is how we buy guitars and replace the wiring (RS? hello?) and pickups (Throbaks?) but still bought the guitar. Why? It was a good platform otherwise, just needed tweaking to be great.

To me, that's why I bought my Blues Junior. I KNEW I would be having it modded. Maybe I bought into the hype a bit, but the mods took a solid EL84 small combo that sounded OK into an entirely different territory. Some may question the feasability of it financially, but that's a different arguement. Tim already HAD the Blues Junior, in a gorgeous cabinet to boot. To NOT mod it at this point made no sense to me at all. Likewise, Katy got her used Blues Junior for a steal at $200; C'mon, a Fender tube amp for $200?! Spending a little more to make it a much better amp makes sense to me.

On that note, Katy, I would also have the tech replace the plastic input jack with a quality Switchcraft jack. Pretty easy and cheap.

Et tu, Brute?

John, the analogy I used earlier is how we buy guitars and replace the wiring (RS? hello?) and pickups (Throbaks?) but still bought the guitar. Why? It was a good platform otherwise, just needed tweaking to be great.

To me, that's why I bought my Blues Junior. I KNEW I would be having it modded. Maybe I bought into the hype a bit, but the mods took a solid EL84 small combo that sounded OK into an entirely different territory. Some may question the feasability of it financially, but that's a different arguement. Tim already HAD the Blues Junior, in a gorgeous cabinet to boot. To NOT mod it at this point made no sense to me at all. Likewise, Katy got her used Blues Junior for a steal at $200; C'mon, a Fender tube amp for $200?! Spending a little more to make it a much better amp makes sense to me.

On that note, Katy, I would also have the tech replace the plastic input jack with a quality Switchcraft jack. Pretty easy and cheap.

Brian, I was not trying to be a smart ass, I guess I am closer to getting your point. I do change preamp tubes to change the amps tone... so I guess I would say that is more in line with changing caps or pickups in your guitar analogy. I guess I feel that you are changin the true DESIGN of the amp through mods, more like if you sent a guitar in to have it chambered when that is not what the original luthier intended.

Again, I am trying to be open minded on the topic so maybe I just don't understand the difference from tone shaping and design modification.

Either way it's all cool.... just want to learn.

Et tu, Brute?

Also, Bill M has done all the research and testing for these mods. He sells the kits pretty cheap and they have decent instructions. I would guess many amps could benefit from some modding, but how many average users could figure out what to do? In the case of the Blues Jr, the hard part is already done.

Stock, they are decent as is.

That is a perfectly logical question. Here's the deal.

I bought the BJ new when they were first introduced back in the late 90's for way under $300. It was a fine little amp, especially since it was the only amp I had at the time...and I wasn't playing out. After starting to gig again, I needed something to compete with a drummer, which started my Amp Gas.....Boogie Mk IV, Peavey Delta Blues 15, Fender Deluxe, Blues Deluxe, Concert, Heritage Patriot, etc., etc., etc......ALL of them sounded so much better than the Blues Jr!!

At some point before my Amp Acquisition Syndrome kicked in, I ran across this cabinet builder in Tennesee, and ordered his top of the line Imperial model for around $250. Now it looked fantastic and sounded...meh, compared to my other amps.

All through this thread I bounced back and forth about spending one more penny on my old Jr. Everyone who had the mods dones seemed happy with the improvements. Now, I ain't rich, but have no intentions of selling this little amp, especially since it looks so cool. So what, I have a few dollars into it. The good news is that I just met an amp tech that is less expensive than my old amp dude. So what the hell, let's upgrade this old amp and really enjoy it.

I told the amp dude to have his way with the amp, upgrading whatever he felt was best. He's cool and cheap and looking forward to the challenge of pleasing a new customer. I gave him all of the Bill M mods in a folder to work from. This should be fun. Best of all, the amp will be played and enjoyed again. This is not logical thinking...but fun nonetheless. :icon_salut:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Brian, I was not trying to be a smart ass, I guess I am closer to getting your point. I do change preamp tubes to change the amps tone... so I guess I would say that is more in line with changing caps or pickups in your guitar analogy. I guess I feel that you are changin the true DESIGN of the amp through mods, more like if you sent a guitar in to have it chambered when that is not what the original luthier intended.

