Heritage Owners Club

Timmy

JeffB

Cool, I know you have gone through quite an array of pedals in your search.

More than I ever let on. The Timmy has been on order for a while so I blazed through quite a few while waiting. Some are just complete duds that I cant imagine a use for and others not what I want for gigs but might be cool if I ever get inspired to write and record weird songs again.

Ha! I've been thinking of getting another OD pedal. I'd firmly decided that the bad monkey was all I need, if that. But on reading thru some tgp posts and this one youtube in particular that goes thru something like 30 pedals I started weakening. It's a slippery slope. And Timmys get great net praise and on that youtube vid as well.

And in the back of my mind I think 'well, Jeff's been going thru the exploratory pedal phase and hasn't exactly shouted Eureka!,.. so Randy (I says to myself) Beware the Hype'.

But I did add one to my xmas wish list. One that I can't play before hand, is kinda premium priced, gets good net praise, all that stuff. Not a Timmy, but kinda that realm.

Congrats, Jeff - good to hear that the Timmy is working for ya!

I cant give a real meaningful review of the Timmy. I havent tried it amongst drums and keys yet. Till Ive heard it in the band mix while playing Mustang Sally I cant really comment too much.

Also the way I intend to use it and have been fooling around with it is just a subtle bump on the sound I already have. Im not using it to radically alter the sound and gain of the amp Im using.

Its going into a Fender Concert II that doesnt break up, its just a big clean sound. The Timmy is set a few db(probably 3db coz 3db is good) above unity with the amp with just a little gain. The treb and bass on the Timmy are set to just enhance/take away/ put back frequencies that get a little flattened by pushing the amps pre a little harder. The Timmy will be on all the time. My clean sound wont be a pristine clean but can be by rolling back the guitar volume a little. The Timmy lets you achieve that control.

Running it this way it just makes the amp sound "more". Also feels really good. Lots of touch sensitivity and makes the amp more dynamic and responsive and all the other usual descriptors.

It works really well with other stomps. Some of the mud and compression problems I was having by stacking stomps to get different levels of gain have almost gone and with a little more tweaking I think will be a problem no more. Im still figuring out the order I want to arrange the other drive/gain/od stomps. Before or after the Timmy yields slightly different results. Both good.

I thought I was getting some good sounds out of the Concert with the stomps I was using and was quite happy. The Timmy sort of unexpectedly changed what I had but in a really good way. The clarity is welcome. Im hoping that it isnt ice picky in a band mix. Pretty sure it wont be, its quite adjustable.

Ive only tried it through the Fender and a very briefly through a Peavey Classic 50.

But I did add one to my xmas wish list. One that I can't play before hand, is kinda premium priced, gets good net praise, all that stuff. Not a Timmy, but kinda that realm.

Oh no!! I hope I dont want that one as well when you do a review.

If you still have a Zendrive try it with the Timmy.

Done. The Zendrive has found a spot on the board!!

Timmy= rhythm

Zendrive= lower gain lead. ie: mustang sally, (play that)funky music etc

Just trying to figure out whether I like the Zendrive before or after the Timmy

Jack Zucker did some very thorough & admirable demos on Youtube of the Tim pedal

Greg V has a dandy of the Timmy

PaulC the builder has warned BF Fender owners away from them, but...

and there's a kind of Heritage connection in that PaulC was the designer & builder of the Heritage amps (but a different company from Heritage guitars)

Who is this? Where is it from? I have seen this!

Why that's Tim the Enchnater from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's where Paul C came up with the name for the "Tim" pedal of which the "Timmy" pedal is the smaller version. I seriosly wanted to do a Tim decal on my Tim pedal before I even knew that's where Paul got the name.

Why that's Tim the Enchnater from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's where Paul C came up with the name for the "Tim" pedal of which the "Timmy" pedal is the smaller version. I seriosly wanted to do a Tim decal on my Tim pedal before I even knew that's where Paul got the name.

Really?! I did not know that! I wish there was an action figure of that Tim the Enchanter dude. It would look cool on my desk.

Tim

is nice, I like.

That's great Tully, I've been thinking about trying one if you like it as hard as you are on effects I might have to try one.

I just had to buy a new wah though so gonna have to wait a bit.

Done. The Zendrive has found a spot on the board!!

