Heritage Owners Club

Today is one of those days that I really miss my old...

barrymclark

Didn't Peavey quite making them and now there is an actual brand name 5150 amp? Does Eddie own that company?
yeah. Haven't tried one of his but I'm not fond of the Peavey 6505 which replaced the 5150 line. Never played a 5150-II amp though.

Original 5150's are for sale on Ebay quite often.

What was it about that amp that made it special to you, Barry?

It was a couple of things. One.... it was just such a good sounding high gain amp. It breathed.

It was also part of my brush with playing music for a living from 19-21 years old.

(see http://www.myspace.com/damnageband and play The Advocate and/or Who is your God for the recording of my 5150. The other guitarist also had a 5150 halfstack)

By 20, I had lawyers going back and forth between us and label during negotiations. Had my own guitar techs. Some shows had my own security. Had our own lighting and sound guys. We were recording in high end studios frequently used by Warner Bros. The 5150 saw all of that.

I see the original 5150's and the 5150 II's for sale around here often. A guitarist in the old band that I replaced had the 2x12 combo of that amp. That thing was loud. Peavey now calls them the 6505's. Eddie now works with Fender and has the EVH 5150 amp line up to go with his guitars...

I see the original 5150's and the 5150 II's for sale around here often. A guitarist in the old band that I replaced had the 2x12 combo of that amp. That thing was loud. Peavey now calls them the 6505's. Eddie now works with Fender and has the EVH 5150 amp line up to go with his guitars...

Yeah. I am not exactly looking to replace it. No matter what I get, it won't be THAT amp.

Funny enough, my Cube does a pretty good representation of that old 5150 sound. The gain only need to be on about 4 to FEEL it.

While shopping for a new amp, I almost purchased a Peavey Classic 50, but I don't need 2x12 50 watt. Just too much amp and way too heavey.

Oh yeah, my old 5150 was heavy as hell. haha. ...and that was just the head! I can't even IMAGINE what the 5150 2x12 combo weighed. haha.

For all that, I will keep my Cube. No one will know the difference on recording. haha.

Archived