Again, I am trying to be open minded on the topic so maybe I just don't understand the difference from tone shaping and design modification.

Either way it's all cool.... just want to learn.

I know, John. You know I respect your opinion. But for Champagne taste on a beer budget, and, especially if someone already has the unit (they sold a butt-load of these things!) but now knows it could be made to sound a LOT better for a little more money, it's a nice option to have. I got hooked on getting one after reading through the massive, now over 10 year old, Blues Junior Mafia thread over on the Fender Discussion Page site. BillM soon entered the discussion, and was ovbiously the premier authority on everything Blues Junior. I bought mine for around $300, and kept it stock for awhile, and it was OK. Somewhat boxy sounding, which many people say cannot be fixed because of the small cab it comes in. I disagree. I did more of the mods than many people, (expensive Heyboer Output Transformer was about $100 just for the part! most don't do this mod because it's so much more than the basic mods that are supposed to make the most difference, but I'm not that bright, haha) and, unfortunately, did all of the changes at once, including an Eminence Texas Heat speaker. Hell, I'd BETTER like this thing now, because there is no way I could ever sell it for close to what I have in it! Well, thank goodness, I feel it was worth it, for ME. It was fun to see the transformation in tone, and it's fun to see much better players than I start to play it, and see the looks on their faces at how stinkin' loud and good this little guy is!

If you are interested, take a look at the link Git posted. Lots of good info on it on the FDP site, too.

Okay - I'm gonna weigh in. I just brought home my FBJr from the amp guy tonight - and what a difference! The amp sounds way more open, crisper, and a usable mid control - which I REALLY like - I can get all sorts of tones with that thing. Both my strat and humbucker-loaded H 535 sounded great through it. Reverb tank wasn't broken. And I found out it's a 1997. Here's what he did:

1. Reverb tank - fixed internal lead wires, (2) Modify tone stack to BF Twin specs. Leave mid control at 25k for wider control range. (3) Power supply (headroom) mods. Reduce power supply feed resistors values and increase power rating. (4) upgrade screen grid resistors to Flameproof 1W types. (5) Adjust bias to 25mA (340Vplate), (6) check output power - okay at 15W into 8 ohms beore clipping. (7) minor vinyl repair at front of amp; (8) clean pots and jacks; and (9) clean dust and debris.

all for only $100. Altogether, for $300 I have a great amp, with real nice tone and and wonderful blues breakup when I push it. And it's light, at 34 lbs, which I need.

I really didn't know what 'boxy' was until, after playing the FBJr for awhile, I then plugged into my Epi half stack and in comparison, it did sound like it had a blanket over it. So, I'd say I have a good sounding amp, right now, and I think I'm picky when it comes to sound.

Schundog - thanks for the suggestion on input jack - it looks like I have a good one, - its not plastic, and seems real sturdy so, I think it's okay.

Guitfiddler, I'd say the upgrades are worth it -- especially since you have that beautiful cab.

• 3 weeks later...

BillM Mod UPDATE:

OK, the new amp dude and I discussed what I wanted in advance. Basically I handed him a folder filled with BillM Mod information I pulled off of his website. Then I pulled the cover off of my amp. After he caught his breath, I told amp dude that I want my USA made green board Blues Jr. to sound as good as it looks. He said he would read all of the materials and do what it takes, and assured me that I would be pleased. I did give him some basic recommendations, like the twin tone stack mods, midrange mod and a few other suggestions, but I left the technical stuff to him.

He called me last Saturday after only a week in his home shop, and left a very excited message for me. I went something like this..."...Hi Tim, man, I can't believe how f***ing great your Blues Jr. sounds! Man, it is so f***ing bad a$$, you are gonna f***ing love this thing! Call me!"

