Heritage Owners Club

FX pedalboard advice needed

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

My FX pedal board currently consists of 6 Boss pedals-an AC-1 acoustic simulator, a DS-1 distortion, a BD-2 blues driver, a CS-3 compression sustainer, an FRV-1 reverb, and a TU-3 tuner. I want to replace the DS-1 with another Boss stompbox, but I am unsure of what to buy. The BD-2 does everything I need to get a hard driving blues crunch through any of my amps and the DS-1 does not seem to offer anything that the BD-2 does not already provide.

Any recommendations? I need the stompbox to have the same footprint as the Boss if I am to use another brand.

post-2130-0-26318700-1323434922_thumb.jpg

My favorite stompbox is the Boss Power Stack ST2. This is essentially, a Marshall in a box. It turned my KBP RD amp into a Marshall amp. I'm able to get Angus Young like tones from it. You can find them used for $60. The blues driver is a decent pedal as is the DS1. Keeley has some great mods for both to make them world class stompboxes. Not to expensive if I recall.

Guest HRB853370

My favorite stompbox is the Boss Power Stack ST2. This is essentially, a Marshall in a box. It turned my KBP RD amp into a Marshall amp. I'm able to get Angus Young like tones from it. You can find them used for $60. The blues driver is a decent pedal as is the DS1. Keeley has some great mods for both to make them world class stompboxes. Not to expensive if I recall.

I will check out that power stack since I dont own a Marshall amp and I am not about to EVER buy a modeling amp.

I will check out that power stack since I dont own a Marshall amp and I am not about to EVER buy a modeling amp.

Never say ever. There may be a time that their sounds surpass, in your ears, what you had grown to love up to this point. May even get to where their reliability is as high if not higher.

I'd say the future of 'modeler' amps isn't in the classic modeler mode like Line6 and Johnson made famous.. but more the way Egnater has approached it. Where flipping switches changes the way the hardware interacts to get a vintage American tone, classic American tone, a Modern American tone, classic and Modern british tones. Definitely doable as evidenced by Egnater. If the interest in the Tweaker takes off, you will see other makers do their own take on it. It will certainly make such an amp more tasty to the average guitarist.

That's my two cents though.

Get on that Brian. haha.

I believe the DS-1 is a high distortion box. It should give you more distortion than what you're getting out of the blues driver. if you don't need high distortion, than, why replace it with anything? You don't do high distortion, do you?

Delay, tremolo or chorus if all you gain levels are met already. Or a GE-7 for a slightly different sound or a fat solo boost.

Or back the gain down on both the BD and the DS so you have two different low gain sounds and stomp on the both for a higher gain sound.

I have three od stomps on my board all with very little gain but two run at the same time gives me a nice higher gain rock sound with clarity.

Guest HRB853370

Never say ever. There may be a time that their sounds surpass, in your ears, what you had grown to love up to this point. May even get to where their reliability is as high if not higher.

I'd say the future of 'modeler' amps isn't in the classic modeler mode like Line6 and Johnson made famous.. but more the way Egnater has approached it. Where flipping switches changes the way the hardware interacts to get a vintage American tone, classic American tone, a Modern American tone, classic and Modern british tones. Definitely doable as evidenced by Egnater. If the interest in the Tweaker takes off, you will see other makers do their own take on it. It will certainly make such an amp more tasty to the average guitarist.

That's my two cents though.

Get on that Brian. haha.

NEVER. Too old school here.

NEVER. Too old school here.

Personally, I prefer power drills to hand drills. ;)

One of those agree to disagree sort of things. :D

I love best examples of old school sound... but not the inconsistency.

I'd prefer simplicity and consistency of quality of make over anything. If those are met... I don't really mind what class of amp it is. Whether it is solid state, tube, modeler. Whichever. :D

I like the Ibanez Tube Screamer..it's the one pedal thats always on my board..Plus you can get one brand new for $99..

Delay, tremolo or chorus if all you gain levels are met already. Or a GE-7 for a slightly different sound or a fat solo boost.

Or back the gain down on both the BD and the DS so you have two different low gain sounds and stomp on the both for a higher gain sound.

I have three od stomps on my board all with very little gain but two run at the same time gives me a nice higher gain rock sound with clarity.

I like that idea of the two OD's running together, except that when I'm getting ready to solo I don't have time to hit 2 pedals.. Might work well for recording though..Hmmm..you got me thinkin..(Yeah I know it's scary.. :icon_santa: )

Yeah I vote for a delay, you can find a lot of uses for a good delay. If you don't need another distortion/ drive then don't get one just to fill an empty space.

If you're willing to try something different you might like to check out a BYOC OD2. It has the normal TS sound plus two more variants, can be set to an almost clean boost, and has a second channel for an added volume boost. It's slightly bigger than a Boss but not by much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYS5mVWmhIY&feature=related

My FX pedal board currently consists of 6 Boss pedals-an AC-1 acoustic simulator, a DS-1 distortion, a BD-2 blues driver, a CS-3 compression sustainer, an FRV-1 reverb, and a TU-3 tuner. I want to replace the DS-1 with another Boss stompbox, but I am unsure of what to buy. The BD-2 does everything I need to get a hard driving blues crunch through any of my amps and the DS-1 does not seem to offer anything that the BD-2 does not already provide.

Any recommendations? I need the stompbox to have the same footprint as the Boss if I am to use another brand.

Maxon tube screamer!

Archived