Heritage Owners Club

Vox AC30VR

barrymclark

I just came across these. Now, I once owned an AC50CP2. There were some things about that amp that were just sick. I mean.. WOW. Other things it was intended to do... not so much. That being the overdrive channel. From the demos that I have seen, it would appear that this 30w has addressed that issue.

The other issues I had with my old Vox was the roughly 90lbs weight. My knees are bad and that was just killing me. This model cuts that weight almost in half.

One of the other, other issues I had with the old Vox was that the quality of build in its electronics were kinda iffy. Sometimes the channel indicator lights would be on... sometimes not. The jacks were super loose holding the guitar cables.

Anyone here have any experiences with this one? I LOVED the sounds on the demos... but those are demos being with the products being put in the best possible light.

Have you considered a Frenzel "V Clone"? That's not what he calls them, but he makes amps "inspired" on Vox amps that sound great, too. And he's a nice guy to deal with, too.

I've played them in stores, only. No real world experience with this Vox model. Plenty of live time with an AC30 and AC15. Love them both.

Btw, the AC50 .... not Vox's shining moment in amps. Tried to love that one many times. The weight, the bad OD ... same things you've described.

When it comes to demo's, always look for people who own them not just demo a new one then go onto the next. Older videos are good too because you can ask the demonstrator how they feel about the amp now that they've had it awhile. I did that with the Bugera V22 I had briefly. From what I could get, that amp had a 50/50 shot of being a good amp. Many sub $1k tube amps out there are made with PCB boards and micro components making them subjective to overheating issues that can damage the boards as well as unrepairable component failures. That's honestly why buying an amp like what KBP offers is such a great idea. He uses the best components he can find and they are assembled using point to point wiring, no PCP micro-boards. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll have an amp that will last years if not decades. Just look at how many old tube amps from the 50's and 60's are still in high demand today. They weren't PCB micro-boards, they were hand wired, point to point amps. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Why buy a questionable amp when you can spend a little more and get a quality long term amp?

Guest HRB853370

When it comes to demo's, always look for people who own them not just demo a new one then go onto the next. Older videos are good too because you can ask the demonstrator how they feel about the amp now that they've had it awhile. I did that with the Bugera V22 I had briefly. From what I could get, that amp had a 50/50 shot of being a good amp. Many sub $1k tube amps out there are made with PCB boards and micro components making them subjective to overheating issues that can damage the boards as well as unrepairable component failures. That's honestly why buying an amp like what KBP offers is such a great idea. He uses the best components he can find and they are assembled using point to point wiring, no PCP micro-boards. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll have an amp that will last years if not decades. Just look at how many old tube amps from the 50's and 60's are still in high demand today. They weren't PCB micro-boards, they were hand wired, point to point amps. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Why buy a questionable amp when you can spend a little more and get a quality long term amp?

DB just got another commission check!

Nah. I actually love the sound of Vox amps. There is just something to their voicing I think is just sick.

I once demo'd an AC15 with a cheap mexi tele, and the tone was fantastic! there were operational issues, i can't recall exactly what, but something wasn't working. and yes, large, very heavy.

then you'll like what Brian is making now. Also the reason why I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah. It really will be something. I am excited about getting the test chassis. I can't build the boxes really until I have the chassis in hand. I will be very, very cool. ... and LOUD!

I'd love to get my hands on a Vox classic gain stage in a box. This one will no longer have a pregain.

As it stands, it will be BMT EQ, volume, reverb, switchable impedance. Two speaker outs. I will have two speaker boxes one loaded with a Private Jack and the other with a Canis Major.

Yeah. It really will be something. I am excited about getting the test chassis. I can't build the boxes really until I have the chassis in hand. I will be very, very cool. ... and LOUD!

I'd love to get my hands on a Vox classic gain stage in a box. This one will no longer have a pregain.

As it stands, it will be BMT EQ, volume, reverb, switchable impedance. Two speaker outs. I will have two speaker boxes one loaded with a Private Jack and the other with a Canis Major.

I'm not talking about the Starlite... I'm talking about the new chasis he just bought. Different animal.

• 2 weeks later...

In recent weeks I've tried out 6 Vox amps, AC15, AC30C1, AC30C2. Four of them had problems. Tone controls that didn't work, Reverb not working, sound cutting in an out. Five of these amps were new. They are made in China. I expect that the Valve Reactor series is as well. The UK hard wired versions are much more expensive. There are Vox clone makers that might make a more reliable product (Valvetech, etc.) They will cost more than the Chinese Vox products.

In recent weeks I've tried out 6 Vox amps, AC15, AC30C1, AC30C2. Four of them had problems. Tone controls that didn't work, Reverb not working, sound cutting in an out. Five of these amps were new. They are made in China. I expect that the Valve Reactor series is as well. The UK hard wired versions are much more expensive. There are Vox clone makers that might make a more reliable product (Valvetech, etc.) They will cost more than the Chinese Vox products.

Guitar Denter floor models?

Archived