OK, he was a little excited.

I went to pick it up and he had another guitar buddy over (both were killer rock/metal players), cranked up the amp, plugged in an Ibanez RG pointy headstock gitfiddle and proceeded to blast Marshall-esque, Fender Deluxe-ish tones and more from this LOUD and TONEFUL amp!

Amp dude said..."This sounds f***ing fantastic, don't it!"

I said..."WHOA!" "What exactly did you do?"

Twin tone stack mod

Bass cap increase/upgrade to Orange Drop

Jumper wire mods on green board (C20's replaced with 470Pf cap)

Replace RS6 with 330k resistor

Mid control mod/upgrade to Orange Drop

Reverb cap mod

Input jack upgrade to Switchcraft

Solder jumper directly to preamp input resister

OK, I don't know what the hell any of that crap means, but all I can say is WHOA Baby, this amp is singing louder and more open, clear, toneful, more bass, more useable midrange, and it sounds f***ing bad a$$!

Once again, thanks for all of your encouraging me to do this final mod to my old Blues Jr.

A speaker swap might come down the road, but for now, I'm just going to wail on this NEW amp!!

post-8-0-17665500-1321998726_thumb.jpg

BillM Mod UPDATE:

OK, the new amp dude and I discussed what I wanted in advance. Basically I handed him a folder filled with BillM Mod information I pulled off of his website. Then I pulled the cover off of my amp. After he caught his breath, I told amp dude that I want my USA made green board Blues Jr. to sound as good as it looks. He said he would read all of the materials and do what it takes, and assured me that I would be pleased. I did give him some basic recommendations, like the twin tone stack mods, midrange mod and a few other suggestions, but I left the technical stuff to him.

He called me last Saturday after only a week in his home shop, and left a very excited message for me. I went something like this..."...Hi Tim, man, I can't believe how f***ing great your Blues Jr. sounds! Man, it is so f***ing bad a$$, you are gonna f***ing love this thing! Call me!"

OK, he was a little excited.

I went to pick it up and he had another guitar buddy over (both were killer rock/metal players), cranked up the amp, plugged in an Ibanez RG pointy headstock gitfiddle and proceeded to blast Marshall-esque, Fender Deluxe-ish tones and more from this LOUD and TONEFUL amp!

Amp dude said..."This sounds f***ing fantastic, don't it!"

I said..."WHOA!" "What exactly did you do?"

Twin tone stack mod

Bass cap increase/upgrade to Orange Drop

Jumper wire mods on green board (C20's replaced with 470Pf cap)

Replace RS6 with 330k resistor

Mid control mod/upgrade to Orange Drop

Reverb cap mod

Input jack upgrade to Switchcraft

Solder jumper directly to preamp input resister

OK, I don't know what the hell any of that crap means, but all I can say is WHOA Baby, this amp is singing louder and more open, clear, toneful, more bass, more useable midrange, and it sounds f***ing bad a$$!

Once again, thanks for all of your encouraging me to do this final mod to my old Blues Jr.

A speaker swap might come down the road, but for now, I'm just going to wail on this NEW amp!!

post-8-0-17665500-1321998726_thumb.jpg

Actually, from reading your post, looks like Bill has added a few new mods since I did mine, more mods may be on the horizon for me. Did you do the standby switch? I find that one very practical. What speaker have you got in yours?

Actually, from reading your post, looks like Bill has added a few new mods since I did mine, more mods may be on the horizon for me. Did you do the standby switch? I find that one very practical. What speaker have you got in yours?

No, I didn't have him do the standby mod. I asked about it and he recommended against drilling another hole in the chassis unless I planned to gig with the amp or leave it on for hours and hours. This amp will never see the inside of a bar.

The original Fender/Eminence speaker is in it now...and sounds great. I do have a few nice speakers that may eventually see the inside of the BJ.

Archived