Heritage Owners Club

Barry's Saturday Lunch-tone Shootout

barrymclark

I used an Ibanez hollowbody. I don't recall the model but it cost about $400. So.... take it for what it is worth.

I ran all three heads through a Marshall MC212 cab (not a fan of Celestions but it is what they had readily available).

Up first, Jet City's American designed, Chinese built JCA20H. WHOA! TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE. Their site says, "If you want to play smooth jazz, buy someone else's amp". Someone needs their ears fixed. I played Vince Lewis' rendition of Do I Love You and it was just wonderful. I dimed the master volume and used the gain control for overall volume control. I must have played for 30 minutes before it occured to me that I needed to move on to something else I know the sound of to really get a sound of the amp with a different guitar.

Next, back to the British designed, Chinese built Marshall Class 5. Again, great sound as mentioned in another thread. Jet City had a presence to it that just wasn't there in the Marshall. Smoothness.

Finally, the British designed, Korean built Blackstar HT5. I actually thought this sounded a little nicer in my ears than the Marshall. A bit more smooth than the Marshall, but not as smooth as the Jet City.

I will admit, that blue panel on the Jet City is ugly as sin... but...nothing matters as much as the sound. That blue baffle can be changed and Jet City even offers baffle alternatives as they have received a lot of complaints about that thing. haha.

I got in touch with my buddy Jon who is an amp tech and asked about each of these (I asked him about the Marshall previously). Blackstar has mild reliablility issues. Marshall has some serious reliability issues. Jet City, "I own one and that is saying something. Sturdy as all get out. WELL designed. Simple design. Easy to mod. This thing isn't gonna break easily."

So... the winner of the shootout is Jet City. Sound and reliability... in a $250 head? WHAT?

When I get on the otherside of the Starlite build, I am gonna look into one of these and take it to my buddy for a mild mod.

I had a JCA2112 for a while it was great until I messed with the tubes. I rather liked the tone of the amp, but with my strat, I could not get a loud enough clean volume on the amp for blues or other clean songs. Jet City was founded by Mike Soldano, and he had a lot to do with this amp. There is a new model they came out with that is similiar to the JCA 20, but it has two channels and effects loop. Of all the Chinese amps, I'd say Jet City is the best.

It is for that very reason I MIGHT be looking at the 50w. BUT... I was able to get that thing pretty scary loud and reasonably clean.

What may happen is I'd get the 20 and if it doesn't work.. sell it and get the 50.

I think that new model is JCA22H or something like that.

As I have yet to try one, I cannot judge it. I did find their "pico" valve amp that can use about any power tube you can find rather poor sounding... No wonder why GC is trying to sell them for $125 now. I cannot say one positive thing about that amp other than its small. But that is one of the few amps that Soldano had nothing to do with... and it shows.

As I have yet to try one, I cannot judge it. I did find their "pico" valve amp that can use about any power tube you can find rather poor sounding... No wonder why GC is trying to sell them for $125 now. I cannot say one positive thing about that amp other than its small. But that is one of the few amps that Soldano had nothing to do with... and it shows.

Never tried one of those. Kinda glad I didn't now! haha.

Archived