Timmy= rhythm

Zendrive= lower gain lead. ie: mustang sally, (play that)funky music etc

Just trying to figure out whether I like the Zendrive before or after the Timmy

Holy crap, did the Timmy make the Zendrive a usable pedal or had you already warmed up to it?

That's great Tully, I've been thinking about trying one if you like it as hard as you are on effects I might have to try one.

I just had to buy a new wah though so gonna have to wait a bit.

Im using it tonight at a gig for the first time so I guess i will know for sure some where in the middle of the 1st bracket if its working or not. We dont have the luxury of band practice because of distances between us.

It has changed the sound and feel of the over all rig that Ive been slowly putting together. Im taking the previously used stomps just in case the new sound doesnt gel with the band sound. I have lost some of the smokey mids that I like. I guess by smokey mids I mean the honk of a tube screamer type pedal. Im not sure though. The Timmy has made the sound more strident and forward. I think its still smooth enough though.

Holy crap, did the Timmy make the Zendrive a usable pedal or had you already warmed up to it?

I had already started liking the Zendrive but couldnt make it work in the set up I had. It was all right for noodling at home for something things.

Its just a solo pedal, I cant make it sound right for rhythms so its pretty limited in its appeal and usefulness to me but with the timmy as rhythm I can use it for a few single note things. The trouble with the ZD for me is the way it reacts when I do a phrase that has you doing pedal point, double stop or chordal things. It can get messy and undefined.

So pretty much a new sound tonight, no way to really ease either of these stomps into the existing set up I had.

All this makes me appreciate the Fender Concert II all the more. It has the ability to be what you want it to be by taking stomps so well.The only amp controls I use on it is vol, treb, bass and presence. Every other amp I have dictates the sound I get, the Concert lets me fool around and make other stuff happen. It just kinda amplifies what I put in front with out resistance, colouring and mush. Its almost like an analogue modelling platform when combined with different stomps.

My idea of tones and sound could be pretty whack so I wouldnt put too much weight on any of my pedal reviews. I seem to dislike many stomps others like and find unpopular stomps very useful. I was going to do a review on the stomps Ive tried over the last little while but when I tried to word it I realised that the review was only any good to me. Meaningless to anyone that doesnt set there rig up the same as me, or play in the same band.

I guess I'm pretty happy with what I have for now. I use the OCD a lot, set to a volume boost with just a bit of gain, and the direct drive set just a little bit more gain and it has more of a dirty vintage flavor. I also use the MXR Micro amp quite a lot to boost solos and drive the amp just a bit. I keep it set slightly above unity. I think the Timmy could take the place of the Micro amp and maybe be a upgrade with more tonal possibilities. The rest of the stuff on my board is just used from time to time for certain songs, delay,chorus, trem, and phase. It's the drives and the wah that seem the most important to me.

Anyways, glad you finally got the Timmy and it's working for you so far!

Hey Tully, I've found that my Zendrive sounds best in the second channel of my Concert. That may be due to the additional EQ available on Ch2.

It really is about tweaking for the sound you hear in your head. I'd sure like to hear and fool around with a Tim or Timmy pedal!!

Well.....ok...so I gigged with it.....ahem....going to have to do a bit of back pedalling.

It wasnt a raging yee haa type of success. It wasnt a complete fail. I didnt use it exactly as I thought I would.

The original intention was to have it on all the time set just to above unity with the amp to give me a fuller just breaking up sound. At home it sounded like it might work quite well. At the gig it was not going to happen. I tweaked for a couple of songs but could hear it wasnt going to happen so I ended up using the Xotic BBPreamp in its place and then sending the timmy into it for a nice bluesy low gain solo boost. The BB preamp wasnt the exact sound/gain I wanted but it sounded closer than the timmy. I also used the Zendrive as a solo boost a couple of times and liked it also. The keyboard player commented that he like the guitar sound on a song that I used the Zendrive on so I guess it mustve sounded alright.

Ive had quite a dismal success rate in selecting pedals which probably indicates I dont really know what I want...... I do know what I want to hear but seems like Im struggling to recreate it in the real world.

Even though I know the sounds Im getting are alright and actually not bad, theyre not quite the sounds I want to hear.

I had a good high energy gig with a big, responsive, energetic and enthusiastic crowd. We played well. I enjoyed it a lot. I like the people I play with very much.

All is good.

Archived